+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi region playing blu ray...

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Default Multi region playing blu ray...

Ok, who's got a multi region capable BD player with blu rays, not DVDs?

I'll be honest & say i know i do & i wouldn't go back to just a region B player nono.gif

Nearly all of my blu rays are bought on ebay & quite often the region A (USA) encoded discs go cheap due to the vast majority not being able to play them Apart from that it gives me the opportunity to import them myself which i have been known to do on quite a few occasions.

I think i got my first simply because i saw a Panasonic (DMP-BD80) advertised at a superb price so snapped it up. Upon plumbing it all in my jaw hit the floor due to the vastly better picture than what i was using previously (Sony BDP-S550) A little later i purchased another from a different seller & have been very happy ever since.. The Panny also upscales DVD very well indeed, in fact i'd go so far to say it's pretty astonishing.

So, can you play region A, B & C blu rays? If so i guess it's possible i might be bidding against you one day Sorry

E2A:- Both my Panasonics have the ICOS mod, to change between regions i simply press a button on the remote before powering it up.. strangely 1 = A, 2 = B & 3 = C...lol
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Ok, who's got a multi region capable BD player with blu rays, not DVDs?

I'll be honest & say i know i do & i wouldn't go back to just a region B player nono.gif

Nearly all of my blu rays are bought on ebay & quite often the region A (USA) encoded discs go cheap due to the vast majority not being able to play them Apart from that it gives me the opportunity to import them myself which i have been known to do on quite a few occasions.

I think i got my first simply because i saw a Panasonic (DMP-BD80) advertised at a superb price so snapped it up. Upon plumbing it all in my jaw hit the floor due to the vastly better picture than what i was using previously (Sony BDP-S550) A little later i purchased another from a different seller & have been very happy ever since.. The Panny also upscales DVD very well indeed, in fact i'd go so far to say it's pretty astonishing.

So, can you play region A, B & C blu rays? If so i guess it's possible i might be bidding against you one day Sorry

E2A:- Both my Panasonics have the ICOS mod, to change between regions i simply press a button on the remote before powering it up.. strangely 1 = A, 2 = B & 3 = C...lol
    Hi

I was using an Oppo BDP-83 which was Multi-Zone Blu-Ray. You change the zones from the remote control.

Now using an Oppo BDP-93EU, just waiting on the Multi-Zone kits in 2-3 weeks.

The BDP-93EU with the latest firmware is excellent, Oppo have worked hard to get it right, improve performance and for less cost than the 83.
    Mark @ Audiocom, Wales UK - 01646 650008

Website

Facebook

Twitter

MartinT Guest

Yes Mark, as previously mentioned I have a multiregion Sony BDP-S300 capable of region A/B Blu-rays and 1/2 DVDs. I frequently buy discs in the USA when I'm out there. ICOS mod on mine too.

I'm David.

ICOS mod? What's that?
    I think mines a bdps500 ... Or 550 ... How do you make it region free ... Does it apply to DVD and BD then?
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

MartinT Guest

I bought mine from Multiregionmagic, complete with the mod installed. I'm not sure if the mod can be retro-fitted, but you could ask him. Very friendly chap (Paul Taylor) to deal with.

http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    ICOS mod? What's that?
    I think mines a bdps500 ... Or 550 ... How do you make it region free ... Does it apply to DVD and BD then?
    The ICOS HD region free mod works by allowing the user to change the Blu-ray zones, A, B & C from the remote control. DVD regions are automatically selected.

Mod chips like ICOS are relatively easy to install. Some region free mods require soldering and may invalidate the manufacturers warranty.

For the Sony BDP-S500 an ICOS mod chip is available but apparently extremely hard to install.
    Mark @ Audiocom, Wales UK - 01646 650008

Website

Facebook

Twitter

I'm David.

Bugger ... Its def a 550 I have ... Ah well ...
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Mike.

Got a Samsung SH-B083L internal Bluray in my PC, it's multi region so no worries there

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Matt.

I have a hardware modded multiregion Oppo BDP-83 and don't see any reason to upgrade yet. As I have no interest in 3D films (and prefer a plot!) there does not seem any justification in spending more money. I'd say I use it more for playback via USB than Blu-ray with a 120GB 2.5" HDD attached. Just wish they would add support for something better than FAT32 though.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by mattross View Post
    Just wish they would add support for something better than FAT32 though.
    The OPPO 93 and 95 support NTFS formatted drives.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast