+ Reply to Thread
Page 651 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 1515516016416496506516526536617017511151 ... LastLast
Results 6,501 to 6,510 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    [Groan] lol... MORE ancient stuff!

Granty, here's your challenge for this week... Find a film, produced on or post 2010, and which you rate and would recommend. Do you think you could do it?

Marco.
    I think I would struggle a bit with that one. Most of my recommendations would be from 70's 80's and 90's. Much beyond that it becomes more about the CGI with its bangs and crashes (where would surround sound be if helicopters hadn't been invented), and less about the characters

Although the film makers are just catering for what the masses want to see, I find these these days it's more a case of "Right stop talking now and go and blow something up"
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

The sweet spot for me started with stuff like "Midnight Cowboy", through the road movies like "Two Lane Black Top" and "Vanishing Point", then "The Exorcist" "The Omen", and thrillers like "Marathon Man" and "French Connection". Plenty more after that, but beyond Tarantino's films things thin out quite a bit.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Grant.

I've lots of modern films. We'll a good few. But the older films were in many cases far superior.

Lots just want to be entertained by their equipment and not the actual film.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I've lots of modern films. We'll a good few. But the older films were in many cases far superior.

Lots just want to be entertained by their equipment and not the actual film.
    Don't I know that, dude! Iz a superficial effects TART

Scuttles off in shame......

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

lol... get Bogey on, and have a ball.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    The sweet spot for me started with stuff like "Midnight Cowboy", through the road movies like "Two Lane Black Top" and "Vanishing Point", then "The Exorcist" "The Omen", and thrillers like "Marathon Man" and "French Connection". Plenty more after that, but beyond Tarantino's films things thin out quite a bit.
    Agree. Plus all this dismal superhero shite they are making now. None of it is worth a second glance. Watched that 'Interstellar' not so long ago as so many people rated it. Just an overly long shaggy dog story. Crap story, crap dialogue, no memorable scenes or situations.

I always think of how much they have spent making this crap, all that money and effort and at the end you just think 'meh' and it's forgotten within minutes. Whereas in the old days they could knock out a film on a tiny budget with half a dozen actors and no location shooting at all and yet produce a thing of genius that can be watched dozens of times over and is always rewarding. 'The Maltese Falcon' for example.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

intersellar was ok, ive seen a lot worse. the martian is better. might watch that soon; ive got the extended cut still to watch.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

decided on The Truman Show. 1998. Stars Jim Carrey, Laura Linney and Ed Harris.

Directed by the great Peter Weir...and from my Amazon Library.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    decided on The Truman Show. 1998. Stars Jim Carrey, Laura Linney and Ed Harris.

Directed by the great Peter Weir...and from my Amazon Library.
    Another one of my favourites - it's got heart, wit, and Natascha McElhone, who although not a classic beauty I never tire of looking at And a perfect vehicle for Jim Carrey, who can be Jim Carrey without going over the top.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Grant.

Gettysburg. 1993 I think.

Very well done this with Martin Sheen as R E Lee.
    Depects the 3 day battle, probably the biggest and most important of the war.

Think there were over 50k casualties from 175k participating. So between 1 in 3.5 chance.. Not good. Casualties were pretty even but it stopped Lees invasion and was the beginning of the end for the South
    Last edited by struth; 05-07-2019 at 18:27.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread