+ Reply to Thread
Page 819 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 3197197698098178188198208218298699191319 ... LastLast
Results 8,181 to 8,190 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

Dolittle 2020. stars Robert Downey Jr.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I saw it at the cinema when it was first released, and saw it about ten years ago when it was shown on TV.

The script is weak (no explanation of any kind how society got that way), morally simplistic and sentimental. I thought 'Soylent Green' was similarly weak: both poor adaptations of reasonable SF novels.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/logans_run
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I saw it at the cinema when it was first released, and saw it about ten years ago when it was shown on TV.

The script is weak (no explanation of any kind how society got that way), morally simplistic and sentimental. I thought 'Soylent Green' was similarly weak: both poor adaptations of reasonable SF novels.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/logans_run
    I think I have seen it about half a dozen times. It's a flawed film I agree but the concept is an interesting one (everyone is killed when they reach age 30 to control population), the sets are good, and it features Jenny Agutter at the height of her powers. Rotten Tomatoes gives it 62% overall, I'd say that's about right.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Who remembers the TV series spin off?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

picked up the first series of kung fu with david carradine.. not seen it since i was young.. may not have aged well tho
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Who remembers the TV series spin off?
    I think I watched a couple of episodes.

Peter Nicholls in his book 'Fantastic Cinema' gives 'Logan's Run' two stars out of five, meaning "only watch if it is raining and there is nothing better to do". (or 40%)

The ratings are an average of those of Philip Strick (author of Science Fiction Movies), Tom Milne (reviews fantasy films for Monthly Film Bulletin), Ramsey Campbell (horror novelist and reviews films for Halls of Horror) and Peter Nicholls.

An alternative take on the idea of a 'thanatocracy' is partially explored in the film 'Zardoz'. A film that has too many interesting ideas for its own good, is flawed but (again IMO) is a much better film (though Rotten Tomatoes only gave it 47%! ). Worth watching if only to see Sean Connery running around in a loin cloth (), and again most of the females are bra-less and wear flimsy diaphanous tops.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

stay with downey, and a game of shadows from 2011
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm sorted.

I'm Grant.

Earlier today..

Ipcress File.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

How to murder your wife.. Again
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread