+ Reply to Thread
Page 1255 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 25575511551205124512531254125512561257126513051355 ... LastLast
Results 12,541 to 12,550 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

some nice info on making of THE AFRICAN QUEEN..

https://www.yoursretro.co.uk/filmblo...-african-queen
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Ruthless People, 1986..

Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

When Mark Kermode met Richard E. Grant, Kermode told Grant that he was one of the few people who liked the film. Grant responded "It was a stinking pile of steaming hot donkey droppings and you are an idiot."

sums it up well ... but it is better than many ive seen. it crashed and burned in the US, only taking $17m, but did fairly well internationally and turned a profit overall at $95m. ..and the theme tune was sung by Dr John too..
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Little Big Man, 1970.... yes, again..lol

Chief Dan George was nominated for an Academy Award as Best Actor in a Supporting Role. He won many honors for his performance, including the National Society of Film Critics Award and the New York Film Critics Circle Award. He was also nominated for a Golden Globe as Best Supporting Actor.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Black farce now with... The Death Of Stalin, 2017.

The movie was banned in Russia on January 23, 2018, two days before it was due to be released. The Cultural Ministry stated, "The distribution certificate for the film The Death of Stalin has been withdrawn." One member of the Culture Ministry's advisory board was quoted as saying, "The film desecrates our historical symbols - the Soviet hymn, orders and medals, and Marshal Zhukov is portrayed as an idiot", and added that this movie's release in advance of the 75th Anniversary of the end of the Battle of Stalingrad (February 2nd), would be "an affront to Russia's World War II veterans."

In one scene, Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria (Simon Russell Beale) locks a young woman in a cell and later gives her a bunch of flowers upon release. Beria was a notorious sexual predator, sometimes driven around Moscow in search of victims to assault. After Beria had finished with his victims, they were routinely offered a bunch of flowers. To accept was to imply that whatever had happened was consensual. To refuse could lead to arrest, torture, and disappearance.

Vyacheslav Molotov's (Sir Michael Palin) wife Polina's (Diana Quick) arrest and release is more or less consistent with the real events. Polina was arrested in 1949 on bogus charges and sentenced to five years of hard labor and got her freedom only after the death of Iosif Stalin. Molotov was forced to divorce her by Stalin during that time. She was used as a tool by Lavrenti Beria as depicted in this movie to secure Molotov's loyalty. They got remarried and lived together until her death in 1970. Even though their relationship seems sincere and lovely, Molotov never blamed Stalin or criticized him for the purges that led to the hardships his wife faced.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Joe Versus the Volcano, 1990.

Joseph Banks was the name of Captain Cook's chief botanist on his expeditions to the South Pacific in the 18 century.

The only major issue that executive producer Steven Spielberg took with the production, was with the long unbroken take of Joe leaving Dr. Ellison's office building. The issue was that John Patrick Shanley did not shoot any coverage of the scene besides the one shot. Spielberg sent Shanley back to the location to film additional angles, which were promptly discarded in favor of the one-shot take.

Luggage Salesman: Have you thought much about luggage, Mr. Banks?
    Joe Banks: No.
    Luggage Salesman: It's the central preoccupation of my life.

Luggage Salesman: This is our premier steamer trunk, it's all handmade, only the finest materials. It's even watertight, tight as a drum. If I had the need, and the wherewithal, Mr. Banks, this would be my trunk of choice.
    Joe Banks: I'll take four of them.
    Luggage Salesman: May you live to be a thousand years old, sir.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Paint Your Wagon, 1969..

Rumson: She's picked up a bad case of the respectabilities. And in just a few days from now, that poor woman's going to be burnin' up in a fever of virtue. And then LOOK OUT.
    Pardner: Why?
    Rumson: Pardner, it's been my experience that there ain't nothin' more ruthless and treacherous than a genuine good woman.

Elizabeth: Did you know that the Fenty's had an apple farm back in Pennsylvania?
    Ben Rumson: Apple jack, huh?
    Mr. Fenty: No, sir, we did not make apple jack!
    Ben Rumson: Then, what did you grow the apples for?
    Mr. Fenty: Mr. Rumson, do you think that everything that comes out of the earth should be used to make liquor?
    Ben Rumson: Whenever possible, yes.

Pardner: Where I come from, Mr. Rumson, we're cautious of strangers who talk in an easy manner.
    Rumson: Oh. You've got me down as some kind of low scuff from New Orleans, hm? Sell you patent medicine with one hand, pinch your purse with the other?
    Pardner: Matter of fact, that's kind of what I was thinkin'.
    Rumson: As a matter of fact, Pardner, you're right. But I ain't yet sunk to horse stealin'. Oh, I've salted claims, yeah. And I've sold whiskey to Injuns. And once a man in Walla Walla come at me with a gun and I killed him. I can't think of one commandment I ain't shattered regular. I never did fancy my mother and father, let alone respect 'em or honor 'em. And I have coveted my neighbor's wife - whenever I had a neighbor and he had a wife, mm, mmm! And I gamble and I cheat at cards, but there's one thing I do not do. I ain't never gulled a pardner. The one sacred thing, even to low scuff like me, is a man's pardner.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Black farce now with... The Death Of Stalin, 2017.

The movie was banned in Russia on January 23, 2018, two days before it was due to be released. The Cultural Ministry stated, "The distribution certificate for the film The Death of Stalin has been withdrawn." One member of the Culture Ministry's advisory board was quoted as saying, "The film desecrates our historical symbols - the Soviet hymn, orders and medals, and Marshal Zhukov is portrayed as an idiot", and added that this movie's release in advance of the 75th Anniversary of the end of the Battle of Stalingrad (February 2nd), would be "an affront to Russia's World War II veterans."

In one scene, Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria (Simon Russell Beale) locks a young woman in a cell and later gives her a bunch of flowers upon release. Beria was a notorious sexual predator, sometimes driven around Moscow in search of victims to assault. After Beria had finished with his victims, they were routinely offered a bunch of flowers. To accept was to imply that whatever had happened was consensual. To refuse could lead to arrest, torture, and disappearance.

Vyacheslav Molotov's (Sir Michael Palin) wife Polina's (Diana Quick) arrest and release is more or less consistent with the real events. Polina was arrested in 1949 on bogus charges and sentenced to five years of hard labor and got her freedom only after the death of Iosif Stalin. Molotov was forced to divorce her by Stalin during that time. She was used as a tool by Lavrenti Beria as depicted in this movie to secure Molotov's loyalty. They got remarried and lived together until her death in 1970. Even though their relationship seems sincere and lovely, Molotov never blamed Stalin or criticized him for the purges that led to the hardships his wife faced.
    A film I've always wanted to see - but never got around to doing so.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    A film I've always wanted to see - but never got around to doing so.
    It's all the better as it's pretty much true
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread