+ Reply to Thread
Page 186 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 861361761841851861871881962362866861186 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Just watched '10 Rillington Place' on BBC4.

Phew! I knew it was a powerful film (I have seen it before), but this time it really struck home. If anyone has any doubts about the use of capital punishment, and of miscarriages of justice that would lead to this ultimate sanction, just watch this film!

It was THEfilm that changed my attitude to capital punishment. as much as there are plenty of people in need of it, one error makes us all murderers.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Perhaps a tad early but going to watch a Michael Curtiz classic that was badly remade in 1989...remakes are a bad idea generally and I have not actually seen the De Niro version.
    I'll be watching the 1955 one starring Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov and Aldo Ray as the three convicts on the lam, and big bad Basil Rathbone as Andre Trochard(a masterful performance). Everyone does their bit to make this film version of Albert Husson's play La cuisine des anges, a joy to watch. Bogey's comic timing is as good as anything he's done and Ustinov as usual take things in his stride easily. Aldo Ray did very well too as the dumb but kind hearted villian who falls in love but cannot have the lovely Gloria Talbott.Oh and I better not forget Adolphe, who gets his man in the end

Cinematography is by Loyal Griggs, won the Academy Award for Best Cinematography for that wonderful Western Shane(1953) starring Alan Ladd.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Tonight I am going to watch The man who wasn't there (2001), directed by the Coen Bros and starring one of my favourite actors, Billy Bob Thornton.

"Sooner or later everyone needs a haircut".

Billy Bob Thornton agreed to do the movie before even reading the script, such is trust. This and Sling Blade are two exceptional films
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm sorted.

Sky Arts 1 HD - Gary Moore: Blues for Jimi Hendrix to be followed by Rory Gallagher: Ghost Blues

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Trading Places

Nothing heavy - just a rather witty film about 'getting even'. This was the film that brought both Dan Aykroyd and Jamie Lee Curtis to prominence.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

A true modern classic that one Barry. Really needs to be watched at Christmas for full effect, same with Die Hard. Eddie Murphy at the height of his powers. I love the bit where he plays Harlem Globetrotters with the Ming vase:
    'Want me to break something else?'
    'NO!'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Excellent film that Trading Places....love the Santa bit with the smoked salmon.

.....I'm now on to Drums along the Mohawk(1939) directed by John Ford(his first in colour). very roughly about the battle of Oriskany in 1777, although gets most of the facts wrong. Still, its a great piece, and Fonda is in excellent form.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Tonight I am going to watch The man who wasn't there (2001)
    Yes, excellent. Got that in my collection too. Billy Bob Thornton just keeps on making great films (bit like William H Macy).

Eclectic is the word I think for your taste in movies Grant. Not that much different to mine though. Did you track down 'The Flim Flam Man'?

Here's another for you. You'll have a hell of a job finding a R2 copy: 'Jerry and Tom'. Wonderful US crime movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120867/
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yes, excellent. Got that in my collection too. Billy Bob Thornton just keeps on making great films (bit like William H Macy).

Eclectic is the word I think for your taste in movies Grant. Not that much different to mine though. Did you track down 'The Flim Flam Man'?

Here's another for you. You'll have a hell of a job finding a R2 copy: 'Jerry and Tom'. Wonderful US crime movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120867/

Very eclectic, but they need to be well done, a bit like my music tastes Geoff.....Flim Flam all I could find was foreign versions at a high price so far, and Jerry and Tom I have never seen to my knowlege and cannot find it in any region currently/On my list though
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Thought of another goodie. 'Rogue Male' with Peter O'Toole. Made in the seventies as a BBC film, it's excellent.

Just found this free download, not tried it though: http://free-classic-movies.com/movie.../#.VBTNpZAtC70
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread