+ Reply to Thread
Page 169 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 691191591671681691701711792192696691169 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

NASA had some fantastic talent at their disposal Barry, that's for sure. They way they got those extra amps was nothing short of a brainwave. Gene Kranz summed it up perfectly. We've never lost an American in space, we're sure as hell not gonna lose one on my watch! Failure is not an option.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Tonights movie is St Martins Lane aka sidewalks of London (1938) Directed by Tim Wheelan and starring Charles Laughton, Vivien Leigh and Rex Harrison. and featuring Larry Adler as Consintine Dan and Tyrone Guthrie; later to become Sir, playing Gentry.

Charles Laughton is one of my favorite actors and is on top form here as Charles Staggers, a street viruoso and besotted by Liberty (Vivien Leigh), and who wouldn't be. She goes on to great things while he, who helped and guided her is left in the gutter (familiar??)
    Erich Pommer, who produced Metropolis and Jamaca Inn, Co produced after coming to England to flee Hitler.
    Loved the line from Leigh whem Laughton asks her to marry him.....Marry you, Joe? Have you gone out of your mind? I mean you had better look in the frying pan, hadn't you? and one from Laughton which still holds true....There ain't no answer. You're after justice and logic. There ain't no justice, and there ain't no logic. The world ain't made that way. Everything's luck, see. And good temper. And if you can take a joke..... The whole of life's a joke. shot on 35mm in B&W it is a rarely shown gem.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Viv Leigh shows up well and is an accomplished singer and especially dancer. She went pretty much straight on to Gone with the wind, 21 days and Waterloo Bridge. A rare talent but never outshined Charles Laughton who was by far the senior star of the film then.
    Now watching Ice age 1......one of my guilty secrets.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Ah, but Viv Leigh's a bit easier on the eyes than Charles Laughton!

(The bells...)
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Ah, but Viv Leigh's a bit easier on the eyes than Charles Laughton!

(The bells...)

She was a doll Gary....stunningly beautiful. talent + beauty are rare; sure she never need the casting couch.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

Apollo 13 - agreed excellent film.

Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Lucy http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2872732/...ef_=tt_trv_trv

Went and saw this yesterday and well I am not sure. Its in places very good, in other places dire and in others just completely bonkers. I think this is Luc Besson's attempt to make a 2001 typed film.

Its a weird mishmash of oriental crime/action film and sci fi, which involves a young lady getting involved in a drug smuggling ring, becoming a human drug smuggling mule in which an assault leaves her exposed to the drugs within her body - with dire consequences.

Where its plain crazy is the way no one - in particular the police - try to arrest her for murdering a number of innocent people in cold blood - never mind the bad guys. Where its different to lots of sci fi movies in the past is the way in which the scientists don't bring the army in to deal with Lucy, credible probably not, but refreshing.

The action scenes are good but clichéd, we have seen it before in many Asian action movies but Luc does try to do a number of newish things but sadly they end up looking like the Matrix meets 2001.

Acting is ok but again I think the film fails to show what a super evolved human would be like.

One very annoying aspect is the way the audience is treated every so often to Sheldon Cooper typed explanation of science, evolutionary theory and reproduction it was very patronising and not really required in my opinion and certainly not as clips of a documentary nature - plain weird.

Oh yes, very sudden ending which leaves one going is that it

Overall 5 out of 10

I'm Grant.

Ah Scarlett Johansson is rather charming, but have heard that its a bit of a mix Neil. Nice write up and saves me watching it as the boy will likely want it.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Ah Scarlett Johansson is rather charming
    If you like short girls with large behinds (bit like Penelope Cruz, but she comes with a moustache too). I think Scarlett may have lost a bit of weight lately though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Neil.

Scarlett Johansson is pleasant on the eye, sort of, not really my type but in regards to her acting frankly its workman like but not particularly inspired, someone much better was required but I am not sure who

Frankly I think this needed to be longer, which would have allowed the themes to be given more space to develop and the massive plot holes and crazy oversights in how the police would have reacted in a situation like this could have been addressed and explored more.

Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread