+ Reply to Thread
Page 206 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 1061561962042052062072082162563067061206 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,060 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

I kinda thought he did Hughes pretty well.....

...been a little off colour today, so no dvd and write up, but have put on Ice Age 3 from my Hard drive.....stonkingly funny and well made film. I can and do watch it all the time.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Tonight, its anther film from my British war collection; Ice Cold in Ales (1958) Directed by J Lee Thompson, who also did some of the planet of the apes films and The Guns of Navarone.
    Starring John Mills, Sylvia Syms, Harry Andrews and Anthony Quayle. (So 2 future Sirs in the cast then). Cinematography is by Gilbert Taylor who's reume includes Dr Strangelove, The Omen and Star Wars to name a few. Filmed n location in Liyba and at Elstree, and recieved 3 nominations for BAFTA's, winning 1, for Anthony Quayle as Best British Actor.

The film had a number of Censorship problems from day 1. The love scene between Anson and Diana had to be re-shot after the British censor decided that Sylvia Syms had too many buttons undone on her blouse, revealing too much cleavage. Censor John Nicholls had already requested over 80 alterations to the script before shooting and, following protests by director J. Lee Thompson, he was eventually replaced as BBFC chief by John Trevelyan in May 1958. Other additional dialogue cuts included the removal of the phrase 'made a balls of it' and the overdubbing of 'bloody good old bitch'.

The final scenes have been used in two British advertising campaigns in the 80s. One was for Holsten Pils, interspersing comedian 'Griff Rhys Jones' into the original footage, a la Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982). Carlsberg themselves then later used the footage to promote their lager, colorizing it, earning the cast considerably more than they were paid for the film. According to 'Sylvia Syms', John Mills was the only lead who was able to "glug the lager down" as required in the final scene, although he eventually ended up plastered due to the amount of takes (lucky man; free drink and Syvia's charms on a platter).

A few military cock ups were made including when Quayle is driven away as a prisoner-of-war at the end of the film, several post-war Land Rovers can be seen parked in the background, and The Afrika Korps are shown variously equipped with American M3 half-tracks and an American self-propelled gun. also "Katy" the Austin K2 ambulance used in the film was specially converted to 4-wheel drive, apparently for greater mobility during desert filming (the transfer case, front differential and front propellor shaft are visible in some shots). Genuine K2s were not so fitted. Harry Andrews also claims "Katy weighs two tons!" whereas the actual weight of the K2 exceeded three tons.

Nevertheless, this is a fantastic film and should be on the telly more. The film was butchered for the US market cut down to not much more than an hour as a filler(typical Yanks; if they aint winning the war, then they're not interested)
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

A tour round Ferris Bueller's bedroom:

http://mattandtimfunny.blogspot.be/2...s-bedroom.html

Carver amps....mmmmm.....not bad for a kid still in high school.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Tonight, its anther film from my British war collection; Ice Cold in Ales (1958) Directed by J Lee Thompson, who also did some of the planet of the apes films and The Guns of Navarone.
    Starring John Mills, Sylvia Syms, Harry Andrews and Anthony Quayle. (So 2 future Sirs in the cast then). Cinematography is by Gilbert Taylor who's reume includes Dr Strangelove, The Omen and Star Wars to name a few. Filmed n location in Liyba and at Elstree, and recieved 3 nominations for BAFTA's, winning 1, for Anthony Quayle as Best British Actor.

The film had a number of Censorship problems from day 1. The love scene between Anson and Diana had to be re-shot after the British censor decided that Sylvia Syms had too many buttons undone on her blouse, revealing too much cleavage. Censor John Nicholls had already requested over 80 alterations to the script before shooting and, following protests by director J. Lee Thompson, he was eventually replaced as BBFC chief by John Trevelyan in May 1958. Other additional dialogue cuts included the removal of the phrase 'made a balls of it' and the overdubbing of 'bloody good old bitch'.

The final scenes have been used in two British advertising campaigns in the 80s. One was for Holsten Pils, interspersing comedian 'Griff Rhys Jones' into the original footage, a la Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982). Carlsberg themselves then later used the footage to promote their lager, colorizing it, earning the cast considerably more than they were paid for the film. According to 'Sylvia Syms', John Mills was the only lead who was able to "glug the lager down" as required in the final scene, although he eventually ended up plastered due to the amount of takes (lucky man; free drink and Syvia's charms on a platter).

A few military cock ups were made including when Quayle is driven away as a prisoner-of-war at the end of the film, several post-war Land Rovers can be seen parked in the background, and The Afrika Korps are shown variously equipped with American M3 half-tracks and an American self-propelled gun. also "Katy" the Austin K2 ambulance used in the film was specially converted to 4-wheel drive, apparently for greater mobility during desert filming (the transfer case, front differential and front propellor shaft are visible in some shots). Genuine K2s were not so fitted. Harry Andrews also claims "Katy weighs two tons!" whereas the actual weight of the K2 exceeded three tons.

Nevertheless, this is a fantastic film and should be on the telly more. The film was butchered for the US market cut down to not much more than an hour as a filler(typical Yanks; if they aint winning the war, then they're not interested)
    Great film

Hope you are feeling better now Grant

Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    A tour round Ferris Bueller's bedroom:

http://mattandtimfunny.blogspot.be/2...s-bedroom.html

Carver amps....mmmmm.....not bad for a kid still in high school.
    When I was a Saturday boy, just fresh into the audio trade I worked in a place that sold the solid state Carver gear, it was ok, but the big valve amps and speakers were where it was really at and the step up transformer they made - the MCt

Regards Neil
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 10-10-2014 at 23:06.

I'm Grant.

Cheers Neil; slightly better.....tonight I am going to watch 2 Mules for Sister Sara (1970) directed by Don Siegel and starring Shirley MacLaine and Clint Eastwood ( the 2nd of 5 Eastwood/ Siegel collaborations).
    Budd Boetticher wrote the story and originally did the screenplay but it was sold and redone by Albert Maltz. Cinematography is by the late great Gabriel Figueroa who also did Kelly's Hero's if memory serves.

It was not an especially happy shoot for MacLaine as she constantly fought with Siegel(whom she did not like and was unhappy about her appearance in the film).

The 2 mules were here original transport and Clint, who she referred to as Mr Mule

Going to be watching the Bluray release of this humorous film, of which the original writer (Boetticher) asked Siegel how he could make an awful film like that with Siegel replying that it was a great feeling to wake up in the morning and know there was a check in the mail, while Boetticher replied it was a better feeling to wake up in the morning and be able to look at yourself in the mirror. Filmed in anamorphic Panavision in Mexico, it s budget of $4 dollars was more than recouped in the US box office alone.
    A tyical Clint film for lovers of the genre.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The least you can do is take off your hat!!!! ............I haven't got time for that
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Now watching the channel 4 drama directed by Simon Moore and Alistair Reid from 1989; the wonderful TRAFFIK starring Bill Paterson, Jamal Shah, Lindsay Duncan and Fritz Müller-Scherz. One of the very best drama's ever imo.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Watching EXPLOSION 1812, a docudrama presented by Dan Snow. Its about the war between America and Britain of that date, and the giant explosion at the arsenal.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Shane is on film 4 at mo....having a music free Saturday.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread