+ Reply to Thread
Page 359 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 2593093493573583593603613694094598591359 ... LastLast
Results 3,581 to 3,590 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Jo.

Default Last night's viewing ~ Martin Scorsese

While I don't rate him as a director Scorsese is without doubt a fantastic teacher and a superb patron of world cinema.

241PPTAIp+tL.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Personal-Jo...rsonal+journey

91xBEIVllvL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Voyage-I...words=scorsese

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Landloper View Post
    While I don't rate him as a director Scorsese is without doubt a fantastic teacher and a superb patron of world cinema.

241PPTAIp+tL.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Personal-Jo...rsonal+journey

91xBEIVllvL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Voyage-I...words=scorsese
    No ? i like a lot of his films... Gangs of ny..mean streets..goodfellas..taxi driver..raging bull..the departed etc all were in my book good. Hes made a few bummers too of course and if you dont like violence in a film then you may struggle

He,s not my no 1 by any means though john.. Sergio Leone, john ford, john huston and quite a few more are ahead but just mine opinion lol
    Last edited by struth; 20-05-2016 at 12:30. Reason: Alter cock up
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

First time ive mirrored from iphone, and its much more usable than ipad. Still getting used to this technology.. Flixster doesnt use airplay so this workaround is great. Wondering if it will also work on skygo ?.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    No ? i like a lot of his films... Gangs of ny..mean streets..goodfellas..taxi driver..raging bull..the departed etc all were in my book good. Hes made a few bummers too of course and if you dont like violence in a film then you may struggle

He,s not my no 1 by any means though john.. Ennio Morricone, john ford, john huston and quite a few more are ahead but just mine opinion lol
    I think you mean Sergio Leone?

Scorsese is pretty good on the whole but I think his particular style doesn't work that well with some films he's done.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Ooops. Aye.. Was flicking through some cds there lol
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

currently the 1989 Wilt... like this film. top notch

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

RED, from 2010 with Bruce Willis... Fab film, and better than the second one, although it was decent too.. Love old guys kickin' ass and pulling chicks lol...WHY CANT i DO THAT!!!!

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Jo.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post

He,s not my no 1 by any means though john.. Sergio Leone, john ford, john huston and quite a few more are ahead but just mine opinion lol

No smutch on those that do enjoy Scorsese's work, Grant. It is just that his films don't seem to make any impact on my imagination. Mean Streets was the film I enjoyed most by him. He comes across as a very likeable man with whom one would be happy to get sozzled.

I'm Jo.

Default Ikite iru Magoroku

Criterion Eclipse Series box Kinoshita and World War II

Eclipse_3D_Kinoshita_box_original.jpg

The Living Magoroku

MV5BOWNkNGI1YTMtM2U4MC00ZGFiLWI5NjctOTE3NzNkOWIyZjVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Propaganda piece by Keisuke Kinoshita, his second film made in 1943.

Despite the fact that this film was made to comply with a government directive about cinema highlighting the importance of Japan's wartime agricultural production, Kinoshita manages at times to tap into a broader view of Japan and her culture pitting wartime expediency against rural superstition.

Onagi, a sickly and self-obsessed man too frail to serve in the military gradually rises to a broader sense of self and to a growing awareness of the Yamato-damashii or Japanese Spirit. The symbolic bridge between the past and present is exemplified by two examples of the samurai sword, one, a famous blade forged by Magoroku in the 16th century, the other is one being made for an officer shortly leaving for the front who vows to wield it to great effect against the '...weakling Americans...'.

In the end modernisation trumps the old superstition in the form of a curse on the males of the Onagi line should they allow an old battle site owned by the family to be farmed. The cultivation of the hitherto hallowed field begins so as to provide more food for Japan's war effort.

Certainly not the greatest Japanese film but it does at times manage to escape the constraints imposed by the wartime nationalist state.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Landloper View Post
    No smutch on those that do enjoy Scorsese's work, Grant. It is just that his films don't seem to make any impact on my imagination. Mean Streets was the film I enjoyed most by him. He comes across as a very likeable man with whom one would be happy to get sozzled.
    Yeah i get that john. I loved goodfellas tbh and most of his films are enjoyable to me.. Loved leones fistful of dynamite and g.b. ugly too. Plus the music on many of his is super. Not seen kinoshita
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread