+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you got ? and can it play music to an ok standard ?

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Default What have you got ? and can it play music to an ok standard ?

I thought i would start the ball rolling as it were

I know some of you on here hate surround sound , and to be honest my interest has waned over the years , but i have had surround since 1987 , but until 1998 i used cheap add on unit's , a Marrantz thingy and then the Mordaunt Short processor.

At the moment i have a Yamaha RXV1700 which believe it or not has a very good phono stage , well IMHO ! i compared it to the 640p and there didn't seem anything in it , overall the big yammy performs well and of course is great with movies but it is a compromise to be sure ! and i accept that , its not bad though and sounding so different to the other set up actually give's a nice contrast .

So what have you guy's got ! have you found a good allrounder or do you just hate AV amp's with a passion , i find the Yamaha does the bis for me and with the Freeviw and sat HD box , DVD player and playstation malarky , i need the conectivity of this beast.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Will.

As I've mentioned on a couple of other threads I've integrated my main stereo and AV surround sound systems, via a Yamaha DSP800.

Which provides basic DTS and DD 5.1 decoding, rear, cantre, and subwoofer channels and amplification, whilst passing the L & R channels to my Audiolab 8000Q (main stereo pre amp).

I actually spread the centre channel across the left and right front channel, which means this is passed to my main stereo too, and have ceased to use a subwoofer as there is so much bass from my main system and surround speakers already.

It is very easy to balance the channels.

So my TV(Viera), SKY HD, and Blu-Ray(Viera) player all feed into the Yamaha DSP800 digitally, which is feeding/driving my rear surrounds (Bose AM-5s), the front R & L (and therefore centre too) are then fed into my main Audiolab 8000Q/SX/P stereo amps, and then to my Mission 753s. All my AV channels are set to full.

I think this is a nice compromise for anyone who has a lot of money invested in their main stereo, and is also a great way of utilising that quality stereo system in their AV solution.

Movies & Sport (Sky sports HD is often in DD 5.1) sound excellent, and music blu-rays sound fantastic on DTS, particularly because the centre is spread between L & R, I'd tried a centre speaker (mission 780C) but I found the sound much better when passing it to the main stereo.

Works for me and I think one could do this with most decent AV amps, I just like the fact that the DSP800 was designed for this purpose.
    Cheers, Will

I'm David.

The dsp 800 - How do you set the centre channel to the fronts ... Is it just a setting on the amp?
    Does it have 6 channel ins and outs?
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    How do you set the centre channel to the fronts ... Is it just a setting on the amp?
    Hi Hamish,

Yes it's a setting on the DSP800...

Makes a massive difference when playing back music dvds/blu rays, as an awful lot gets put through the centre channel, and I'd rather my main system handled that.

It only does 5.1 however, but will also accept analogue inputs, but that would undermine it's value IMHO.

Using the AM-5s at the back gives me a kind of pseudo 7.1, well sort of

Edit; Perhaps its one small downside to the DSP800 is that it pre dates HDMI, so for the audio I run optical toslinks from my sources to the DSP800, and HDMIs from them directly to my TV for the video, it would be nice to be able to use it as an HDMI switcher too...
    Last edited by WAD62; 06-01-2011 at 12:07.
    Cheers, Will

I'm David.

Yeah, me too ... This is exactly what I have been looking for ... I skimmed over the 800 thinking it wouldn't have all the specs I needed ... Turns out it does and you can get them for about £40 ... And in black too ... Perfic! Cheers Will ...

Do us a tiny favour will, can you measure the box including the feet for me ...

And, when you say dsp 800, that's the same as a dsp e800 isn't it ...

Oh and another thing, using the multi channel outs from a bluray into the multi channel in, then rear speakers out the dsp 800 then multichannel out from the dsp 800 to my pre amp for the front speakers surely means you aren't using the "dsp" part of the dsp 800 so the out dated 5.1 and dts spec is of no relevance anyway... The bluray player is doing the dts hd or whatnot hd audio bit and just sending analogue signals to the multi channel amp part of the dsp 800 ... Right?
    Last edited by The Vinyl Adventure; 06-01-2011 at 12:25.
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Will.

Yeah, me too ... This is exactly what I have been looking for ... I skimmed over the 800 thinking it wouldn't have all the specs I needed ... Turns out it does and you can get them for about £40 ... And in black too ... Perfic! Cheers Will ...
    I'm amazed that no one seems to have come out with an alternative, or a modern day replacement, with HDMIs & 7.1...

At £200 new it was a steal, at £40 it should be compulsory...

N.B. Make sure the remote is fully functional as some of the functions, particularly the 'white noise generator' (essential for balancing in your main stereo) is only accessible from there. My original got squashed, but I managed to pick up a replacement for about £40 new, so there must be a lot of them out there.

...enjoy

Just seen your sizing request...back in a sec...

It's as you rightly say the DSP-E800, and it's about 12cm high, standard width, check out the photo, it's the one at the bottom below a pile of audiolab.

I'm feeding digital audio directly in from all my sources (it has multiple toslink inputs), so I am using its DSP capabilities, and am therefore limited to DD/DTS 5.1, hence I can pass the centre across the R & L, as this is a DSP function.

I'd not advise using it in an analogue configuration, there are probably better alternatives...
    Last edited by WAD62; 06-01-2011 at 12:36.
    Cheers, Will

I'm David.

... Yeah, sorry, I added another bit to that post still ... Trying to reduce my post count increase speed

I'm Terry.

Do us a tiny favour will, can you measure the box including the feet for me ...

And, when you say dsp 800, that's the same as a dsp e800 isn't it ...

Oh and another thing, using the multi channel outs from a bluray into the multi channel in, then rear speakers out the dsp 800 then multichannel out from the dsp 800 to my pre amp for the front speakers surely means you aren't using the "dsp" part of the dsp 800 so the out dated 5.1 and dts spec is of no relevance anyway... The bluray player is doing the dts hd or whatnot hd audio bit and just sending analogue signals to the multi channel amp part of the dsp 800 ... Right?
    I have a DSP-E800 presently in the loft, from the manual it is :

Width 435mm x Height 126 mm x 391mm Depth weight 10kg

If you wish the full spec. I could scan and send to you.

Hope this helps

Terry

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post

I'm feeding digital audio directly in from all my sources (it has multiple toslink inputs), so I am using its DSP capabilities, and am therefore limited to DD/DTS 5.1, hence I can pass the centre across the R & L, as this is a DSP function.

I'd not advise using it in an analogue configuration, there are probably better alternatives...
    Ah, yes... Makes sence, yeah I was wondering how it was possible to send the centre to the fronts ... ... I was being a thicky!

Hi Terry,

No it's alright buddy, I just found this which has given me the info I needed otherwise ...

Cheers though!

I'm David.

... Height... 126mm ... Would you belive I have exactly 125mm in the space I want to put it ... Ah well ... I'd have to have a shuffle around of bits again...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast