+ Reply to Thread
Page 164 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 641141541621631641651661742142646641164 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

Have not watched that for some time, and after watching it I must say I've been missing out. Forgot how good it was; timeography errors aside, its still some film. Shot mostly in Utah, where Redford lived coincidently, so he was able to help with location selection.
    The film was a loose biography of mountain man John Johnston and the book Crow Killer. Actually Redford was a pallbearer at Johnston's funeral..... might sound such, but after the film Johnston was disinterred from a Los Angeles cemetery and reburied in Wyoming .
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Tonight's movie is Sydney Pollack's 1972 western drama, Jeremiah Johnston starring Robert Redford.....probably his best role, even if it is little known these days. I cannot remember the last time it was on tv. Pity too as it is what all good films should be. Beautiful scenery and camera work along with fabulous script and acting to rival any Oscar winner. Alas it was not even nominated.

His name was Jeremiah Johnson, and they say he wanted to be a mountain man. The story goes that he was a man of proper wit and adventurous spirit, suited to the mountains. Nobody knows whereabouts he come from and don't seem to matter much. He was a young man and ghosty stories about the tall hills didn't scare him none. He was looking for a Hawken gun, .50 caliber or better. He settled for a .30, but damn, it was a genuine Hawken, and you couldn't go no better. Bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below.
    Excellent movie! I have it on DVD. The wife doesn't get it though...
    Bernie.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Canetoad View Post
    Excellent movie! I have it on DVD. The wife doesn't get it though...

No, mine doesn't either tbh, but give her Brookside or the likes
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Tonight's movie is the Walter Matthau classic comedy Hopscotch (1980). Directed by Ronald Neame, one of my favourite Photographers but also a very successful director. Matthau wangled the script be changed to a comedy and also got his son and daughter parts in the film. Glenda Jackson, Sam Waterston and Ned Beatty make up the other principles.
    Allan Cuthbertson(remember himplaying Major Daintry in Roger of the Raj; one of the ripping yarns. Yolanda King (Martin Luther's daughter) had her debut role as a waitress I think.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

This evening it is Paul Newman in Shadow Makers(1989) with Dwight Schultz as Oppenheimer. Not a bad film, although has some factual errors tbf. Best quote I like form this movie are from Gen Groves "It's all about ass, isn't it? Either you kick it... or you lick it". , and from Richard Schoenfield, "Hey Oppenheimer! Oppenheimer! You oughta stop playing God, 'cause you're no good at it, and the position's taken!"
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

‘I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds’
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

That film is still with me.. It leaves it's imprint on your soul. It is an interesting conundrum as to whether the dropping of those bombs were indeed necessary or whether it was just power play......or maybe a case of , well, we have em, lets see what they can do.
    probably a bit of all three tbh, although, my dad was in the region and fightingfor his existance so it may have saved his life, and thus mine.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrei.

Thought provoking Grant.
    I am trying to write a poem about two men who fight over the contents of a stream that separates their two properties. In the end the bigger one wins and beats the other so badly that he and his family all have broken bones. He tells his defeated neighbour to 'give up' and promise never to enter the river again. The defeated man refuses, so the winner tells his sons to get petrol and pour it on the defeated man's children. They do and set two of his children alight. The defeated man then surrenders.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Grant.

Very apt Andrei....I like it
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Very apt Andrei....I like it
    Thanks Grant, killing is a touchy subject for me ... can't go into it on a public forum. I would love to complete the poem because I feel I have "something to say". Rhyme no problem, but what rhythm can you possibly have for Hiroshima, Nagasaki and killing of children?
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

+ Reply to Thread