+ Reply to Thread
Page 865 of 1487 FirstFirst ... 3657658158558638648658668678759159651365 ... LastLast
Results 8,641 to 8,650 of 14864

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

The Way Ahead, 1944. Stars David Niven.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Dead Man's Folly, 2009. Peter Ustinov stars as Poitot.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Patton, 1970. Directed by Franklin J. Schaffner. Stars George C. Scott and Karl Malden.

“No dumb bastard ever won a war by going out and dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb bastard die for his country.”

The film won six additional Academy Awards to Scott's. His performance won him an Academy Award for Best Actor at the 43rd Academy Awards. He famously refused to accept it, citing a dislike of the voting process and the concept of acting competitions. He was the first actor to do so.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Good film although historically inaccurate.

It's a shame they never repeat his 'Mussolini' mini-series.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

yeah there are a few inaccuracies, mostly for impact and of course the American public. Patton didnt swear as much as portrayed and the opening speech as is, never happened, not did the smarmy meet with Monty. a few others too but overall its a decent job
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Jungle Book, 2016. Directed by Jon Favreau...

Grossed nearly $1000m and for a while was the biggest remake film ever. A Quality voice cast and superb animations linked with human boy is near flawless.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

A tribute to Sean Connery and The Man Who Would Be King, 1975.. Directed by John Huston. Sean Connery and MIchael Caine star.

Based on a novella by Rudyard Kipling, this film was nearly made several times with diffrent stars, as Huston wanted to make it since the early 50's. Initially it was visualised as Humphrey Bogart and Clark Gable, alas both died so the next pair were Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas; following those were Burton/ O'Toole, and then Redford/Newman, before Newman suggested the Connery/Caine duo. well done to Paul as they were perfect for it.

Stuntman Joe Powell doubled for Sean Connery and it was he who performed the fall from the rope bridge at the film's climax. Execution involved a potentially fatal fall of 80 feet onto a pile of cardboard boxes and mattresses. Huston was so impressed with Powell's performance he stated "That's the darndest stunt I've ever seen!" Michael Caine stated that Sean Connery did not like heights and was not fond of the final scene in which he had to walk to the middle of the bridge. Caine recalled: 'There was a day when we were shooting on the rope bridge and Sean turned to John and said "Do you think the bridge looks safe?" John lowered his eyes and said, "Sean, the bridge looks the way it always has. The only difference is that today, you're going to be standing in the middle of it."
    Last edited by struth; 13-11-2020 at 12:26.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Top film that, one of my all time favourites. Must have seen it 20 times.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Top film that, one of my all time favourites. Must have seen it 20 times.
    Same here. It takes some beating.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Peggy Sue Got Married, 1986. directed by Francis Ford Coppola starring Kathleen Turner, Nick Cage and Jim Carey.

excellent cast, and a good story t'boot. was up for 3 oscars and made a healthy profit. Some decent late 50's music too
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread