+ Reply to Thread
Page 159 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 591091491571581591601611692092596591159 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,590 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

on to a more modern classic now; The good, the bad and the ugly; remastered blueray........hoping the picture will be as good as the hype....A long but fabulous Leone masterpiece

Edit.. Very good remastering . perhaps too good at times for a small screen. Bet it'll look fantastic on a big screen...the audio has been done to and overall a worthwhile addition to my special edition DVD.
    Last edited by struth; 03-08-2014 at 10:42.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Currently watching the Blueray version of Cassablanca ......Looks to be an excellent print, and another classic movie. contrasts are fabulous.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    on to a more modern classic now; The good, the bad and the ugly; remastered blueray........hoping the picture will be as good as the hype....A long but fabulous Leone masterpiece

Edit.. Very good remastering . perhaps too good at times for a small screen. Bet it'll look fantastic on a big screen...the audio has been done to and overall a worthwhile addition to my special edition DVD.
    Love that Trilogy of films about the only westerns I do like.

Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Currently watching the Blueray version of Cassablanca ......Looks to be an excellent print, and another classic movie. contrasts are fabulous.
    "Could be the start of a beautiful friendship"
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    "Could be the start of a beautiful friendship"
    enoyed that.....well, as i have set myself the task of watching a dvd a night to revisit my collection( gonna take a long time me thinks) my next one has been interrupted by "the boy" giving me his latest to watch...that Russell Crowe biblical epic, NOAH .....nothing ventured as they say so will report my findings.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

WELL!!! an epic indeed. Struggled but made the end. Get a bit of loose woven material and give it a ragged edge and hey presto, a biblical outfit is created. now how can people who can make nuts, bolts and wonderful hardened steel axes, hammers, knives and farming equipment not manage to make a hem?
    wooden acting, and a pedetrian script did not help matters. sad to say this is supposedly a success at the box office Thank god for the likes of Cassablanca, and think we can blame Cain and eve for this masterpiece.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Tonights cinema classic is Howard Hawkes 1932 making of Scarface, starring Paul Muni.....they don't make 'em like this no more.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Screenwriter Ben Hecht was a former Chicago journalist familiar with the city's Prohibition-era gangsters, including Al Capone. During the filming Hecht returned to his Los Angeles hotel room one night to find two Capone torpedoes waiting for him. The gangsters demanded to know if the movie was about Capone. Hecht assured them it wasn't, saying that the character Tony Camonte was based on gangsters like "Big" Jim Colosimo and Charles Dion O'Bannion. "Then why is the movie called Scarface?" one of the hoods demanded. "Everyone will think it's about Capone!" "That's the reason," said Hecht. "If you call the movie Scarface , people will think it's about Capone and come to see it. It's part of the racket we call show business." The Capone hoods, who appreciated the value of a scam, left the hotel placated.

Al Capone reputedly liked it so much he procured his own copy of the film.

Edit: well I thoroughly enjoyed that, and as much as I like the 80's remake, I still think this is the best version.

Remember reading that George Raft(this was his first big film I think) saying that all the New York gangsters used to come to him for tips on how to behave etc....He was of course brought up with some of America's biggest gangsters.
    Last edited by struth; 06-08-2014 at 20:53.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Tonight's main feature is Mountains of the Moon starring Patrick Bergin and Iain Glen. This is the film version of Burton & Speke's search for the source of the Nile, beautify shot by Roger Deakins.

Edit; great watch, I have not seen it for years...very good story, and great acting.
    Last edited by struth; 07-08-2014 at 21:51.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Not that anyone is reading, but tonight's movie is the Universal Studios 100th Anniversary blueray remaster of Harvey(1950); originally a play by Mary Chase. Joshephine Hull played her role in both the play and film. She also won the film's only oscar.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread