+ Reply to Thread
Page 977 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 477877927967975976977978979987102710771477 ... LastLast
Results 9,761 to 9,770 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    49th Parallel, 1941. Directed by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger. Stars Anton Walbrook, Eric Portman, Glynis Johns, Raymond Massey, Laurence Olivier and Leslie Howard.
    Amazing cast there Grant, don't think I've seen it though. Anton Walbrook was a great actor, I thought he was tremendous as 'Michael Strogoff'.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 05-07-2021 at 14:17.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Amazing cast there Grant, don't think I've seen it though. Anton Walbrook was a great actor, I thought he was tremendous as 'Michael Strogoff'.
    yes its quite good in a propaganda way of course. the germans were furious.lol

i think either powell or pressburger struggled to get back into britain after making it as one didnt have british passport. Think Leslie Howard sorted it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    One of his best now. The Criterion bluray of Notorious, 1946 starring Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, and Claude Rains. Hitch again directs.

This is the Criterion BluRay and alas is only available in region A. Fortunately my Oppo will play them so I imported it from the states.

This new digital restoration was undertaken by The Walt Disney Company and the Criterion Collection. A new digital transfer was created in 4K resolution on a Lasergraphics Director film scanner at Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging in Burbank, California, from three elements: the 35mm original camera negative and a 35mm nitrate fine-grain, both held by the Museum of Modern Art, and a 35mm safety fine-grain held by the British Film Institute. Several sections of the original camera negative, the primary source for this restoration, have sustained damage over the years and been replaced by duplicate negatives; for some of these portions, the fine-grains were used. Thousands of instances of dirt, debris, scratches, splices, and warps were manually removed using MTI Film's DRS, while Digital Vision's Phoenix was used for jitter, flicker, small dirt, grain, and noise management. The original monaural soundtrack was first restored in 2001 from a 1954 35mm acetate release print and a 35mm nitrate fine-grain master. Additional restoration work was performed by the Criterion Collection for this release, using Pro Tools HD and iZotope RX.

Scanning supervision: Theo Gluck/The Walt Disney Company, Burbank, CA.
    Colorist: Lee Kline/Criterion Post, New York.
    Digital scan assembly: Cara Shatzman/Criterion Post."

Superb
    this again... top film
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Scarlett Street, 1945. directed by Fritz Lang and stars Edward G. Robinson, Joan Bennett and Dan Duryea. All 3 also played similar roles in the earlier 1944 The Woman in the Window also directed by Lang. But with a slightly different story and ending etc. This one was banned in several states at the time.

Last edited by struth; 06-07-2021 at 12:28.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Oddity this but a good cast and this farce plays out fairly well. Blame It On The BellBoy, 1996. Starring Dudley Moore, Bryan Brown, Richard Griffiths, Andreas Katsulas, Patsy Kensit, Alison Steadman and Penelope Wilton. It was directed by Mark Herman.

The film was critically panned by all...lol ... but i like it so up the critics; wtf do they know
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Count of Monte Cristo ,2002.(he say yes)directed by Kevin Reynolds, from the novel of same name by Alexandre Dumb Ass.

Ive a couple of versions of this story; this one stars Jim Caviezel, Guy Pearce, and Richard Harris.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Bishop's Wife, 1947. directed by Henry Koster and starring Cary Grant, Loretta Young, and David Niven.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I'm Grant.

Tora! Tora! Tora!, 1970. directed by Richard Fleischer, Toshio Masuda and Kinji Fukasaku, and stars an ensemble cast including Martin Balsam, Joseph Cotten, So Yamamura, E.G. Marshall, James Whitmore, Tatsuya Mihashi, Takahiro Tamura, Wesley Addy, and Jason Robards.

Not the greatest war film by any means but the action scenes are impressive
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Prisoner Of Zenda, 1979. Comedy directed by Richard Quine and adapted from the 1894 adventure novel by Anthony Hope. Stars Peter Sellers, Lynne Frederick, Lionel Jeffries, Elke Sommer, Gregory Sierra, Jeremy Kemp and Catherine Schell.

The score by Henry Mancini was a highlight of the film and gained some critical acclaim. It was also Quine's final film as director before dying in 1989.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread