+ Reply to Thread
Page 1371 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 37187112711321136113691370137113721373138114211471 ... LastLast
Results 13,701 to 13,710 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    No disagreement there. He was excellent in 'Rain Man', but awful in the 'Mission Impossible' films and in 'Top Gun'.
    He wasn't much good in 'War of the Worlds' either.
    He's a good actor - if he's playing an arse.

I quite like his 'War Of The Worlds' - in fact prefer it to the old version which I've always thought was awful. But he does play an arse in it. That's his character arc in that film - starts of as a total arse and by the end is less of an arse.

'Rain Man' is a brilliant film but again he has the same character arc in that.

The 'Mission Impossible' films are crap, as was the TV series.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

'Top Gun' - arsehole at the start, mate dies, you think he will get better, he doesn't, ends with him still an arse but a vindicated one.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

I tend not to watch Tom Cruise movies. Not a conscious thing, I just don't!

I remember liking The Firm and Cocktail though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid, 1973..

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

another 70's western,,, The Ballad of Cable Hogue, 1970...

The chaotic filming wrapped 19 days over schedule and $3 million over budget, terminating Sam Peckinpahs tenure with Warner Bros./Seven Arts, and caused permanent damage to his career. The critical and box office hits Deliverance (1972) and Jeremiah Johnson (1972) were in development at the time, and Peckinpah was considered the first choice to direct them. His departure from Warner Brothers left him with a limited number of directing jobs. Peckinpah was forced to do a 180-degree turn from this film, and travelled to England to direct Straw Dogs (1971), one of his darkest and most psychologically disturbing films. This was the favorite film of the director. Often, when asked to speak about his work, he brought a print of this film to show, instead of one of his more famous works. According to David Weddle, author of "If They Move, Kill 'Em: The Life And Times Of Sam Peckinpah", in August 1969 Warner Brothers showed its distributors a 2˝ hour rough cut of the film without the knowledge of either Peckinpah or producer Phil Feldman. The director had urged the studio to hold off on their judgment (which was generally negative towards this rough cut) until he could cut another half hour from it. The studio allowed him to do so, but it was more out of apathy than respect for his talent. Despite positive audience reactions of seventy percent at its previews in January and February 1970, the film was dumped onto the market in the spring with hardly any promotion behind it. According to Stella Stevens, "Warner Brothers didn't release it, they flushed it."
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I tend not to watch Tom Cruise movies. Not a conscious thing, I just don't!

I remember liking The Firm and Cocktail though.
    I quite liked 'Risky Business', but I saw it a long time ago so could well change my mind if I were to watch it today.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Woman in the Window, 1944.. bluray.

Edward G. Robinson, Dan Duryea, and Joan Bennett would go on to play the three leads in Fritz Lang's next film, Scarlet Street (1945).

"Lux Radio Theater" broadcast a 60-minute radio adaptation of the movie on June 25, 1945, with Joan Bennett, Dan Duryea, and Edward G. Robinson reprising their film roles.

When the film was released, the staff at Variety magazine lauded the film and wrote, "Nunnally Johnson whips up a strong and decidedly suspenseful murder melodrama in Woman in the Window. The producer, who also prepared the screenplay (from the novel Once off Guard by J.H. Wallis), continually punches across the suspense for constant and maximum audience reaction. Added are especially fine timing in the direction by Fritz Lang and outstanding performances by Edward G. Robinson, Joan Bennett, Raymond Massey and Dan Duryea."
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Sign of Four, 1983.. bluray.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Ride the High Country, 1962.. top cast in this excellent western. Final film of Randolph Scott. He retired from acting once he saw the finished film, saying he wanted to quit while he was ahead and that he would never be able to better his work here.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread