+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Townshend Avalon

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I wonder what the physics of the fluid damping is when related to tracking and the tonearm.
    As it was explained to me once, it's a bit like being in a swimming pool. If you're in the water and gently move your hand from side to side you can do it easily, as the resistance of the fluid is minimal. But the faster you try and move your hand the stronger the resistance - until eventually you get a kind of hydraulic lock. So this works in the same way - minimising any micromovement between the arm and cantilever by damping all movement above a certain frequency, and presenting what is effectively a totally rigid structure (in terms of the interface between cantilever and groove) that can still track across a record and ride any warps. It's very clever.

As to the risk of fluid spill, it's minimal unless you're a complete klutz... the only way you could really do it would be to lift the arm and outrigger clear of the trough (which if set up right can't be done with the arm lift) and swing the trough away, leaving the paddle to drip on the record. Unlikely, but someone somewhere has done it. They probably shouldn't be left unsupervised anyway...
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Martin.

Well yes it seems very clever in that they have engineered it to fit together and allow an arm to track with a paddle and trough system. Its certainly intriguing and shouts Im a serious product.

I just wonder why Ive never seen it on anything else but a Townsend and if it was that good why have I never seen it on a system that would be owned/demonstrated by the Stereophile set.

So not enough of a difference for other manufacturers to bother with it on licence? Im not saying it doesnt work. It just seems like a lot of extra engineering and fuss for the benefits involved.

I'm jamie.

have you actually heard one or used one?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Stuart.

I'm only speculating, but I suspect it may have been a patent/licence issue.

I'm Adrian.

I'm looking for a second deck and am seriously tempted by the rock, only thing that I don't like is its belt driven. But I get the thinking and can imagine the benefits of the paddle and trough.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Ian.

Cool Trough and paddle on other decks

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    I'm looking for a second deck and am seriously tempted by the rock, only thing that I don't like is its belt driven. But I get the thinking and can imagine the benefits of the paddle and trough.
    People have bought the trough and paddle separately and then used them on decks such as the 401, so I am sure that the system could be used on at least some direct drive decks.

Ian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456