+ Reply to Thread
Page 1103 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 10360310031053109311011102110311041105111311531203 ... LastLast
Results 11,021 to 11,030 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Martin.

Not a bad film that. Just one daft bit where they are all stuck on the freeway going nowhere and the thing is about to hit, but everyone is still just sat in their cars beeping their horns.

That would never happen. Whoever wrote that has never witnessed peoples' instinct for self-preservation.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not a bad film that. Just one daft bit where they are all stuck on the freeway going nowhere and the thing is about to hit, but everyone is still just sat in their cars beeping their horns.

That would never happen. Whoever wrote that has never witnessed peoples' instinct for self-preservation.
    Yup, The biggest and meanest would have been over that green hill and far away before you could say Pontius Pilate.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

people would be running even if there was no real chance of getting to safety. It's what we do. You might get the odd one who would rationalise it and decide they're dead already but not thousands of them.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    people would be running even if there was no real chance of getting to safety. It's what we do. You might get the odd one who would rationalise it and decide they're dead already but not thousands of them.
    smart ones would have got a big boat and gone to sea til it hit
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    smart ones would have got a big boat and gone to sea til it hit
    buy a tent, go to the top of a high mountain and wait it out.

Although that wouldn't work if it impacted on land. I think in the film the one they smash to bits is due to hit Wisconsin or somewhere.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

The Big Sleep is a 1946 American film noir directed by Howard Hawks, the first film version of the 1939 novel of the same name by Raymond Chandler. The film stars Humphrey Bogart as private detective Philip Marlowe and Lauren Bacall as Vivian Rutledge.

Raymond Chandler claimed that Martha Vickers gave such an intense performance as Carmen Sternwood that she completely overshadowed Lauren Bacall, and that much of Vickers' performance ended up on the cutting room floor as a result.

Many of the cars in the film have a "B" sticker in the lower-right corner of their windshields. This is a reflection of the wartime rationing of gasoline. Gas was rationed primarily to save rubber, because Japan had occupied Indochina, Malaysia, and Indonesia. (There was a shortage of gas on the East Coast until a pipeline from Texas was constructed to replace the transport of crude oil by sea.) The B sticker was the second lowest category, entitling the holder to only 8 gallons of gas a week. Marlowe seems to use more than one week's allotment during a 72-hour period, which may be intended to reflect a black market in ration books. However, since Marlowe still has a deputy badge, at least in a deleted scene which existed in the 1945 version, he would be entitled to an X sticker (unlimited gas) as a peace officer. Perhaps the B sticker on the windshield was camouflage, since an X sticker would make the car extremely noteworthy. Marlowe also refers to "three red points," and speaks of a dead body as "cold meat" which refers to the red tokens used to acquire a family's allotment of meat during WWII.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

There was a great story re Martha Vickers. Hawks wanted her to simulate an orgasm in a scene with Bogart, and she innocently didnt have a clue what one was(think she was 20).
    So Macho Hawks called a break and got one of the male actors(I think it was Regis Toomey) to tell her(was too embarrassed himself). He reckoned it was one of his most embarrassing times lol.
    Anyway she did such a good job they had to cut it as it was never getting passed the censor,

Martha Vickers.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Steptoe and Son, 1972. Stars Wilfrid Brambell and Harry H. Corbett, and an offshoot of the tv series.

The 'drag act' performing the night Harold meets Zita is Patrick Fyffe - who a few short years later would become Dame Hilda Bracket, of the hugely popular musical comedy act 'Hinge and Bracket'.
    It was also the debut film appearance of comedian, Mike Reid.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

good to see again. now a great film and not as good as series but its still fun imo, and 10 times better than the ave crap you get now.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Morning Matinee is Sherlock Holmes Faces Death. 1943.

Dr. Watson's revolver is an 1878 Colt M1877 "Lightning", an improbable choice for Watson as a service revolver since it was never chambered with a British service cartridge.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread