+ Reply to Thread
Page 927 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 42782787791792592692792892993797710271427 ... LastLast
Results 9,261 to 9,270 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

The Blues Brothers , 1980.

Directed by John Landis and stars John Belushi as 'Joliet' Jake Blues and Dan Aykroyd as his brother Elwood.

One of the great cult films of its time, it has performances from artists like James Brown, Cab Calloway, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Chaka Khan, and John Lee Hooker.

Last edited by struth; 25-03-2021 at 12:44.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Up in bed and got plex working.
    So Absolute Power, 1997. Stars Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman and Ed Harris in male roles. Laura Linney and Judy Davis in the female
    Quality film.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Never heard of that one, and I like Clint. And Gene. And Ed. And Scott. Passed me by.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

It's not that great.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

For anyone who hasn't already seen it, "Soundbreaking" is being shown again on Sky Arts. Can be found on their catch-up too. In 6 parts, it covers various aspects of recorded music. A must-see for music fans imo.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thanks for the heads-up, daftee. Will check that out

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Right now, this, from 2019...

"Two lighthouse keepers try to maintain their sanity while living on a remote and mysterious New England island in the 1890s.

In a remote island, Ephraim Winslow arrives as a lighthouse keeper and assists his elderly supervisor, Thomas Wake. As days pass, Winslow is haunted by strange and mysterious visions..."

Rather dark and foreboding, claustrophobic, haunting and more than mildly disturbing - just my thing!

And this one is well done, too...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

A rather insightful review [copied from Google]:

"The lighthouse, Robert Eggers most recent claustrophobic horror/psychological thriller is finally out in the UK, and by god is it a sight to behold. Set on a remote lighthouse island (obviously), the plot revolves around a young man (Robert Pattinson) trying to keep his sanity whilst working a four week shift with his extremely unlikeable superior (Willem Dafoe). If you know me well at all you’ll know that I am particularly fond of the psychedelic drama ‘Donnie Darko’ due to its weird and at times disturbing nature, but Donnie Darko doesn’t even come close to being as strange and twisted as this film. As soon as the lighthouse begins the insanely heavy focus on sound design comes in to play and we hear a loud and quite uncomfortable noise, which after being played countless times, gradually blends into the atmosphere. For this reason (amongst others) I think it is worth mentioning that the lighthouse is a very cinematic experience and should be treated as such. I have little doubt that once the film leaves cinemas it will never be experienced in the same way again, so I absolutely recommend that you go out and watch it soon. The sound emitted from the speakers is often so intense that you’ll feel the entire room vibrating, which isn’t helped by Mark Korven’s discomforting score which perfectly accompanies the feeling of suspense present throughout the movie.

With all of this chaos surrounding the two central characters, it becomes apparent that the performances of the protagonists will either make or break the experience on the whole. Fortunately both Pattinson and Dafoe are phenomenal, giving outstanding performances that to my knowledge are the greatest of either actor’s career. Where Pattinson does an outstanding job of portraying a realistic and unsettling descent into madness, Dafoe gives a terrifying impersonation of a cruel, superstitious man who has lived away from society for a large portion of his life. I finally understand the large number of individuals who claim that they were both robbed of Oscar nominations.
    Which brings me to my final topic, the screenplay and the plot in general.
    Each scene has a specific dynamic which is intended to allow a contrast between the moments in which Pattinson is alone, and when he is spending time with Dafoe.

In the instances where the young man is in solitude, Eggers allows the tension to build up with the atmosphere at its peak, however when both him and Dafoe are together most of this is gone in order to allow the two fantastic actors to improvise and show off the extent of their brilliance. This format remains apparent, until the final act of the film in which a shocking and sinister finale combines both of the former elements. By the time it was over, I was completely speechless about the phenomenon I had just witnessed, and remained so for hours to come. The lighthouse is a masterpiece however you look at it, but it also shouldn’t be taken lightly. It is certainly not for the faint of heart, as together with its disturbing atmosphere and the amazing performances of each member of the cast, it is uncomfortable and twisted film that in my opinion definitely would’ve deserved a best picture nomination."
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

I'd probably enjoy that Marco, sounds like my kind of movie. Dafoe is an ace actor!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Yeah, I had you in mind mate, when I posted the above! Trust me, it'll be right up your fucked up, twisted alleyway!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread