+ Reply to Thread
Page 1077 of 1487 FirstFirst ... 775779771027106710751076107710781079108711271177 ... LastLast
Results 10,761 to 10,770 of 14864

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    now, Dillinger, 1973. It stars Warren Oates as Dillinger, Ben Johnson as his pursuer
    Two fine actors there.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Gorky Park.(pron GawKee Paak) 1983. based on the novel Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith. The film was directed by Michael Apted. Dennis Potter won a 1984 Edgar Award for his screenplay for the film.
    William Hurt as Arkady Renko, Lee Marvin as Jack Osborne, Joanna Pacula as Irina Asanova, Rikki Fulton as Major Pribluda, Brian Dennehy as William Kirwill, Ian McDiarmid as Professor Andreev, Michael Elphick as Pasha and Ian Bannen as Prosecutor Iamskoy. James Horner wrote the score. Ralf D. Bode was cinematographer.

Janet Maslin called it "a taut, clever thriller throughout, with Mr. Apted's direction establishing its intensity immediately and sustaining it well. Ralf G. Bode's cinematography and James Horner's score go a long way toward setting a hauntingly bleak mood, and the supporting players, particularly Brian Dennehy and Ian Bannen, are excellent". Though she found it odd that Hurt would affect an English accent, she found his performance "rivetingly strange".

Roger Ebert found the depiction of Soviet society to be the most interesting aspect of the film, and he credited Apted's direction for never letting the procedural lag. Ebert also praised the casting, even if it relied on typecasting an actor like Marvin. "He uses actors who are able to bring fully realized characters to the screen, so we don't have to stand around waiting for introductions"
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Professionals, 1966. Stars Burt Lancaster, Lee Marvin, Robert Ryan, and Claudia Cardinale star, with Jack Palance, Ralph Bellamy, and Woody Strode in supporting roles.

The film received three nominations at the 1967 Academy Awards. Writer and director Richard Brooks, for Best Director and Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay) and cinematographer Conrad Hall, for Best Cinematography. It lost all three to A Man for All Seasons.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Gorky Park.(pron GawKee Paak) 1983. based on the novel Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith. The film was directed by Michael Apted. Dennis Potter won a 1984 Edgar Award for his screenplay for the film.
    William Hurt as Arkady Renko, Lee Marvin as Jack Osborne, Joanna Pacula as Irina Asanova, Rikki Fulton as Major Pribluda, Brian Dennehy as William Kirwill, Ian McDiarmid as Professor Andreev, Michael Elphick as Pasha and Ian Bannen as Prosecutor Iamskoy. James Horner wrote the score. Ralf D. Bode was cinematographer.

Janet Maslin called it "a taut, clever thriller throughout, with Mr. Apted's direction establishing its intensity immediately and sustaining it well. Ralf G. Bode's cinematography and James Horner's score go a long way toward setting a hauntingly bleak mood, and the supporting players, particularly Brian Dennehy and Ian Bannen, are excellent". Though she found it odd that Hurt would affect an English accent, she found his performance "rivetingly strange".

Roger Ebert found the depiction of Soviet society to be the most interesting aspect of the film, and he credited Apted's direction for never letting the procedural lag. Ebert also praised the casting, even if it relied on typecasting an actor like Marvin. "He uses actors who are able to bring fully realized characters to the screen, so we don't have to stand around waiting for introductions"
    An excellent film - I have it on DVD.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

The Producers, 1967. A satirical black comedy film written and directed by Mel Brooks in his directorial debut and starring Zero Mostel, Gene Wilder, Dick Shawn, and Kenneth Mars.

The Producers was Brooks's directorial debut.[11] For the film, he won an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay. In 1996, the film was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry and placed eleventh on the AFI's 100 Years...100 Laughs list.

This is the Bluray version.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Tales From The Crypt, 1970's... Arguably the most famous of Amicus' 1970's horror anthologies, 'Tales From The Crypt' sees five strangers (including a young Joan Collins) trapped in an underground tomb by a sinister, hooded crypt-keeper who forces them to relive the despicable things they have done.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

just finished... Around the World in 80 Days, 1956. starring David Niven, Cantinflas, Robert Newton and Shirley MacLaine.. plus loads of cameos.

According to Niven, when Todd asked him if he would appear as Fogg, Niven enthusiastically replied, 'I'd do it for nothing!' He later admitted to being grateful that Todd did not hold him to his claim. He also described the first meeting between Todd and Robert Newton (who suffered from drinking problems) when the latter was offered the role of the detective, Fix; Niven alleged that Newton was offered the part on condition that he did not drink any alcohol during the filming, and that his celebration following the completion of his role led to his untimely demise (he did not live to see the film released).
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Mouse on the Moon, 1963. sequel to The Mouse That Roared, and stars Margaret Rutherford, Ron Moody, Roddy McMillan and Bernard Cribbins, with June Ritchie and Terry-Thomas and David Kossoff. It was directed by Rihard Lester.

The film was made on sets left over from Cornel Wilde's film Sword of Lancelot. Sellers recommended Lester, whom he knew from his direction of The Running, Jumping and Standing Still Film, as director. Producer Walter Shenson and director Lester next made The Beatles film A Hard Day's Night.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Some cheer needed...Hotel Transylvania, 2012.

it did very well and started a franchise (sadly) this first film was excellent.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Python's Holy Grail from 1975. Stars Chapman, Cleese, Gilliam, Idle, Jones and Palin, and was directed by Gilliam and Jones.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail grossed more than any British film exhibited in the US in 1975. In the US, it was selected in 2011 as the second-best comedy of all time in the ABC special Best in Film: The Greatest Movies of Our Time behind Airplane!. In the UK, readers of Total Film magazine in 2000 ranked it the fifth-greatest comedy film of all time; a similar poll of Channel 4 viewers in 2006 placed it sixth.

the dreaded Knights Who Say "Ni!"

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread