+ Reply to Thread
Page 696 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 1965966466866946956966976987067467961196 ... LastLast
Results 6,951 to 6,960 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Landloper View Post
    Working my way through Eureka's new release on their Masters of Cinema label ~ Fuller at Fox: 5 Films 1951-1957 Blu-ray.

Attachment 26942

An opportunity to see a few of his films unknown to me, The House of Bamboo, Fixed Bayonets, and Hell and High Water.

Sam Fuller has never been a favourite director of mine, the best of his I've seen so far is Underworld USA from Sony's Samuel Fuller Film Collection Region 1 DVD.

Attachment 26943
    Eureka distribute some great films - especially Japanese cinema.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

National Treasure

Enjoyable hokum - not to be taken at all seriously. 6/10

Bangkok Dangerous

Nicholas Cage plays a convincing and successful 'hit man', who then ignores his own strict and self-imposed rules of his profession. 3/10

Pulp Fiction

Initially, I loathed this film as it seemed to me to make violence look 'chic' or 'cool'. However on repeated viewing (I'm usually prepared to give films a second chance), I realised the violence was 'cartoon' as were all of the characters and is one of the most darkly comic and/or comically dark films ever made. It's fast, funny, tragic, sharp, and surreal. Having revised my opinion, I'd rate it 8/10.

This is Spinal Tap

One of the best, if not THE best 'mocumentary' films ever made. 11/10

Dark Star

John Carpenter's pulp science fiction classic - a parody of Kubrick's '2001: A Space Odyessy'. Obviously made on a shoestring, but hugely enjoyable and funny nonetheless. 9/10

Enigma

Bit of a curate's egg - part fictionalised documentary, part thriller, and part love story with a sadly ludicrous "39 Steps" ending. I enjoyed it, but if you are looking for a history of the wartime breaking of the Enigma code - look elsewhere. That said, the period detail (apart from the railway footage) is well researched and correct, and the incidental music by John Barry is a plus. 6/10

Mr Turner

Best seen on the wide screen, this film is more about the singular, bluff and not very pleasant character of J. M. Turner, than it is about his paintings. Beautifully played by Timothy Spall and directed by the excellent Mike Leigh, this film is well worth watching. 8/10
    Last edited by Barry; 15-11-2019 at 20:49. Reason: spelling
    Barry

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Pulp Fiction

Initially, I loathed this film as it seemed to me to make violence look 'chic' or 'cool'. However on repeated viewing (I'm usually prepared to give films a second chance), I realised the violence was 'cartoon' as were all of the characters and is one of the most darkly comic and/or comically dark films ever made. It's fast, funny, tragic, sharp, and surreal. Having revised my opinion, I'd rate it 8/10.
    That's something easily missed with Tarantino until you get how he ticks. It's even more prevalent in Kill Bill - he likens a lot of his work as fairy stories and has said people regularly take them far too seriously. I had to check myself during the final 'gory' scenes of his last film, when I realised I was laughing and everyone else was going 'errrrr'. They missed the point entirely.

His dialogue in PF though, it's priceless and possibly his best work and without doubt the pinnacle of many of the actors careers. Christopher Walkens 'gold watch' speech is a masterpiece.

It's a classic.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quite a good selection of films there, Barry!

Right now, this:

Trailer:

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Right now....

Trailer:

Description:

A US truck driver, Paul, is attacked by Iraqis and finds himself six feet underground with no idea of this claustrophobic situation. With just a lighter and a cellphone, he races against time.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Wow - that was quite hard-hitting....

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

monty python and the holy grail. 1975

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    monty python and the holy grail. 1975

They will never make another like that.. Pure genius and a certain level of madness.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. 1993.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Stanley Kubrick's 1972 masterpiece.

A Clockwork Orange.
    A bit of the old ultraviolence
    Last edited by struth; 17-11-2019 at 21:07.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread