+ Reply to Thread
Page 1106 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 10660610061056109611041105110611071108111611561206 ... LastLast
Results 11,051 to 11,060 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

The Hound of the Baskervilles, 1939.

After being out of circulation for many years, partly because of the 1959 Hammer remake (The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959)) in Technicolor starring Peter Cushing, this film was restored and re-released to theaters in 1975 with great fanfare, to the point of having the national evening news do a story on it. The film was shown at its full 80-minute length, and newspaper and magazine articles commented on the fact that the line "Oh, Watson, the needle!", referring to Holmes' cocaine habit (and usually misquoted as "Quick, Watson, the needle!") was put back in after having been cut by the censors. As an added attraction, the studio added a rare sound film featurette which showed Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, author of the Sherlock Holmes books, talking about his creation.

At approximately 51 minutes into the film, Holmes plays the first three notes of what would become "Stairway to Heaven" on the Lire for Watson.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Seen both versions and read the story several times, always enjoyed it. That Stapleton was a bounder!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    The Hound of the Baskervilles, 1939.

At approximately 51 minutes into the film, Holmes plays the first three notes of what would become "Stairway to Heaven" on the Lire for Watson.
    Always an education And I won't be the only one who finds your movie trivia fascinating.

Last night I watched the first episode of "Treadstone", based around Robert Ludlum's "Bourne" books. Looks promising. But I seem to remember you saying you don't watch regular TV any more, and this on "5 Action", formerly Paramount channel.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Always an education And I won't be the only one who finds your movie trivia fascinating.

Last night I watched the first episode of "Treadstone", based around Robert Ludlum's "Bourne" books. Looks promising. But I seem to remember you saying you don't watch regular TV any more, and this on "5 Action", formerly Paramount channel.
    season 1 is available on amazon prime free, so ive marked it as to watch
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Dad's Army, 2016.

When other members of the platoon are quoting famous literature, and Mainwaring offers "who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men," he is actually quoting a famous radio program's opening lines. The Shadow was an adventure serial in the 1930s that began every program with that tag line.

The Home Guardsmen appear to be using the M1917 Enfield Rifle. Although a First World War-era American gun, the M1917 was commonly issued to the Home Guard (under the 'Lend Lease' agreement) as supplies of the British Army's main weapon, the SMLE Rifle, were required for front line troops
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    season 1 is available on amazon prime free, so ive marked it as to watch
    That's good, but you know that now I've built it up it'll turn out to be crap!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    That's good, but you know that now I've built it up it'll turn out to be crap!
    these things are usually pitifully slow to start with as they introduce the cast. so if you dislike it straight off, your likely to not get to the action.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

"They Don't Like It Up 'Em"
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

A good wartime drama now with Leslie Norman's Dunkirk, 1958. A dramatization of the British Expeditionary Force's 1940 retreat to the beaches of France and the extraordinary seaborne evacuation that saved it from utter destruction by Nazi Germany.

Strand Quay, on the west side of the town of Rye, was used for the Dunkirk perimeter. In one shot, the top of St. Mary's Parish Church may be spotted, and in another, we get a glimpse of the famous Mermaid Street in the background.
    The command center used by Vice Admiral Ramsey (Nicholas Hannen) was the actual bunker used during the operation. It's part of a large underground complex beneath Dover Castle. It's open to the public. The balcony in the cliffs is visible from the ferry terminal below.

The beach sequences were shot at Camber Sands on the south coast of England, while the town of Dunkirk was re-created in the nearby English town of Rye.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Heaven Can Wait, 1978. fantasy-comedy film co-directed by Warren Beatty and Buck Henry and stars Julie Christie, Warren Beatty, James Mason, Charles Grodin, Dyan Cannon, Buck Henry and Jack Warden.

The role of Joe Pendleton was originally a boxer in Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941). Warren Beatty originally wanted to have Muhammad Ali play the boxer. When Ali's boxing schedule prevented him from doing the movie, Beatty - who could not box but could play football - recast the lead role as a football player
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread