+ Reply to Thread
Page 808 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 3087087587988068078088098108188589081308 ... LastLast
Results 8,071 to 8,080 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Never quite 'got' GNR & there are other bands I struggle with who play the kind of music I feel I should like but don't? Oasis, Kings of Leon, Kasabian to name a few.
    Age thing maybe? I was 18 when 'Appetite...' came out, but I'd already seen them on the Jonathan King show a couple of months earlier and liked them. Bought it straight away so I have the version with the banned cover.

Apparently when they were told they had to change the cover because major retailers were refusing to stock it they wanted to change it to a picture of the space shuttle exploding...

Got Kings of Leon first album, not my sort of thing at all. Kasabian? yeah, right.... Oasis first two are good, after that nope. Rock music finished for me after 'What's The Story...' Oasis were the last proper rock stars.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Age thing maybe?
    Yes, possibly. I was 18 in 1977 which probably explains my penchant for things purple, black & (sometimes) pink.

I'm Martin.

That decade makes a difference. My theory is that with the odd exception music you hear after about age 25 doesn't get its hooks into you the same way music you hear when you're younger than that did.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm sorted.

Know what you mean. These days I tend to have 'flirtations' with new bands, or bands that are new to me but my ardour seldom lasts & then popping 'in rock' on the 401 is like slipping on a comfy pair of slippers.

I'm Grant.

That decade makes a difference. My theory is that with the odd exception music you hear after about age 25 doesn't get its hooks into you the same way music you hear when you're younger than that did.
    Not sure.. ive more hooks into me music wise on recent stuff than old stuff i think, or recent to me anyway
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Adam's Rib. 1949.. Hepburn/Tracy film.

Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Not sure I agree about the age. My formative years, music-wise were the late '60s, yet the '70 produced so many good acts that the decade's music forms a sizable part of my collection. I was still listening to the music of the '80s, '90s and the '00s, and adding some acts to my collection (Jools Holland's 'Later' and Glastonbury were/are a big help in that regard).

However things for me tailed off significantly in the '10s. Probably my age now, but I find modern acts to be either anodyne, ephemeral or just downright unlistenable. But in matters of taste: De gustibus non disputandem est - suum cuique.

(BTW I do like Oasis's first two discs, but that more of it reminding me of a time and a place. Guns & Roses, Kasabian, Franz Ferdinand never did anything for me either.)
    Barry

I'm Grant.

last of the mohicans 1992.. Daniel Day-Lewis stars.. Director by Michael Mann.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

For us, the Great War is finito, a war which would be a damn sight simpler if we just stayed in England and shot fifty thousand of our men a week.

BLACKADDER GOES FORTH.

Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here again'
    Last edited by struth; 26-07-2020 at 16:38.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread