+ Reply to Thread
Page 975 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 475875925965973974975976977985102510751475 ... LastLast
Results 9,741 to 9,750 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Martin.

Moon (2009)

Was going to give this a pass until I noticed that it starred Sam Rockwell so thought I'd give it a chance despite modern sci-fi being pretty universally dismal.

Rockwell is the sole inhabitant of a mining base on the far side of the moon, nearing the end of a 3 year tour. When weird stuff starts to happen you wonder if he is cracking up or if it is real.

Not bad at all, keeps you guessing as to what's going on almost to the end. High production values and Rockwell is very good as always. Worth a watch.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

Moon (2009)

Was going to give this a pass until I noticed that it starred Sam Rockwell so thought I'd give it a chance despite modern sci-fi being pretty universally dismal.

Rockwell is the sole inhabitant of a mining base on the far side of the moon, nearing the end of a 3 year tour. When weird stuff starts to happen you wonder if he is cracking up or if it is real.

Not bad at all, keeps you guessing as to what's going on almost to the end. High production values and Rockwell is very good as always. Worth a watch.
    got that in my free prime list to watch..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Here Comes Mr. Jordan, 1941. This is the Criterionremastered to 2k version bluray., which is mostly terrific so far. Stars Robert Montgomery, Claude Rains and Evelyn Keyes, and directed by Alexander Hall.

Harry Segall won the Academy Award for Best Story, while Sidney Buchman and Seton I. Miller won for Best Screenplay. Nominations included: Best Picture, Montgomery for Best Actor in a Leading Role, Hall for Best Director, Gleason for Best Actor in a Supporting Role and Joseph Walker for Best Cinematography, Black-and-White.

One of the greats this for me.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Carry on Cleo, 1964. Amanda Barry as Cleo, and very pretty she was.
    Many of the main costumes came from the Burton/Taylor Cleopatra film
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Moon (2009)

Yes - it's a good film. Seen it a few times.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Barry Lyndon, 1975, dircted by Stanley Kubrick and stars Ryan O'Neil, Marisa Berenson, Patrick Magee, Leonard Rossiter, and Hardy Krüger.
    This is the Criterion Region A bluray 2 disc set.

"Barry Lyndon is presented in the film's photographed aspect ratio of 1.66:1, as specified in a December 8, 1975, letter from director Stanley Kubrick to projectionists. This new digital transfer was created in 16-bit 4K resolution on a Lasergraphics Director film scanner from the 35mm original camera negative. The high-definition transfer created in 2000 and supervised by Leon Vitali, Kubrick's personal assistant, served as a color reference for this new master. Thousands of instances of dirt, debris, scratches, splices, and warps were manually removed using MTI Film's DRS, while Digital Vision's Phoenix was used for jitter, flicker, small dirt, grain, and noise management. The original monaural soundtrack was remastered from the 35mm magnetic DME (dialogue, music, and effects) track. Clicks, thumps, hiss, hum, and crackle were manually removed using Pro Tools HD and iZotope RX. The alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack was created in 2000 from original soundtrack stems by Vitali and audio engineer Chris Jenkins.

Transfer supervisor: Lee Kline.
    Colorist: Janet Wilson/Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging, Burbank, CA."
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Barry Lyndon, 1975, dircted by Stanley Kubrick and stars Ryan O'Neil, Marisa Berenson, Patrick Magee, Leonard Rossiter, and Hardy Krüger."
    I remember seeing that when it was released. I enjoyed it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

One of my favourites that. A perfect film, a superb work of art.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

One of my favourites that. A perfect film, a superb work of art.
    yeah a great film... another now coming up
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Day The Earth Caught Fire, 1961, directed by Val Guest and stars Edward Judd, Leo McKern and Janet Munro. Also features Arthur Christiansen as the Express editor, a job he had held in real life.
    This is the BFI 4K remastered version on 2K bluray.

In his commentary track, director Val Guest stated that the sound of church bells heard at the very end of the American version had been added by distributor Universal, in order to suggest that the emergency detonation had succeeded and that the Earth had been saved. Guest speculated that the bells motif had been inspired by the film The War of the Worlds (1953), which ends with the joyous ringing of church bells after the emergency (and a nuclear explosion). But Guest maintained that his intention was to always have an ambiguous ending.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread