+ Reply to Thread
Page 966 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 466866916956964965966967968976101610661466 ... LastLast
Results 9,651 to 9,660 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

Destry Rides Again, 1939. directed by George Marshall and starring Marlene Dietrich and James Stewart.

Criterion honors this captivating classic with a brand-new 4K restoration, superior lossless audio, and a handful of high-quality supplements. Destry Rides Again stands as one of the all-time greats, and this top-notch Blu-ray release presents it in the finest possible light.

A masterpiece.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

One of my all-time favs now(and yet again) Little Big Man, 1970. Directed by Arthur Penn and stars Dustin Hoffman, the lovely Faye Dunaway, Martin Balsam, Cheif Dan George(who was nominated for an Oscar), Jeff Corey as Hickok and Richard Mulligan as Custer....

Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Anatomy of a Murder, 1959. directed by Otto Preminger and stars James Stewart, Lee Remick, Ben Gazzara, Eve Arden, George C. Scott, Arthur O'Connell, Kathryn Grant, Brooks West, Orson Bean, and Murray Hamilton.

A virtuoso James Stewart plays a small-town Michigan lawyer who takes on a difficult case: that of a young Army lieutenant (Ben Gazzara) accused of murdering the local tavern owner who he believes raped his wife (Lee Remick). This gripping, envelope-pushing courtroom potboiler, the most popular film from Hollywood provocateur Otto Preminger, was groundbreaking for the frankness of its discussion of sex—more than anything else, it is a striking depiction of the power of words. With its outstanding supporting cast—including a young George C. Scott as a fiery prosecuting attorney and legendary real-life attorney Joseph N. Welch as the judge—and influential jazz score by Duke Ellington, Anatomy of a Murder is a Hollywood landmark; it was nominated for seven Oscars, including best picture.

This is the Criterion Bluray from i think 2012.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Anatomy of a Murder, 1959. directed by Otto Preminger and stars James Stewart, Lee Remick, Ben Gazzara, Eve Arden, George C. Scott, Arthur O'Connell, Kathryn Grant, Brooks West, Orson Bean, and Murray Hamilton.
    Good cast. Don't remember the film though. Gazzara was an underrated actor.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Good cast. Don't remember the film though. Gazzara was an underrated actor.
    its a great film geoff.. worth finding.

now, Passage to Marseille, 1944. Michael Curtiz directs Humphrey Bogart, Michele Morgan and Claude Rains.

Passage to Marseille reunited much of the cast of Casablanca (1942), also directed by Curtiz, including Humphrey Bogart, Claude Rains, Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre and Helmut Dantine. Other actors connected to both productions included Michèle Morgan, who had been the original choice for the female lead for Casablanca; Victor Francen, Philip Dorn, Corinna Mura, and George Tobias.

Although exotic locales were called for, principal photography by cinematographer James Wong Howe actually took place at the Los Angeles County Arboretum and Botanic Garden in Arcadia, California, with additional location shooting in Victorville, California.

Before Bogart began work on the film, pre-production had been underway for six months, but as a result of resisting Jack Warner's decision to cast him in Conflict (released 1945, but shot in 1943), his starring role as Matrac was in jeopardy, with Jean Gabin being touted as a replacement. Even when the issue was decided, Bogart's portrayal was hampered by marital difficulties and a lack of commitment to the project.

The flying sequences show the Free French Air Force (French: Forces Aériennes Françaises Libres, FAFL) using Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress bombers. The production took liberties with the actual bombing campaigns carried out by the Free French units, that primarily employed medium bombers such as the Martin B-26 Marauder. The use of the ubiquitous B-17 was due to its being recognizable to American audiences.

A scene showing Bogart's character machine gunning the defenseless aircrew of the downed German bomber was cut by censors in foreign releases of the film.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The African Queen, 1951. Bogey again with Katharine Hepburn. CLASSIC STUFF directed by John Huston.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Magic Box, 1951. Directed by John Boulting. Stars Robert Donat, Peter Ustinov and Laurence Olivier. Had a very good cast and a vast ammount of cameos(both listed below)

This biographical drama gives an account of the life of William Friese-Greene, who first designed and patented one of the earliest working cinematic cameras. Told in flashback, the film follows Friese-Greene's obsessional pursuit of recording the "moving image", to the neglect of his financial situation, and the problems this causes in his two marriages.

The film was a commericial failure, but Donat, who didnt make a huge amount of films is excellent.

Cast

Robert Donat as William Friese-Greene
    Margaret Johnston as Edith Harrison
    Maria Schell as Helena Friese-Greene
    David Oake as Claude Friese-Greene
    Janette Scott as Ethel Friese-Greene
    John Howard Davies as Maurice Friese-Greene
    Robert Beatty as Lord Beaverbrook
    Richard Attenborough as Jack Carter
    Basil Sydney as William Fox Talbot
    Bernard Miles as Cousin Alfred
    Eric Portman as Arthur Collings
    Mary Ellis as Mrs Collings
    Muir Mathieson as Sir Arthur Sullivan
    Joyce Grenfell as Mrs Claire
    Dennis Price as Harold, the man who gathers Willie's possessions
    Margaret Rutherford as Lady Pond
    Mervyn Johns as Goitz
    Glynis Johns as May Jones
    Frederick Valk as Maurice Guttenberg
    Ronald Shiner as the Fairground Barker
    Peter Reynolds as Bridegroom

Cameos

Barry Jones as a doctor
    Bessie Love as wedding group member
    Cecil Parker at the Connaught Rooms
    Cecil Trouncer as John Rudge
    David Tomlinson as a Willie's lab assistant
    Emlyn Williams as a Bank Manager
    Ernest Thesiger as "man"
    Kay Walsh as a receptionist
    Laurence Olivier and Jack Hulbert as police officers
    Leo Genn as a doctor
    Marius Goring as an estate agent
    Michael Denison as a reporter
    Michael Hordern as the Official Receiver
    Miles Malleson as an orchestra conductor
    Peter Ustinov as an "industry man" in audience
    Sheila Sim as a nursemaid
    Sid James as an army sergeant in payroom
    Stanley Holloway as a broker's man come to collect goods in lieu of rent
    Thora Hird as a housekeeper
    William Hartnell as a Recruiting sergeant
    Googie Withers, A. E. Matthews, John McCallum, Patrick Holt, Robertson Hare, Richard Murdoch and Sybil Thorndike as sitters
    Henry Edwards as the Butler at Fox Talbot's
    Renee Asherson as Miss Tagg
    Martin Boddey as Sitter in Bath Studio
    Edward Chapman as Father in family group
    Maurice Colbourne as Bride's father in wedding group
    Roland Culver as 1st Company promoter
    Joan Dowling as Maggie
    Marjorie Fielding as Elderly Viscountess
    Robert Flemyng as Doctor in surgery
    Everley Gregg as Bridegroom's mother in wedding group
    Kathleen Harrison as Mother in family group
    Joan Hickson as Mrs Stukely
    Jack Hulbert as 1st Holborn Policeman
    Peter Jones as Industry Man who picks up Willie when he falls
    Ann Lancaster as Bridesmaid in Wedding Group
    Herbert Lomas as Warehouse manager
    John Longden as Speaker in Connaught rooms
    Garry Marsh as Second company promoter
    Michael Trubshawe as Sitter in Bath studio
    Amy Veness as Grandmother in wedding group
    Charles Victor as Industry man
    Harcourt Williams as Tom
    Frank Pettingell as Bridegroom's father in Wedding Group
    Norman Pierce as Speaker in Connaught rooms
    Michael Redgrave as Mr. Lege the instrument maker who creates the movie camera
    Oda Slobodskaya as Soloist at Bath concert
    John Stuart as 2nd Platform man at Connaught
    Sally Smith as Little girl
    Marianne Stone as Bride in wedding group
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Brief Encounter, 1946... BluRay(2009) 2k scan. Directed by David Lean and Stars Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson. Written by Noel Coward.

BFI (British Film Institute) and ITV-Granada's joint efforts to bring a deserving, fully-restored, print of David Lean's classic have resulted in a release that looks substantially stronger than what Criterion and Studio Canal offered us in the past. The 1080p transfer is notably smoother, lacking practically all of the specks and dots from previous DVD releases, and with a visibly stronger color-scheme (there are plenty of scenes where the blacks are richer and better saturated). Contrast is also more convincing on ITV's disc, though it seems to be quite inconsistent as well. Finally, the Blu-ray disc also eliminates almost completely the serious edge-enhancement issues that plagued the Criterion disc.

This ideed is the ITV Studios.BFI version.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, 2007.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Blackadder 2.. 1986... Rowan Atkinson etc...

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread