+ Reply to Thread
Page 1211 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 21171111111161120112091210121112121213122112611311 ... LastLast
Results 12,101 to 12,110 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

Man Who Knew Too Little, 1997... Manage to pick this up on bluray; its a reg A as its not available in uk afaik...

Great cast inc joanne whalley, who was super hot in her day...

When Wallace Ritchie (Bill Murray) uses the mallet to break down the door, he yells "Here's Johnny!" This is a nod to Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) breaking down the door with an axe and saying the same thing in The Shining (1980). The mallet is also the signature weapon used by Jack Torrance in Stephen King's novel The Shining, unlike the axe used in the Stanley Kubrick movie.

Filming took place in London's East End (Three Mills Studios), at a variety of London locations, and just outside London at the Elstree Film Studios.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, 1970..

Writer and director Billy Wilder said of this movie in the book "Conversations with Wilder" by Cameron Crowe, "when I came back (from Paris), it was an absolute disaster, the way it was cut. The whole prologue was cut, a half-sequence was cut. I had tears in my eyes as I looked at the thing. It was the most elegant picture I've ever shot."
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge, 2017... currently the last of the POTC films.

Grossed about $800mil from a $300 budget.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Memoirs of an Invisible Man, 1992... Director is John Carpenter...

John Carpenter has stated that this is his least favorite of all the films he's directed, and is the film he "hates thinking about the most". One reason was because of the constant studio interference that didn't allow Carpenter much creative freedom. Carpenter also called Chevy Chase "a director's worst nightmare" and "nearly impossible to direct", also saying the same about Daryl Hannah. According to Carpenter, Chase would complain non-stop about the film's tone and hated wearing the special effects, often prematurely removing his makeup and ruining hours of filming. At one point, Carpenter broke a clipboard in half over his knee in a fit of rage when Chase removed his makeup mid-take. Carpenter said that Chase and Hannah were "immune to any punishment from the studio, and they knew it, so they walked over me and everyone else on set and essentially told us we'd be replaced if we had any problem with them...it was like working with your boss's snooty children who would tattle on you if you didn't bend to their every will." Despite this, Carpenter ended up bonding and seeking comfort in Sam Neill over the troubling production and the two became close friends, with Neill agreeing to work with Carpenter again on In The Mouth Of Madness.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

never was keen on Daryl Hannah, didn't fancy her and having to sit through that terrible film where she's a mermaid pretty much did it for me.

Chevy Chase, on the other hand, will always be a legend for 'Fletch' (and, to a lesser extent, 'Fletch Lives').
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Rio Bravo, 1959...

Exteriors for the film were shot at Old Tucson Studios, just outside Tucson. Filming took place in the summer of 1958, and the movie's credits gave 1958 for the copyright; the film was released in March 1959.

Rio Bravo is generally regarded as one of Hawks' best, and is known for its long opening scene which contains no dialogue. The film received favorable reviews, and was successful, taking in over US$5.5 million.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    never was keen on Daryl Hannah, didn't fancy her and having to sit through that terrible film where she's a mermaid pretty much did it for me.

Chevy Chase, on the other hand, will always be a legend for 'Fletch' (and, to a lesser extent, 'Fletch Lives').
    not big on her either tbh. she was fairly pretty in her own way but i think she was probably nuts.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    not big on her either tbh. she was fairly pretty in her own way but i think she was probably nuts.
    yeah she's far from ugly just not my type. Nothing wrong with her acting. Thing is if you are doing a romantic film about a bloke chasing after a woman, it doesn't work for you if you don't at least fancy the bird he is chasing. You sit there thinking 'Mate, just look for someone else, she's no great shakes.'

I've always had the problem with 'Casablanca'. Bergman's very pretty but her character in the film is a very bland personality. You can't really imagine her appealing to someone like Rick. I mean a few weeks of fun in Paris, yes, but him falling hard for her? No chance.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    yeah she's far from ugly just not my type. Nothing wrong with her acting. Thing is if you are doing a romantic film about a bloke chasing after a woman, it doesn't work for you if you don't at least fancy the bird he is chasing. You sit there thinking 'Mate, just look for someone else, she's no great shakes.'

I've always had the problem with 'Casablanca'. Bergman's very pretty but her character in the film is a very bland personality. You can't really imagine her appealing to someone like Rick. I mean a few weeks of fun in Paris, yes, but him falling hard for her? No chance.
    bergman was a lot hotter than her hollywood image. she had affairs with everyone; bar bogey of course. the 2 didnt like each other
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

talking about this film recently so have a mind to watch it again..

Barry Lyndon, 1975... Director is Stanley Kubrick.

Production was moved from Ireland to England after writer, producer, and director Stanley Kubrick received word that his name was on an I.R.A. hit list for directing a movie featuring English soldiers in Ireland. Consequently, several scenes were dropped.

Contrary to legend, this movie did use artificial lighting in some scenes (for example, when Bryan (David Morley) learns he's getting a horse). However, it is true that no electronic lighting was used for the candle-lit scenes. A lens built by the Carl Zeiss Company for N.A.S.A., a 50mm Zeiss lens modified with the Kollmorgen adaptor used in still cameras, was used to shoot scenes lit only by candle. This lens had the largest aperture of any ever built for movie use (f/0.7).

A myth grew that the Academy Award winning costumes used in this movie were genuine antique clothes, but this is only partly correct. Some of the costumes were genuine antiques bought at auction by costume designer Milena Canonero, while others were custom-made specifically for this movie and were based on clothing of the period and costumes seen in period paintings.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread