+ Reply to Thread
Page 1225 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 22572511251175121512231224122512261227123512751325 ... LastLast
Results 12,241 to 12,250 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

Star Trek: First Contact, 1996..

This is actually streamed off my Apple library onto tv via my Amazon 4k box..

Directed by Jonathan Frakes.

Due to budgetary restrictions, the crew of
    Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987) was never quite satisfied with the Borg sets and costumes as used during the series. However, the significantly bigger budget for this film finally allowed them to design the Borg in a way that was much closer to what they had intended. As a result, the suits and sets were reused extensively on Star Trek: Voyager

Although his name is never given in this film, according to "Star Trek" canon, the Vulcan who salutes Zefram Cochrane is named Solkar. As mentioned in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984), Solkar is the father of Sarek, and subsequently the grandfather of Spock.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Switch, 1991.... Ellen Barkin stars..

The Devil (played by Bruce Payne) makes a total of six appearances in this movie. Aside from his two speaking roles (when Steve is sent back to earth, and when he visits Amanda at 3:00 in the morning), he also makes four sneak appearances: Once as a patron at the City Grille's bar when Amanda meets Walter for lunch, once as a piano player at Sheila's party, once as a piano player (in drag) at the lesbian club, and finally as a televangelist on TV when Margo hides the murder weapon in Amanda's couch. In a directors cut, he makes another speaking role in an elevator scene.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Paint Your Wagon, 1969...

Lee Marvin drank real alcohol throughout the production, even though director Joshua Logan fought him about it. In most movies, the actors and actresses drink tea for whiskey and water for vodka. Marvin would only work if he got real liquor. He
    was apparently drunk nearly every day of filming.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Switch, 1991.... Ellen Barkin stars..

The Devil (played by Bruce Payne) makes a total of six appearances in this movie. Aside from his two speaking roles (when Steve is sent back to earth, and when he visits Amanda at 3:00 in the morning), he also makes four sneak appearances: Once as a patron at the City Grille's bar when Amanda meets Walter for lunch, once as a piano player at Sheila's party, once as a piano player (in drag) at the lesbian club, and finally as a televangelist on TV when Margo hides the murder weapon in Amanda's couch. In a directors cut, he makes another speaking role in an elevator scene.
    Never heard of it let alone seen it but it looks diabolically bad.

Jimmy Smits made his name on 'L.A Law', he also played Krusty The Clown in the film about Krusty's battle with Percodan addiction.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Never heard of it let alone seen it but it looks diabolically bad.

Jimmy Smits made his name on 'L.A Law', he also played Krusty The Clown in the film about Krusty's battle with Percodan addiction.
    its a marmite film... either you connect with it or not i think.. interestingly it has 2 soundtracks. the one in film which is a pop mix or the original mancini one which ended up being dropped. they also dropped a largish lesbian scene as not being appropriate oddly..

i like it. it was an unofficial remake of Vincente Minnelli's Goodbye, Charlie (1964), which starred Tony Curtis and Debbie Reynolds.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Paint Your Wagon, 1969...

Lee Marvin drank real alcohol throughout the production, even though director Joshua Logan fought him about it. In most movies, the actors and actresses drink tea for whiskey and water for vodka. Marvin would only work if he got real liquor. He
    was apparently drunk nearly every day of filming.
    this is another marmite film.. i think you need to be of a certain age tho to be prepared to watch it. lol... imo its a superb comedy.

quotes..
    Horton: Well, since this afternoon. I know you don't approve, Pop, but believe me, until you've had a good cigar and a shot of whiskey, you're missing the second and third best things in life.

Mrs. Fenty: You should read the Bible, Mr. Rumson.
    Ben Rumson: I have read the Bible, Mrs. Fenty.
    Mrs. Fenty: Didn't that discourage you about drinking?
    Ben Rumson: No, but it sure killed my appetite for readin'!
    Last edited by struth; 08-08-2022 at 19:44.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Raging Bull, 1980... With this stunningly visceral portrait of self-destructive machismo, Martin Scorsese created one of the truly great and visionary works of modern cinema. Robert De Niro pours his blood, sweat, and brute physicality into the Oscar-winning role of Jake La Motta. Criterion 4k and bluray on reg a discs.. this is the bluray as i cant access the 4k player currently.

When the real Jake LaMotta saw the movie, he said it made him realize for the first time what a terrible person he had been. He asked the real Vicki LaMotta "Was I really like that?". Vicki replied "You were worse."

In 1978, Martin Scorsese was at an all-time low after his last movie New York, New York (1977) had bombed at the box office, followed by a near-overdose resulting from an addiction to cocaine. Robert De Niro visited him at the hospital, and told him that he had to clean himself up and make this movie about a boxer. De Niro had asked Scorsese many times before, but he had always refused (he didn't like sports movies anyway), but due to De Niro's persistence, he eventually gave in. Scorsese believed that his American career was over anyway, so he wanted to do one final film there, and then move to Europe to make smaller movies. Many (including Scorsese) claim that De Niro saved Scorsese's life by getting him back into work, and that this movie cemented Scorsese's reputation as one of the most important American filmmakers.

In preparation for his role, Robert De Niro went through extensive physical training, then entered in three genuine Brooklyn boxing matches and won two of them.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Breakdown (1997)

Kurt Russell drives from Boston to San Diego along with his wife, hoping to make a fresh start on the West Coast. When he nearly crashed into a hillbilly truck things start to go wrong.

The 90s was the decade of the throwaway thriller and this is an above-average example. Good pacing and you don't know what direction it's going to go in.

Not a classic, but well worth a watch.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm sorted.

Binge watching this whilst recovering from a quite uncomfortable hospital procedure yesterday, got to the middle of season 2 and it’s still holding my attention.

+ Reply to Thread