+ Reply to Thread
Page 1206 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 20670611061156119612041205120612071208121612561306 ... LastLast
Results 12,051 to 12,060 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

Soylent Green, 1973.. bluray.

The Soylent Green manufacturing facility is the Chevron oil refinery and power plant in El Segundo, California.

Leigh Taylor-Young (Shirl) and Stephen Young (Gilbert) were the only stars of the film who lived to see the real 2022.

Knowing that he was dying, Charlton Heston brought Edward G. Robinson a variety of wines and cheeses from all over the world each day Robinson was on set for his scenes, which were all shot first. Robinson died at age 79 on January 26, 1973, four months before the film's release in May 1973.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Didn't realise that was set in 2022.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

'One Soylent Green please, hold the butter.'
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Murder on the Orient Express, 2017. 4k bluray..

Veteran actress Jacqueline Bisset, who starred in Murder on the Orient Express (1974), told director Kenneth Branagh how excruciating it was to shoot the extended scene in which the murder was revealed. To avoid this feeling among the actors and actresses in his version, Branagh shot his side as Poirot first, cut wherever he could when shooting the actors and actresses up close, and did everything to make sure the whole cast spent as little time as possible on-set during the lengthy scene.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Didn't realise that was set in 2022.
    yes and i suppose its not happened...YET!.. but it still could
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Carry On Jack, 1964.. A young and pretty Juliet Mills gets here only Carry on role(she was 3 months pregnant but didnt tell anyone for fear of losing job)

The original "Up the Armada" title didn't find favor with the British Board of Film Censors. They declined to allow the title despite that there had actually been an earlier British comedy called Further Up the Creek (1958).

The film is a parody of Mutiny on the Bounty (1962), in which Percy Herbert (Mr. Angel) also appeared.

Some of the film's literal English language translations of its foreign language titles were "Carry On Venus" (Germany), "Beware of the Pirates" (Denmark), "The Mutineers of The Venus" (Belgium) and "Pull Yourself Together Skipper" (Denmark).(humourless bunch the Danes)
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Death on the Nile, 2022... 4k bluray. The war scenes at beginning give you an inkling of Poirot's 'little grey cells' and the reason for the moustache..

Tiffany & Co designed jewelry worn in the film, most prominently featured is Linnet's diamond necklace. The necklace features a replica of the Tiffany Yellow Diamond, one of the largest yellow diamonds ever discovered. First discovered in South Africa in 1877; as of 2022, it has only been worn publicly by four women. At the 1957 Tiffany Ball, it was worn by Mrs. E. Sheldon Whitehouse. It was worn by Audrey Hepburn for Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) publicity photos. Lady Gaga wore the diamond at the The Oscars (2019). Beyoncé wore the necklace in a campaign with Tiffany in 2021.

This version of Poirot is implied to have been born much later than his literary counterpart, who was in his fifties at the beginning of the Twentieth Century. In this movie, Poirot is shown in the prologue as a young soldier in 1914, making him at least thirty years younger than Book Poirot.

While sitting and admiring the Sphinx, Poirot can be seen sitting by a table on which are two eggs in cups. This is likely a reference to Kenneth Branagh's earlier Poirot film, Murder on the Orient Express (2017), in which Poirot is struggling to find two eggs of the exact same size for breakfast.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Some Like It Hot, 1959..

Some Like It Hot opened to critical and commercial success and is considered to be one of the greatest films of all time. The film received six Academy Award nominations, including Best Actor, Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay, winning for Best Costume Design. In 1989, the Library of Congress selected it as one of the first 25 films for preservation in the United States National Film Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    yes and i suppose its not happened...YET!.. but it still could
    I don't know how many films there are that predict the future, whether dystopian or not. I can't think of a single one that gets even a couple of things right, TV shows too. I mean look at 'Space: 1999' predicating that the Moon would be blown out of Earth's orbit on Friday 13th September 1999. Red faces all round when that didn't happen.

Thinking about it they all go too far one way or another. Either society is in a right old state, or it's way too far advanced. Base on the Moon by the late 1990s? Not even close. Hoverboards and everyone with a flying car? Still a pipe dream. On the plus side we are not all crammed in like sardines, eating recycled people.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Mrs. Miniver, 1942...After first-choice Norma Shearer rejected the title role (as she refused to play a mother), Greer Garson was cast. Although she didn't want the part either, she was contractually bound to take it and won the Academy Award for her performance.

In real life, shortly after shooting was completed, Greer Garson married Richard Ney, who plays her son, Vin, in the film.

Winston Churchill has been credited with saying Mrs. Miniver did more for the war effort than a flotilla of battle ships

The Vicar's final rousing speech was printed in magazines like "Time" and "Look". President Franklin D. Roosevelt ordered that it be broadcast on the Voice of America, and copies of it were dropped over Europe as propaganda. This speech has come to be known as The Wilcoxon Speech, in tribute to actor Henry Wilcoxon's stirring delivery of it.

The war drama Mrs. Miniver dominated the box office in 1942 and won six Oscars, but it’s remembered today chiefly for its final scene, in which a town vicar gives an inspiring speech in a bombed church, exhorting his flock to “free ourselves and those who come after us from the tyranny and terror that threaten to strike us down.”

The film was made before America had formally entered the war, and director William Wyler had rewritten this speech repeatedly on the night before shooting, in hopes that it would sway public opinion. “I’m a warmonger,” he said simply. “I was deeply concerned about Americans being isolationists. Mrs. Miniver obviously was a propaganda film.”

It succeeded beyond his hopes. Churchill claimed that the speech was “propaganda worth a hundred battleships,” and after a private screening at the White House, Franklin Roosevelt asked that it be translated into French, German, and Italian, broadcast throughout Europe on the Voice of America, and air-dropped in millions of leaflets into German-occupied territories.

Henry Wilcoxon, the actor who delivered the speech, must have had his own feelings about this — his only brother had been fatally injured at Dunkirk in 1940.

The Vicar:

We, in this quiet corner of England, have suffered the loss of friends very dear to us-- some close to this church: George West, choir boy; James Bellard, station master and bell ringer and a proud winner, only one hour before his death, of the Belding Cup for his beautiful Miniver rose; and our hearts go out in sympathy to the two families who share the cruel loss of a young girl who was married at this altar only two weeks ago.

The homes of many of us have been destroyed, and the lives of young and old have been taken. There is scarcely a household that hasn't been struck to the heart.

And why? Surely you must have asked yourself this question. Why in all conscience should these be the ones to suffer? Children, old people, a young girl at the height of her loveliness. Why these? Are these our soldiers? Are these our fighters? Why should they be sacrificed?

I shall tell you why.

Because this is not only a war of soldiers in uniform. It is a war of the people, of all the people, and it must be fought not only on the battlefield, but in the cities and in the villages, in the factories and on the farms, in the home, and in the heart of every man, woman, and child who loves freedom!

Well, we have buried our dead, but we shall not forget them. Instead they will inspire us with an unbreakable determination to free ourselves and those who come after us from the tyranny and terror that threaten to strike us down. This is the people's war! It is our war! We are the fighters! Fight it then! Fight it with all that is in us, and may God defend the right.
    Might have been writter for Ukraine too.. it was in fact written by William Wyler
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread