+ Reply to Thread
Page 171 of 1488 FirstFirst ... 711211611691701711721731812212716711171 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 14871

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    In memory of Dickie Attenborough, tonight's offering will be his first screen role, Noel Coward's In Which We Serve(1942). Written by Noel and directed by David Lean(his first) and starring Coward himself, Celia Johnson(her screen debut), John Mills(reputedly, his role was written in by his friend Coward to give Mills a job), Bernard Miles, and in a fairly minor role Richard Attenborough(his first too). his part, although small was important to the story and he played it superbly. needless to say he went on to make over 70 films and collected 2 oscars.

Lean got the job on a recommendation of Mills, who thought him to be the best editor he knew. John Mills character in the film had a baby(well his wife did) that was played by his daughter Juliet.

When dive bombers fire on the survivors clinging to a life raft, the effect of the strafing fire hitting the water was achieved by blowing gusts of air into submerged condoms. These would then float to surface after the director had shouted cut.

Tragically, Chief electrician Jock Dymore was killed by an exposion while setting up an explosion effect. Coward, who was a close friend of churchill spared no one on the set and sacked William Hartnell on the first day for being late. He also built a full-size replica of a destroyer to represent HMS Torrin in the Denham Studios outside London.

During filming, stories would continually appear in the Daily Express, ridiculing the production. The paper's proprietor, Lord Beaverbrook, couldn't understand how an effete actor like Noel Coward could possibly portray a Mountbatten-type character. Coward got his own back by including a shot of one of the paper's more infamous headlines from 1939, proclaiming "No War This Year".

will be watching the digitally remastered Carlton version which is in decent nick. The film originally was dedicated to the Royal Navy, "whereon under the good providence of God, the wealth, safety and strength of the Kingdom chiefly depend." , but tonight it is dedicated to Dickie, and I hope he is watching.
    Must say Grant I am really enjoying reading your posts.

This is one of my favourite war time war films and one of the finest made, and along with Das Boat and the Cruel Sea one of the finest naval war films. Great choice Grant.

Regards Neil

I'm Grant.

Great film, and top performances from all tbh, with The Captains speech at the end a grand finale and stiff upper lip moment. Kathleen Harrison (from Mrs Thursday fame) stealing the show with her telegram scene...fabulous spot of acting and very realistic. Always liked her cockney style, even though she was from Lancashire I believe.

The film won a number of awards beating the likes of Casablanca,; in fact the only people that didn't like it was the Admiralty who nicknamed it In Which We Sink

Must say Grant I am really enjoying reading your posts.

This is one of my favourite war time war films and one of the finest made, and along with Das Boat and the Cruel Sea one of the finest naval war films. Great choice Grant.

Regards Neil

Thanks Neil; glad you enjoy it.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

The Eagle Has Landed. Classic men on a mission effort from 1976 and sort of a quasi-remake of Went The Day Well. The twist is the men on the mission are Germans attempting to kidnap Churchill. Lots of good actors at the height of their powers including a young Jenny Agutter...

I've seen this a few times before over the years. It's interesting how of the actors playing the Germans Michael Caine and Anthony Quayle opt for a 'BBC' English accent, Donald Pleasance (as Himmler) goes for North London bus conductor with occasional lapses into a comic book German accent, and Robert Duval plumps for the full comic book German accent.

Still a good film though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Great flm Martin...Everyone plays their roles well, and Sutherland as the Irish rebel with a slightly soft heart is milked for all its worth. Michael Caine was supposed to play this role but declined and chose the German Steiner.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I never knew that. He did audition for the part of Hook in 'Zulu' but they had pretty much already cast it but as he was leaving they asked him if he could do a 'posh' accent. He could and got the role of Bromhead which made him a major star.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

He did audition for the part of Hook in 'Zulu' but they had pretty much already cast it but as he was leaving they asked him if he could do a 'posh' accent. He could and got the role of Bromhead which made him a major star.
    Ah, Touche !! Just as well or the film would 've been the worse for it...and we wouldn't have had "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!!"

Tonight its comedy and mayhem as Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis take to skirts in "Some Like it Hot" directed by Billy Wilder and featuring a pregnant and troublesome Marilyn Monroe, George Raft playing "Spats Colombo" and the show being stolen by Joe E Brown as "Osgood Fielding III".

Jerry Lewis was originally offered Lemmon's roe but turned it down as he did not want to dress as a woman; Lemmon used to send him chocolates every year as a thank you!

Marilyn Monroe required 47 takes to get "It's me, Sugar" correct, instead saying either "Sugar, it's me" or "It's Sugar, me". After take 30, Billy Wilder had the line written on a blackboard. Another scene required Monroe to rummage through some drawers and say "Where's the bourbon?" After 40 takes of her saying "Where's the whiskey?", 'Where's the bottle?", or "Where's the bonbon?", Wilder pasted the correct line in one of the drawers. After Monroe became confused about which drawer contained the line, Wilder had it pasted in every drawer. Fifty-nine takes were required for this scene and when she finally does say it, she has her back to the camera, leading some to wonder if Wilder finally gave up and had it dubbed. Almost all the publicity pics of her were of body doubles with her head inserted later(sorry folks)....and supposedly when Orry-Kelly, who did Monroes gowns, was measuring all three stars for dresses, he half-jokingly told Marilyn Monroe, "Tony Curtis has a nicer butt than you," at which point Monroe pulled open her blouse and said, "Yeah, but he doesn't have tits like these!"

One of the few American movies ever given a "Condemned" rating by the Roman Catholic Legion of Decency.(Psycho and Sparticus are 2 others I can remember) and Kansas state banned it explaining that cross dressing was too much for Kansans(poor delicate souls)
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Tonight at the Movies is James Fenimore's Last of the Mohicans directed by Michael Mann (1992) and starring Daniel Day Lewis as Hawkeye, Russell Means as Chingachgook and Madeleine Stowe as Cora Munro. Mostly shot at George Vanderbilt's North Carolina estate, Lewis spent months living in the wilderness, living off the land to prepare for the role(as is his bent).
    Hawkeye's real name in the novel is Natty Bumppo, but was changed to Nathaniel Poe for the film for obvious reasons and the rifle he carries is an authentic Pennsylvania long rifle with beautifully carved "tiger" maple stocks.(fabulous craftmanship).

Some excellent music composed by Randy Edelman and Trevor Jones make this a delight to listen to as well....I think Clannad did the finale as well.

a nice extra, story was as many long nights were spent filming the siege scenes, and due to the expansive area involved, loudspeakers were installed around the battlefield and fort so directions could be easily given to the hundreds of cast and crew. One night after many long hours, Mann was heard to shout over the speakers, "What's that orange light? Turn out that orange light!" After a pause another voice came over the speakers stating, "That's the SUN, Michael."
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Really enjoyed that.....the bombardment of the stockade was superb, as are the fight scenes. Those gunstock battle clubs are/were awesome things.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Currently The Simpsons series 4. One of the best, and when Simpsons' meant something...even got the Yamaha soundbar giving me the full treatment.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Currently The Simpsons series 4. One of the best, and when Simpsons' meant something...even got the Yamaha soundbar giving me the full treatment.
    Ah, Golden Age Simpsons, not the ersatz rubbish they churn out now. I think my personal favourite, The Krusty Comeback Special, is in that series.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread