+ Reply to Thread
Page 1171 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 17167110711121116111691170117111721173118112211271 ... LastLast
Results 11,701 to 11,710 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    so many things wrong with that film it would take the rest of my life to list them. Just one - it's set in London.
    its just a different interpretation on a novel. its ok and a good cast; i just dont try and compare it to a masterpiece. do that and you'll be ok biggest issue for me was mitch was 60 and looked it+, istead of 33 as he should have been. In fact he went in for plastic surgey after film(im guessing his fee paid for the surgery and the gin
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    its just a different interpretation on a novel. its ok and a good cast; i just dont try and compare it to a masterpiece. do that and you'll be ok biggest issue for me was mitch was 60 and looked it+, istead of 33 as he should have been. In fact he went in for plastic surgey after film(im guessing his fee paid for the surgery and the gin
    I remember the first time I watched it was because of the cast. I don't think I'd seen the Bogart version then (I would have been about 17 or 18 at the time), but I'd read the book several times.

I thought it was terrible. Really disappointing.

Maybe ten years ago I decided to give it a second chance, I didn't make it past the first twenty minutes.

Mitchum looking too old is the least of its problems.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I remember the first time I watched it was because of the cast. I don't think I'd seen the Bogart version then (I would have been about 17 or 18 at the time), but I'd read the book several times.

I thought it was terrible. Really disappointing.

Maybe ten years ago I decided to give it a second chance, I didn't make it past the first twenty minutes.

Mitchum looking too old is the least of its problems.
    he made another in london too. it was probably worse. ive got it on file too
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Tombstone, 1993. Class act and super watchable, even if its not as accurate historically as the other one of day called Wyatt Earp with Costner in it.

The line quoted by Doc at the end of the fight at the OK Corral is historically true, and was reported in the Tombstone papers reporting the fight. When confronted by one of the cowboys at point blank range, the cowboy reportedly said, "I got you now Doc, you son of a bitch!", to which Doc gleefully retorted, "You're a daisy if you do!"

Doc Holiday's wink to Billy Clanton just before the culmination of the O.K. Corral gun fight was completely improvised by Val Kilmer

Val Kilmer practiced for a long time on his quick-draw speed, and gave his character a Southern Aristocrat accent. The southern accent is an authentic touch, as Holliday was a cousin (several generations removed) of Margaret Mitchell, author of "Gone With the Wind".

Some years after the death of Doc Holliday, Wyatt was quoted in an interview as saying, "Doc was a dentist, not a lawman or an assassin, whom necessity had made a gambler; a gentleman whom disease had made a frontier vagabond; a philosopher whom life had made a caustic wit; a long lean ash-blond fellow nearly dead with consumption, and at the same time the most skillful gambler and the nerviest, speediest, deadliest man with a six-gun that I ever knew."

Robert Mitchum was signed on to star as Old Man Clanton. Prior to principal photography, he fell from his horse and injured his back, forcing him to quit the part. Instead, Mitchum provides the narration at the beginning and end of the film.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

It's a curious version. I'm not a big fan of anything directed by Michael Winner, and setting the action in London was never going to be successful.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It's a curious version. I'm not a big fan of anything directed by Michael Winner, and setting the action in London was never going to be successful.
    Don't think it was anything other than a couple of paychecks for Mitch. The 2 London noirs. He was old and not really got enough. He wasn't overly impressed with the stories etc but was picking up ,2 good checks.
    It was interesting he always had a woman added to his contract when filming. He liked a young one in between sheets after be filming and lots of gin.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Cat Ballou, 1965 and an Oscar winning peformance from Lee Marvin and of course the gorgeous Jane Fonda.

The film's horse trainer told Elliot Silverstein that the scene where a horse leans against a wall with its front legs crossed could not be shot because horses don't cross their legs, but that it might be possible if he had a couple of days. Silverstein invoked his rank as director and gave him an hour. The trainer plied the horse with sugar cubes while repeatedly pushing its leg into position, and they were able to get the shot.

Alas Fonda was just a bit straight laced for the rest od cast and dissliked Marvins overt jovility and drunken pranks.... WEll, she was young
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Jeremiah Johnson, 1972. Directed by Sidney Pollack.

Based upon a real-life trapper named John Johnston, nicknamed "Crow Killer" and "Liver Eater Johnston" for his penchant for cutting out and eating the livers of Crow Indians he had killed (several Crows had murdered his wife and he swore vengeance against the entire tribe).

Liver Eatin' Johnston's wife (who was pregnant at the time) was actually killed by a random raiding party of Crow, not as revenge for a violation of their burial grounds. She was killed in the spring while Johnston was off trapping and he didn't return to find her body until several months later. He identified the band that had killed her because he recognized a Tennessee rifle he had given her in the possession of a Crow warrior. Also, rather than isolated incidents as shown in the movie, Johnston often recruited other mountain men as well as Indians (particularly Flatheads) to help him with his vendetta. The part about the warriors sent to kill him and told not to return without his scalp was true.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Joe Versus the Volcano, 1990.

The only major issue that executive producer Steven Spielberg took with the production, was with the long unbroken take of Joe leaving Dr. Ellison's office building. The issue was that John Patrick Shanley did not shoot any coverage of the scene besides the one shot. Spielberg sent Shanley back to the location to film additional angles, which were promptly discarded in favor of the one-shot take.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Joe Versus the Volcano, 1990.
    Been after region 2 DVD of that. Not paying the daft prices I've seen.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread