+ Reply to Thread
Page 1179 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 17967910791129116911771178117911801181118912291279 ... LastLast
Results 11,781 to 11,790 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

Witness for the Prosecution, 1957. Another Charles Laughton film.. An Agatha Christie story adapted by Billy Wilder and Harry Kurnitz. A good cast in this too with a surprise ending....

At previews, audience members received, and were asked to sign, cards that read, "I solemnly swear I will not reveal the ending of Witness for the Prosecution."

Charles Laughton, who could be moody and difficult, was apparently a dream to work with, throwing himself into the role with dedication and delight. Billy Wilder later recalled a day that was set aside just for shooting reaction shots of the jury and courtroom crowd (composed of extras hired only for the day). Normally, the assistant director would read the actors' lines, and the extras would react. However, Laughton, who was fascinated with the whole process of filmmaking, begged to help. So he came in on his day off and read all of the off-camera speeches for the jury members. He not only read his part but also the judge's, the prosecutor's, and even Marlene Dietrich's. According to biographer Maurice Zolotow in his book "Billy Wilder in Hollywood", "it was an exhibition of craftsmanship such as Wilder had never seen. He believes that Charles Laughton had the greatest technical range and power of any actor, man or woman, whom he has known."
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mickey-Spil...ps%2C77&sr=8-2

ok if you can play american dvds. good enough price. can get it on american amazon site too. there is also the new adventures as well
    Good find, seems it only got released last July. Not sure I want to pay forty squid though. I've got 'The New Adventures' already but that's nothing like as good.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Good find, seems it only got released last July. Not sure I want to pay forty squid though. I've got 'The New Adventures' already but that's nothing like as good.
    think at that price its a good buy. its a relative rarity over here. but can u play usa discs? one of the buys is prime too.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Rogue Male, 1976. This is the digital file i have but pre cleaned up so quality not as good as the bluray; still, it adds a nice vintage feel. A very good cast makes this superior to the other version imo.

Michael Byrne plays a Nazi interrogator in this film and would go on to play a very similar role, that of a vicious Nazi officer, in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989). Whereas Michael Sheard plays Adolf Hitler in both this and the aforementioned Indiana Jones film. Sheard also portrayed Hitler in The Tomorrow People: Hitler's Last Secret: Seeds of Destruction (1978), The Dirty Dozen: Next Mission (1985) and Secret History: Hitler of the Andes (2003).

This was the final film of Alastair Sim's career.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    think at that price its a good buy. its a relative rarity over here. but can u play usa discs? one of the buys is prime too.
    Yes got an Oppo that is multi-region.

Now I don't have any income I'm not supposed to be spending money I don't have to and I already spent £25 on CDs last week...
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Now I don't have any income I'm not supposed to be spending money I don't have to and I already spent £25 on CDs last week...
    mines an oppo too. ive got it set on uk dvd and usa bluray and leave it like that. ive a pana 4k that i use for uk bluray and 4k.

saves fiddling... yup you have to be careful with pennies and pounds. im not buying much now either. still trying to recover from xmas, the new car, the new scooter and hoist etc...list goes on. i did splash out on that unit for my films but it was needed.lol

ive still got a load of vinyl to sell, probably in a job lot. about 300 i guess
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

will hang onto my vinyl as long as possible - it's the only thing I own that actually goes up in value faster than inflation.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

will hang onto my vinyl as long as possible - it's the only thing I own that actually goes up in value faster than inflation.
    there is that
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

If you can put together and post a CD wants list I'll look out for them. Give me something to do while finding only discs I either already have or don't want.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    If you can put together and post a CD wants list I'll look out for them. Give me something to do while finding only discs I either already have or don't want.
    sure, i might have cds or films you might want .. ive lots of dvds not that dont ever get used as they are all on hdd. same mostly with cds too. being disabled its much easier than trying use discs all time. happy to send them on to a mate.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread