+ Reply to Thread
Page 1098 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 985989981048108810961097109810991100110811481198 ... LastLast
Results 10,971 to 10,980 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Went The Day Well, 1942. British war film adapted from a story by Graham Greene and directed by Alberto Cavalcanti.

The poem from which the title is taken and which appears at the start of the film, is actually the second of four epitaphs written in 1918 by Greek scholar John Maxwell Edmonds. These were written for graves and memorials for those who died in battle. The full epitaph included a heading, "On Some who died early in the Day of Battle Went the day well? We died and never knew. But, well or ill, Freedom, we died for you." Another of Edmonds' epitaphs is "When you go home, tell them of us and say, For your tomorrows these gave their today".

It didn't go so well for this guy alas...

When the man running the pub in the village where the film was being shot discovered that he had used up his alcohol ration on the film crew, he was so distraught he committed suicide.
    Is that the War Department's 'moral boosting' propaganda film? Either way it's a good film.
    Barry

I'm sorted.

Got this lined up for later

I'm Grant.

Citizen Kane, 1941. Produced and directed by Orson Welles, WHO also co-wrote the screenplay with Herman J. Mankiewicz.

The picture was Welles' first feature film. Citizen Kane is considered by many critics and experts to be the greatest film ever made. For 50 consecutive years, it stood at number 1 in the British Film Institute's Sight & Sound decennial poll of critics, and it topped the American Film Institute's 100 Years ... 100 Movies list in 1998, as well as its 2007 update. The film was nominated for Academy Awards in nine categories and it won for Best Writing (Original Screenplay) by Mankiewicz and Welles. Citizen Kane is praised for Gregg Toland's cinematography, Robert Wise's editing, Bernard Herrmann's music, and its narrative structure, all of which have been considered innovative and precedent-setting.

The camera looks up at Charles Foster Kane and his best friend Jedediah Leland and down at weaker characters like Susan Alexander Kane. This was a technique that Orson Welles borrowed from John Ford who had used it two years previously on Stagecoach (1939). Welles privately watched Stagecoach (1939) about 40 times while making this film.

Despite all the publicity, the film was a box-office flop and was quickly consigned to the RKO vaults. At 1941's Academy Awards the film was booed every time one of its nine nominations was announced. It was only re-released to the public in the mid-'50s.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Citizen Kane, 1941. Produced and directed by Orson Welles
    'Rosebud'
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    'Rosebud'
    Beat me to it!

(but the "Greatest film ever made"? )
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Beat me to it!

(but the "Greatest film ever made"? )
    not my words but theirs.. but will say its a very well made film; you can usually find something likable in a main character but not in this; that in itself is a triumph. the 4k version is stunning, even tho im watching in quasi 4k
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Total Recall, 1990. This is the UHD version too. a decent film as an adventure si-fi made just around the computer special effects boom.

When Ronald Shusett and Dan O'Bannon first started working on the screenplay for this movie back in the 1970s, they realized that the movie would probably be too expensive and difficult to make (by the standards of special effects and budget at the time). They delayed working on the story and instead worked on an idea O'Bannon had about a space monster terrorizing a spaceship crew. This became Alien (1979).
    Arnold Schwarzenegger noticed that Michael Ironside was constantly on the phone between takes. When he broached the subject with Ironside, he was told that he was phoning his sister and that she was currently suffering from cancer. Arnold immediately brought Michael to his trailer and they had an hour-long, three-way conversation with Ironside's sister about what exercises she should do and what kinds of foods she should be eating. Ironside has never forgotten Schwarzenegger's kindness and neither has his sister.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

IMO, a rather good short story by Philip K.Dick that was trampled to death by Hollywood.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, 2017.

Salazar's face was full make-up that took Javier Bardem three hours to put on, but the hair was all CG. To achieve this, Bardem's hair was pulled back and a make-up artist added marking dots on his face, which tracked the motion of his head in post-production.

The father of Captain Jack Sparrow was played by a Rolling Stone (Keith Richards), and in this movie, the uncle of Captain Jack Sparrow was played by a Beatle (Sir Paul McCartney).
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Got this lined up for later

Funny old bit of hokum, you'd never think you could make a film about metal fatigue in an aircraft tail (you'd probably be right after watching this!). It's worth watching for the aircraft interior sets, pre-dated the TARDIS by 22 years

+ Reply to Thread