+ Reply to Thread
Page 702 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 2026026526927007017027037047127528021202 ... LastLast
Results 7,011 to 7,020 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Harriet

Based on the life of Harriet Tubman. A female slave who escaped and walked to freedom in Pennsylvania, but felt compelled to return to rescue her family. The film starts before the American civil war and ends after the war. Harriet took part in the war, and at its end she had personally been instrumental in the rescue of 750 slaves.

At times a difficult watch, less so than 'Seven Years a Slave'; but I was close to tears at the end. Not a good look at a cinema, however I managed to compose myself before we left.

The US Treasury were going to release a $20 note with Harriet's image on the back - but Donald Trump has veto'd it!
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Night Train To Munich. 1940.directed by Carol Reed.

Sometimes classed as a remake of the lady Vanishes, it's probably more of a sequel.
    Very similar story and characterisations.
    Rex Harrison stars along with Margaret Lockwood
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Still in propaganda. A year later this film from Powell and Press burger, and stars Raymond Massey, Lawrence Olivier, Leslie Howard and Anton Walbrook.
    Won an Oscar too..

The 49th Parallel. 1941...released the year later in the US as The Invaders.

This was an attempt to sway us opinion and bring them into war. The main actors took half pay and donated rest to the Red Cross if memory serves.

It's kinda a bit like the ten little Indians.
    The nazi speach about inuits being sub human was deleted in the American version.

A very important film

Forgot Eric Portman. He plays the arch baddie
    Last edited by struth; 30-11-2019 at 20:40.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Still in the past here, and Jamaica Inn 1939, stars Robert Newton, Maureen O'Hara, Leslie Banks and Charles Laughton. Dircted by Alfred Hitchcock. Adapted from the book by Daphne du Maurier.

This is a period film, set in Cornwall in 1819. Although it did well at the box office both the critics and Hitchcock himself hated it. Certainly not a patch on the book, and much of the issues were due to Laughton being wrong for the part but as he was also producing it, he wrote himself into a role he wasnt supposed to get.
    Still its great and dramatic Cornwall scenery. O'hara did so well in Laughton's eyes he cast her as Esmaralda in the Hunchback; she became a huge star hence.
    Last edited by struth; 01-12-2019 at 15:41.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Made in 2013, The Wipers Times.
    This was a BBC drama TV film about the trenches newspaper at ypres Belgium during ww1.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Tonight's movie extravaganza is The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. 1966. Sergio Leone directs.

What's to say? One of the top 10 westerns ever. In the top 100 ever and Quentin Tarantino said it was the best directed film ever.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

No natter how many times I watch it, its still a stunning film. The last half hr is genius.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

For those of you who'd like some real drivel to watch. 'Classic' EastEnders is on Drama Channel.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

The Mask of Zorro.. 1998.. stars Antonio Banderas, Anthony Hopkins and Catherine Zeta-Jones, and directed by Martin Campbell ....

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

One of my favs tonight that gets overlooked.
    Billy Bob Thornton in The Man Who Wasn't There. 2001.

Pure Class
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread