+ Reply to Thread
Page 629 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 1295295796196276286296306316396797291129 ... LastLast
Results 6,281 to 6,290 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Excellent write-up, Barry, and now makes me even more eager to see it in Liverpool on Saturday! However, even though it was a film, your review would've been better served posted in the jazz section of the music room...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Excellent write-up, Barry, and now makes me even more eager to see it in Liverpool on Saturday! However, even though it was a film, your review would've been better served posted in the jazz section of the music room...

Marco.
    I don't think 'The Queen of Soul' belongs in the jazz section!

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Went to see Amazing Grace today.

Since I heard about this posthumously released film of Aretha Franklin, I have been wanting to see it. A film, directed by Sidney Pollack, documenting two nights in 1972 when Aretha Franklin sang and recorded gospel songs at a Baptist church in Los Angeles. Along with a small ensemble of organ, guitars and drums, Aretha Franklin also performs at the piano, and is often accompanied by the Southern California Community Choir. The entire performance was recorded for Warner Brothers, who also commissioned the filming.

Having a limited public appeal, the film is not on general release and is only being shown in cinemas that tend to cater for art-house films. So finding that it was being shown in London in a multiplex cinema, and expecting to be unable to buy tickets if we just turned up, we booked in advance. Whether it was indeed due to limited appeal, or the fact that we watched the lunchtime viewing, we had the cinema to ourselves and were able to sit in the best seats - and needn't have booked at all!

The film was made using video cameras, which despite being professional equipment, only represented the best technology available at the time. And it shows - the visuals are not the sharpest, the lenses do not maintain autofocus whilst zooming, and the whole presentation is considerably inferior than it would have been had 35mm cine cameras been used.

But does any of that matter? No, because the sound recording is excellent; using high quality equipment such as Neumann and Shure microphones and Nagra IV-S reel-to-reel machines, amongst others. And obviously, it is the acoustic performance that is the raison d'etre of the film.

Aretha's performance is electrifying: singing the gospel songs she learnt as a teenager in church. Even if you have no religious convictions, you can't help but being moved by the sheer emotional intensity of her singing. The mixed congregation and audience obviously felt the same (as did Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones, who were in the audience for the second night).

The recording of the performance became one of Aretha Franklin's best selling records. Try to see it if you can.
    +1 Barry, nicely written.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Eurovision...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Eurovision...
    Oh dear! But suum cuique.
    Barry

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Oh dear! But suum cuique.
    It's like when you've been sat in a traffic jam for an hour, you get to the crash site and you know you shouldn't, but you look anyway.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Belarus - her thigh-high white boots - I feel vindicated now!
    Alex

Serbia - thigh-high leg and medical apparatus as jewellery - exonerated!
    Alex

I'm Martin.

The Brinks Job (1978)

Good little crime caper this, has Peter Falk and Paulie from Goodfellas in it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Australia - Kate Miller-heidke - a long time favourite of mine (check out her song Sarah) - but this is a bit weird!... And how the heck does Australia qualify for Eurovision...?
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread