+ Reply to Thread
Page 1435 of 1487 FirstFirst ... 4359351335138514251433143414351436143714451485 ... LastLast
Results 14,341 to 14,350 of 14864

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Martin.

'Sleepers' (1996)

Boys abused in a young offender's institution take revenge years later.

Finally got round to seeing this after nearly 30 years, what a disappointment it is. The film tries to follow 'Goodfellas' with its voice-over narration following the characters from childhood onwards but lacks the script and the pacing it needs to get anywhere close.

It's a good cast but they can't save it. The pace and the script are so stodgy you get to the point where you're wondering how much longer it's going to drag on for. (The answer is - a long time).

Supposed to be a true story but this has been called into question and whether it is true or not some aspects of the plot do lack credibility which doesn't help matters.

Won't go so far as to give it a 'Don't bother' but it does need some stamina to make it to the end.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i used to have that.. it was not how i remembered it and gave it away. the canned laughter was cronic. think i have all red dwarfs tho; a terrific show
    I think there was two versions, one with, and one without the canned laughter which ruined it imo. Ones they used to air back in the day were without.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I think there was two versions, one with, and one without the canned laughter which ruined it imo. Ones they used to air back in the day were without.
    BBC2 unilaterally removed the canned laughter when they first screened them, so technically there isn't two versions.

It plays a lot better without the canned laughter, if they could also remove Alan Alda it would improve it by another order of magnitude.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    BBC2 unilaterally removed the canned laughter when they first screened them, so technically there isn't two versions.

It plays a lot better without the canned laughter, if they could also remove Alan Alda it would improve it by another order of magnitude.
    Oh is that what it was? It must have been the BBC2 versions I was watching.

I'm not totally against canned laughter, I'm perfectly fine with some British TV shows using it, like Only Fools, Father Ted, Dads Army. Maybe it's just the Americans, who only get humour right once in a while anyway.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Steve.

What am I watching right now? Bloody Christmas adverts! Yes they've started already, saw the first one a couple of days ago. I'm sure in previous years they've got bonfire night out of the way first. Takes the piss, and means we're all sick of Christmas before it's even here

At least I've got the sound turned down.

I've already got my Christmas pressie (this laptop), so I'm just looking forward to Easter now. But I'll hold off buying any Easter eggs until Boxing Day.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Oh is that what it was? It must have been the BBC2 versions I was watching.

I'm not totally against canned laughter, I'm perfectly fine with some British TV shows using it, like Only Fools, Father Ted, Dads Army. Maybe it's just the Americans, who only get humour right once in a while anyway.
    BBC either filmed with live audience or showed live audience the scenes on monitors and recorded their reaction.

With 'Dad's Army' as the seasons go on you can hear more and more children's laughter on the soundtrack until the final series where it sounds like the entire audience are under ten.

All canned i,e fake laughter on American shows was done by one bloke, Charles 'Charley' Douglas - it's an interesting read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Douglass
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Cottage to Let, 1941..

This is the first appearance of George Cole, superbly confident as a cocky young evacuee. Set in Scotland during the war, its plot concerns Nazi spies trying to kidnap an inventor.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    BBC either filmed with live audience or showed live audience the scenes on monitors and recorded their reaction.

With 'Dad's Army' as the seasons go on you can hear more and more children's laughter on the soundtrack until the final series where it sounds like the entire audience are under ten.

All canned i,e fake laughter on American shows was done by one bloke, Charles 'Charley' Douglas - it's an interesting read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Douglass
    american canned always pretty much sounded likke the same bit of laughter everytime, and it never really fitted with the lines. i guess they accept any old shite over there
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

american canned always pretty much sounded likke the same bit of laughter everytime, and it never really fitted with the lines. i guess they accept any old shite over there
    It was, he used the same analogue samples and just varied them a bit to fit the situation, so it's exactly the same recorded laughter in MASH as it is on The Flintstones.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

i used to have that.. it was not how i remembered it and gave it away. the canned laughter was cronic. think i have all red dwarfs tho; a terrific show
    Yes I agree, 'canned laughter' is very annoying. I have the first six series of MASH on DVD, without any laughter track.

All the MASH episodes are constantly being shown on TV, so I think I have seen them all.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread