+ Reply to Thread
Page 954 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 454854904944952953954955956964100410541454 ... LastLast
Results 9,531 to 9,540 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

The Apartment, 1960. Directed by Billy Wilder and stars Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine and Fred MacMurray.

4K restoration by Arrow Academy. The film won 5 Academy Awards and was a box office hit, although some critics and members of the public still living in the older days' style of morality(ie everything behind closed dorrs) thought it a "dirty, filthy movie" alas... Nowadays that does somewhat make one wonder how they explained 2 world wars or the indian massacres
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

The Big Short (2015)

lorna doone setting crossword

Based on the true story of various people who predicted the sub-prime crash of 2008 and made a few bob out of it. Interesting and entertaining, good performances, well worth a watch.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Terminator Genisys, 2015. directed by Alan Taylor.

Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Walkabout, 1971. Directed by Nicolas Roeg. Brand new 4k scan of this film. Jenny Agutter stars.

BluRay comes with 3 books in this ltd ed set. the original book, the first script and some essays and photos.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Walkabout, 1971. Directed by Nicolas Roeg. Brand new 4k scan of this film. Jenny Agutter stars.

BluRay comes with 3 books in this ltd ed set. the original book, the first script and some essays and photos.
    Excellent and almost surreal film. Not seen it for a long time but it was better than I remembered.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Red, 2010.. Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren and Mary Louis Parker

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Off to war on the high seas now with Charles Frend's 1953 classic, The Cruel Sea. Stars Jack Hawkins, Donald Sinden, Denholm Elliott, Stanley Baker and Virginia McKenna..

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

I see Stanley Baker was a wavy navy officer (reserves). I always wondered if they were all already volunteer reserves at the start of the war, like the Auxiliary air force, or if all volunteers were recruited as reserves all the way through the war, to distinguish themselves from the pre war career professionals. Does anyone know?

I'm Grant.

The rnvr was how new officers got into the navy. There was, before war out broke the rnvsr(supplementary) which was a sort of crash course for yaghtsmen etc. They all wore same uniform.. Ordinary seamen went straight to the rn
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    The rnvr was how new officers got into the navy. There was, before war out broke the rnvsr(supplementary) which was a sort of crash course for yaghtsmen etc. They all wore same uniform.. Ordinary seamen went straight to the rn
    Makes sense, I'm guessing the professional officers would have tended to still man the capital ships in the fleet and the RNVR used more in the new smaller ships built like the Compass Rose in the film.

+ Reply to Thread