+ Reply to Thread
Page 1001 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 5019019519919991000100110021003101110511101 ... LastLast
Results 10,001 to 10,010 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Nevada Smith, 1966.
    I liked that movie, although critics gave it a bit of a bashing as I recall.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I liked that movie, although critics gave it a bit of a bashing as I recall.
    yeah i like it too..

another good un now that got mixed reviews.. The Chase, 1966. Directed by Arthur Penn and stars Marlon Brando, Jane Fonda, and Robert Redford, and in support E.G. Marshall, Angie Dickinson, Janice Rule, Miriam Hopkins, Martha Hyer, Robert Duvall and James Fox.

This is the recent Bluray release.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    The Chase, 1966.
    Another good one. I really liked it when it was released. Very early role for Redford, his character was called 'Bubba Reeves' if I recall (no, I didn't just look it up ).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Another good one. I really liked it when it was released. Very early role for Redford, his character was called 'Bubba Reeves' if I recall (no, I didn't just look it up ).
    yeah, well very close.. bubber reeves it was although it sounded like bubba
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Legend of Tarzan, 2016. directed by David Yates and stars Alexander Skarsgard, Samuel L. Jackson, Margot Robbie, Djimon Hounsou, Jim Broadbent, and Christoph Waltz.

Making Africa seem authentic was especially important to the filmmakers, since the film was shot in England, except for six weeks in Gabon, filming background by helicopter without the cast. A working waterfall and a 100-foot-long collapsible pier were assembled at Warner Bros.’ Leavesden studios. Seven versions of the African jungle were constructed to show different scenery throughout the filming. Plants from Holland were mixed with trees sculpted by the art department. Kedleston Hall stood in for the Greystoke Manor, and a cedar tree on the grounds of Highclere Castle served as the setting for an early pivotal scene between Tarzan and Jane.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

decent film tarzan.. well done too.. a bit of red dwarf now and a dram before my rest time... gotta get my beauty sleep
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Quiet Man, 1952. Directed by John Ford. It stars John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Barry Fitzgerald, Ward Bond and Victor McLaglen.
    This is the Eureka Bluray.

Winton C. Hoch’s glorious Technicolour cinematography is perhaps as big a star as the stars themselves; The colours just pop off the screen. Ford won another Oscar for this. The Irish locations are superb too.
    O'Hara was almost forced to whisper a naughty into Wayne's ear and then run off, by John Ford whom she ended up thouroughly disliking, as she thought he hated her(which was the opposite of the truth). She once called him a a "bald-headed son of a bitch".. Wayne's look of shock was genuine(as Ford wanted) and he chased after... What she said went to their graves, as Ford, O'Hara and Wayne were the only people who knew what the words were. A mystery one can only guess at, but O'Hara was both reluctant and embarrassed to say it. (the mind boggles)
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Now, from way back in 1936, My Man Godfrey, directed by Gregory La Cava and starring William Powell and Carole Lombard, who had been previously wed.

La Cava, a former animator and freelancer for most of his film career, held studio executives in contempt, and was known to be a bit eccentric. When he and Powell hit a snag over a disagreement about how Godfrey should be portrayed, they settled things over a bottle of Scotch. The next morning, La Cava showed up for shooting with a headache, but Powell didn't appear. Instead, the actor sent a telegram stating: "WE MAY HAVE FOUND GODFREY LAST NIGHT BUT WE LOST POWELL. SEE YOU TOMORROW."

When tensions hit a high point on the set, Lombard had a habit of inserting four letter words into her dialogue, often to the great amusement of the cast. This made shooting somewhat difficult, but clips of her cursing in her dialogue and messing up her lines can still be seen in blooper reels.

This is the remastered Criterion Bluray. Fabulous for '36.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Stagecoach, 1939. Directed by John Ford and stars John Wayne, Clair Trevor, Andy Devine, Thomas Mitchell, Louise Platt and John Carradine.

Cast member Louise Platt, in a letter recounting the experience of the film's production, quoted Ford on saying of Wayne's future in film: "He'll be the biggest star ever because he is the perfect 'everyman'".
    The film has also been recognized as transcending the Western genre. Robert B. Pippin has observed that both the collection of characters and their journey "are archetypal rather than merely individual" and that the film is a "mythic representation of the American aspiration toward a form of politically meaningful equality."

It won 2 Oscars; Best Supporting Actor – Thomas Mitchell, and Best Musical Score - Richard Hageman, W. Franke Harling, John Leipold, Leo Shuken
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Dead Man's Folly, 1986. Directed by Clive Donner and starred Peter Ustinov, Jean Stapleton, Tim Pigott-Smith, Jonathan Cecil, Constance Cummings and Nicollette Sheridan.

This is a made for tv film of Agatha Christie's Belgian detective Hercule Poirot. One of Ustinov's better Poirots.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread