+ Reply to Thread
Page 1154 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 15465410541104114411521153115411551156116412041254 ... LastLast
Results 11,531 to 11,540 of 14859

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

upload pic

'Who Dares Wins' (1982) aka 'The Final Option'

Lewis Collins is a captain in the SAS who resigns his commission after an elaborate set up so he can go undercover to infiltrate a terrorist cell.

One of those films that has its moments but could have been a whole lot better without a lot more effort. With Lewis Collins in the lead role it does look and feel a lot like an extended episode of 'The Professionals' and indeed director Ian Sharp also did a number of episodes of that TV series.

The two main problems are that the pacing is ragged, firstly you get the impression that they had to drag out boring scenes in order to get the run time up to feature film length. Example being the rock concert scene, do we really have to sit through the entirety of the crappy song the band is playing?

Secondly the terrorists are not at all threatening or scary, they look like some genteel middle-class blokes from down the pub and their cause and motivation simply isn't credible.

So after a promising start it all gets a bit bogged-down and crappy, even the mostly very good cast can't save it.

Really only worth a look for the final third where the embassy is taken over and the SAS have to go in since it is actually the real SAS on screen, not actors or stuntmen.

Collins passed selection for 21 SAS (a territorial regiment) but was declined for active service on the grounds that he was too famous.

Just watch the first fifteen minutes and the last fifteen minutes and you've pretty much covered everything worth seeing.
    yeah collins was always a bit of a get up and go type and was tough in real life.. think he was pally with the guys in the parras and they did a sponsored walk for kids.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    yeah collins was always a bit of a get up and go type and was tough in real life.. think he was pally with the guys in the parras and they did a sponsored walk for kids.
    Yes, he was actually in 10th Battalion of the Parachute Regiment which was a territorial unit. Brother of a friend of mine was also an actor, he knew him and said he could be a bit of a nutcase at times. Got passed over for James Bond which was a shame, he would have been pretty good I think.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

probably spot on... im no use at any lol
    Acting is weird really. Imagine going through life only being known for not being yourself.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Acting is weird really. Imagine going through life only being known for not being yourself.
    instead i went through life not being known as anything or one
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

instead i went through life not being known as anything or one
    That's the best way.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That's the best way.
    I agree.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Blackadder the Third, 1987.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Count of Monte Cristo, 2002 written by Alexandre Dumas(s)

The Count of Monte Cristo was one of Mark Twain's favorite books. When Twain toured Europe in 1867, he made a special stop to see the prison, Chateau D'if. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn contains a humorous spoof of Monte Cristo.
    The location of the Chateau D'if is actually an old castle in Malta, and is now used by the Maltese military as a communications and weather station.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Back to the Future III, 1990.

A horse dealership in 1885 is owned by the Statlers. In Back to the Future (1985) there is an ad on the radio for "Statler Toyota" in 1985. In 1955, "Statler Motors Studebaker" is visible near the town theater.

This is the only film in the trilogy where Marty and Doc Brown exchange catchphrases. Marty says "Great Scott!" and Doc Brown replies "Yeah, this is heavy" while talking about the tombstone photo.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Only seen that once, better than the second one IIRC. ZZ Top are in it too.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread