+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Nuding' a DL-103

Interesting.

What about mounting the NUDE (Ooh) 103 on one of those sticky Cartridge Man Isolator thingies which decouple the cart from the head shell?

I'm Dave.

Someone should try nuding a DL103PRO.

This is my 103pro that I recently trashed, it's coming back at the weekend with new sapphire cantilever and stylus. It's taken ages for Expert Stylus Co to turn this around, as they're inundated by orders from the States.
    Nick.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The Zu is interesting and I've contemplated getting one for a while, but as the purchase of an EMT XSD-15 is imminent I'm not sure that I need another cartridge!

Marco.
    Marco, have you got any further with this? I would be interested in a comparison of your DL103SA (a variant which is new to me; I assume that it does not have a conical stylus) with the EMT.

As for any comparison between 'nude' versions, I am afraid that I'm reluctant to have a go, as I don't want to damage my 103 (I've had it for less than 6 months and it has had only 25 hrs of use). My nude EMT is so delicate that again I would be apprehensive about removing it from the arm, to allow its replacement with a nude 103.

Perhaps a good slug of whisky is called for, but there again, maybe not.

Regards

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post

Perhaps a good slug of whisky is called for, but there again, maybe not.

Barry
    Maybe not!
    Setting up these nude carts calls for a large slug of sobriety IME, to my cost I have brushed my original 103 stylus into oblivion using too much cleaning fluid, and laterly twatted the ESCo retip whilst fiddling, upon reflection the common denominator in both cases invloved varying measures of alcohol.
    Nick.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Scoobs - I was actually joking, though I take what you say seriously. The only experience I have had in 'nuding' cartridges was to remove the cover from a Linn Asak - can't say I heard any difference.

It is not easy to report on differences between a nude EMT and the EMT in its integral headshell as mine are fitted in separate arms.

Sorry to hear about your cartridges; I regard my nude EMT as rather vulnerable and clean it very carefully with a camel hair paint brush. The fine wires emerging from the coils appear especially delicate. One day they will probably become damaged - then I will have a big glass of whisky, to drown my sorrows.

Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Marco, have you got any further with this? I would be interested in a comparison of your DL103SA (a variant which is new to me; I assume that it does not have a conical stylus) with the EMT.
    Hi Barry,

Sorry I missed this! No, I haven't taken the plunge yet with an EMT. Basically, I've still to decide which 'hi-end' classic MC to invest in - either an XSD-15 or some type of Ortofon SPU.

Given my current experiences with the Shure M3D, I suspect that I may have sated (slightly, perhaps) the lust for an SPU, as the M3D sounds remarkably similar, and at a mere fraction of the price, so this may give me the green light to invest in an EMT. Incidentally, do you know of any good suppliers, perhaps ones you've used? The ones I've seen are mostly in Germany.

With reference to the 103SA, yes, it does have a conical stylus the same as the standard 103. The advantage of the 'SA' is in its use of OFC wiring and, the 'biggie', a vastly improved low-resonance body shell, which removes the very issues Yomanze discussed earlier. Consequently, this moves the 'SA' into another league, sonically.

I hope this helps

Marco.

P.S I'm really enjoying your contributions, and particularly your taste in wine (which I'll get to later), so keep up the good work!
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Nude.....

Many years ago I used to use my VDH MC10 nude and the Lyra Clavis. It was easy to remove the bodies but a very scary thing to do....boy those internal wires look like hairs, very delicate. There was a difference but for me the fear factor took the enjoyment away so I put the bodies back on. The sound was a wee bit more open...I guess a subtle layer of colouration due to vibration may have been removed.

I was using an ET 2 arm at the time and I was once in the process of lowering the arm for playing when I sneezed, the arm went flying across the record (air bearing, no friction)but thankfully no harm was done. Cart body went back on after I recovered.

Its worth doing if you can, but living dangerously is part of the experience and maybe the fun too, but with expensive carts its to scary for me.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm John.

Default DL-103 bodyectomy

Number 10 scalpel, nurse.... and a shot of valium for the surgeon.

Having psyched myself up through reading this thread, today I successfully denuded my DL-103. The Thomas Schick video was a great help, so thank you Thomas if you happen to be looking.

The body came away reasonably easily - I think mine had less glue in it than the one in the video.

I glued a piece of ebony just over 3mm thick to the top of the cart and bolted it to the LH-18 headshell.

Initial listening impressions are very favourable - more clarity and 'atmosphere', a sense of the presentation having been cleaned up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jonners, you're a far braver man than I. I don't mind ripping stuff apart and fiddling, but not when it's that delicate.
    Simon
    ------
    KEF Reference 201/2, Quad II Classic Integrated, Pure Sound P10, Pure Sound T10, Pro-Ject RPM 10, Pro-Ject 10cc, Goldring Legacy, Atlas Mavros speaker cable, NVA interconnects, Merlin Black Widow mains cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast