+ Reply to Thread
Page 217 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 1171672072152162172182192272673177171217 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,170 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

Tonight its "Murder My Sweet", which was released originally here as "Farewell My Lovely". Made in 1944 by Edward Dmytryk who later gave us the Caine Mutiny, The Carpetbaggers and Shalako, and starring Dick Powell and Claire Trevor. The film is based on Raymond Chandler's 1940 novel Farewell, My Lovely. A second film adaptation of the novel was made in 1975 and released under Chandler's title.

Dick Powell was previously known (1930s and early 1940s) for light comedies and musicals, so the casting of him as Chandler's hard-boiled private detective anti hero was a surprise to audiences. The studio executives changed the title from Farewell, My Lovely because they believed audiences would think the film was a musical. Powell's performance is much debated by fans of Chandler and film noir; some think it too light and comic; others consider it the best interpretation of Philip Marlowe on film.

Some great Chandler lines here like "I caught the blackjack right behind my ear. A black pool opened up at my feet. I dived in. It had no bottom. I felt pretty good - like an amputated leg", and "Okay Marlowe, I said to myself. You're a tough guy. You've been sapped twice, choked, beaten silly with a gun, shot in the arm until you're crazy as a couple of waltzing mice. Now let's see you do something really tough - like putting your pants on."

Powell, the light Musical star engineered himself into the role, and Director Dymtryk was less than happy about it, but I have to say Dickie Boy did real good.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Top class Movie that.

....now got on the first disc of Prof Aubrey Manning's Earth Story.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm john.

Bought the alien anthology blu ray box. The first movie had sound issues as in the sound went totally for 10 seconds or so. The second film did the same but more often. Totally ruined my enjoyment so much I put it off after an hour. Anyone got this 2010 release have any issues?
    John.

I'm Grant.

Have the anthology but not the bluray version..It might be a problem with the firmware on your machine; may be worth seeing if there is an update John.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Currently still watching the wonderful documentary "Earth Story". One of the BBC's best imo and always informative as often as Ive watched it I always get a little more out of re-watching it. Aubrey Manning is very good at helping you get to the crux.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm sorted.

Walking Dead 'on demand', it's grabbed my attention

I'm Grant.

Blackadder series 3............MACBETH!!!!
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Ended up watching all of season one, toddled off to bed at 5:30. Daren't put season two on tonight, got an early start tomorrow.

I'm Grant.

Just put the first 3 seasons on my watch list with Prime

Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Ended up watching all of season one, toddled off to bed at 5:30. Daren't put season two on tonight, got an early start tomorrow.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

synsei Guest

I'm working my way through the Sons Of Anarchy box set on Netflix, as an ex biker this series is right up my street. Season 3's finale is epic

+ Reply to Thread