+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 'Nuding' a DL-103

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice work, John!

I'm sure that the results will be positive, as the standard 103 shell is quite resonant. It's one of the reasons why the 'SA' with its glass fibre composite epoxy shell is so much better.

Could you do me a favour? Once you've got used to the presentation of your 103 in its 'nude' state, could you try adding some damping (Blu-tak or whatever) to the inside of the body shell and then attaching it back to the generator assembly?

I'd just like to know what happens, and if you end up with the same result as removing the shell

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Could you do me a favour? Once you've got used to the presentation of your 103 in its 'nude' state, could you try adding some damping (Blu-tak or whatever) to the inside of the body shell and then attaching it back to the generator assembly?
    Thanks for your comments, guys.

Marco - I don't think I fancy risking the above. The damping stuff could easily foul some delicate part of the assembly. It would be a lot easier and safer to investigate this by adding damping to the outside of a body shell.

Sure, ok, could you try that then?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm John.

Marco -

I appreciate it's all in the interests of Science, Audio and the Greater Good, etc. but I'm not going there. To put it back in its original state I'd have to put the glue back!
    Last edited by jonners; 18-04-2009 at 21:07. Reason: removed rogue apostrophe

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Barry,

Sorry I missed this! No, I haven't taken the plunge yet with an EMT. Basically, I've still to decide which 'hi-end' classic MC to invest in - either an XSD-15 or some type of Ortofon SPU.

Given my current experiences with the Shure M3D, I suspect that I may have sated (slightly, perhaps) the lust for an SPU, as the M3D sounds remarkably similar, and at a mere fraction of the price, so this may give me the green light to invest in an EMT. Incidentally, do you know of any good suppliers, perhaps ones you've used? The ones I've seen are mostly in Germany.

Marco.

No problem Marco,

Having read your ecstatic findings on the M3D, you probably just want to 'tread water', sit back and enjoy your new acquisition. Can it really be that good?

I too fancy having a listen to an SPU, based on my appreciation of the SL15E s, both Mark I and II versions. Ortofon did, after all, patent the moving coil cartridge, and it was only when the patent ran out that there was the explosion of Japanese designs. Now that Ortofon are remaking them in larger quantities, the urge has lessened; however according to the cognoscenti, the Japanese sourced SPUs are not as good as the Danish originals. Think I've heard this sort of thing before.

Regarding sourcing EMTs, well I'm sorry but I can't be of much help. The two conical tipped versions I have (one integrated in its own headshell, the second a 'nude' version) were bought used from private sellers in this country. The other sample with a fine line stylus came with the EMT deck and arm, that again was bought used, coming this time from a seller in Hungary. Apart from keeping an eye on eBay (and again, of those that I have seen, the sellers are based in Europe), and also reading the classified ads in the various magazines, I can only direct your attention to either:

'Studiotechnik Dutsch' at www.emt-profi.de, or to

Hans Fabritus at www.fabtech.de.

Both of these occasionally have used items for sale, and I believe Studiotechnik Dutsch may have started manufacture. Apologies if I'm giving you information that you already know. I think the latest incarnation, the JSD6, sell for about £2,500 (!) (it might be Euro, but with the present exchange rate it makes little difference).

Also look out for the 'Tubaphon' TU-2, TU-2S and TU-3. These are 'nude' EMTs fitted with capacitors across the output (presumably to tame a rising treble) and were marketed by Tubaphon. Michael Fremer gave them all a very good review in Stereophile, Feb 2000. I'll quote the opening paragraph to whet your appetite: 'Perhaps after hearing a few of these exotic bodiless designs from Germany, you'll reconsider the desirability of "neutrality". While these EMT cartridges are not dead neutral, their subtle deviations yield some of the most pleasurable, intoxicating listening I've experienced in quite some time'.

The TU-2 has a Super Fineline stylus on an aluminium cantilever, with an output of 1.5mV, and the TU-2S is a low output device (110uV), fitted with a Van den Hul stylus, also on an aluminium catilever. Finally the TU-3 uses a boron cantilever, is low output (210uV) and can be fitted with either a Super Fineline stylus or a sapphire Gyger S stylus. Quoted prices (in the US in 2000) were: TU-2, $1795; TU-2S, $2195: TU-3, $2750 if with a fineline stylus and $2995 if fitted with the Gyger stylus. Fremer was not overly taken with the TU-2, but did like the TU-2S and both TU-3 versions. Not surprisingly he liked the TU-3 with the Gyger stylus the best.

I've probably subjected you to 'information overload', but I try to give as full an answer as I can when asked.

Regards

Barry

Marco -

I appreciate it's all in the interests of Science, Audio and the Greater Good, etc. but I'm not going there. To put it back in its original state I'd have to put the glue back!
    Hi John,

No, I meant this:

It would be a lot easier and safer to investigate this by adding damping to the outside of a body shell.

Barry, I'll come back to you later - just listening to some tunes at the moment on the M3D!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123