+ Reply to Thread
Page 616 of 618 FirstFirst ... 116516566606614615616617618 LastLast
Results 6,151 to 6,160 of 6176

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

  1. #6151
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 84,780
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I enjoyed it, but it's certainly not one to remain in my collection. It didn't cost me anything so I will loose nothing when I pass it on to the charity shop.

    Now for something much better:

    The Lives of Others



    Saw this at my cinema club a few years ago and was very impressed. It will remain in my collection.
    Looks interesting, Barry. I might download that and watch it later

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

    BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

  2. #6152
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 84,780
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Cat Balou. Jane Fonda as Cat. Great fun this
    You lurves yer oldies, dontcha?

    Can't really get down with that stuff, unless it's a western or war film.

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

    BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

  3. #6153
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 53,111
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    You lurves yer oldies, dontcha?

    Can't really get down with that stuff, unless it's a western or war film.

    Marco.
    tis a western, but a comic one. you may like it. Lee Marvin is superb in it.


    edit, you even get Stubby Kaye and Nat King Cole as strolling minstrels popping up all over the place
    Regards,
    Grant ....

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - XS VALVE DAC - AVANTREE OASIS PLUS + LEAF HD BLUETOOTHS - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR +NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI 3 DIGIONE/VOLUMIO - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN MAIN SPKRS/Q ACOUSTIC BT3 ACTIVES & CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

    **Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**

  4. #6154
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 84,780
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Possibly, as I like Lee Marvin. Don't get me wrong, all the actors in these old movies are top notch and mostly far better than today's bunch. It's just that, despite that [and the fact that the storylines are generally good], I find that the films themselves come across as rather 'dated', when viewed in a modern home-cinema system, especially if they're in B&W...

    I guess it's just one area where I prefer modern over vintage!

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

    BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

  5. #6155
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 39,351
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    tis a western, but a comic one. you may like it. Lee Marvin is superb in it.


    edit, you even get Stubby Kaye and Nat King Cole as strolling minstrels popping up all over the place
    Yeah. It's a really great film. And that's coming from somebody who hates musicals!! Lee Marvin was fantastic.
    "when common sense, logic and plausibility are excluded. All that remain are foolishness and lies"

  6. #6156
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 53,111
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Possibly, as I like Lee Marvin. Don't get me wrong, all the actors in these old movies are top notch and mostly far better than today's bunch. It's just that, despite that [and the fact that the storylines are generally good], I find that the films themselves come across as rather 'dated', when viewed in a modern home-cinema system, especially if they're in B&W...

    I guess it's just one area where I prefer modern over vintage!

    Marco.
    Its a good print.. Not that old but survived well. Ok its not going to blow you away, visually or soniclly but the quality shines through. Was a very sucessful film. Marvin won an Oscar, when they meant something and the film was nominated for quite a few too. 1965 I think, Jane Fonda was gorgeous too
    Regards,
    Grant ....

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - XS VALVE DAC - AVANTREE OASIS PLUS + LEAF HD BLUETOOTHS - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR +NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI 3 DIGIONE/VOLUMIO - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN MAIN SPKRS/Q ACOUSTIC BT3 ACTIVES & CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

    **Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**

  7. #6157
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 84,780
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Completely agree with all of that, especially female movie stars or that era looking very attractive. It was a time when men were men, and women were women - and embraced their femininity. Unlike today's scruffy, dishevelled 'she-males', walking the streets, posing as 'women'...

    It was also a time when film stars behaved like film stars, and unlike today, you had to earn the title of being a 'celebrity'!

    However, you're right, generally when I sit down to watch a film I like to have some visual and sonic 'fireworks', so a good action movie, which shows off the effects of the home-cinema system hits the spot. In that sense, I've always been somewhat of a superficial bastard!

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

    BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

  8. #6158
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Essex

    Posts: 19,528
    I'm openingabottleofwine.

    Default

    You want a sexy Jane Fonda? Then check out 'Barbarella'. A very French take on sci-fi. Maybe a bit dated now, but IMO Anita Pallenberg is even sexier.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

    Barry

  9. #6159
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 53,111
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You want a sexy Jane Fonda? Then check out 'Barbarella'. A very French take on sci-fi. Maybe a bit dated now, but IMO Anita Pallenberg is even sexier.
    She was in Cheri
    Regards,
    Grant ....

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - XS VALVE DAC - AVANTREE OASIS PLUS + LEAF HD BLUETOOTHS - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR +NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI 3 DIGIONE/VOLUMIO - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN MAIN SPKRS/Q ACOUSTIC BT3 ACTIVES & CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

    **Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**

  10. #6160
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Essex

    Posts: 19,528
    I'm openingabottleofwine.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Its a good print.. Not that old but survived well. Ok its not going to blow you away, visually or soniclly but the quality shines through. Was a very sucessful film. Marvin won an Oscar, when they meant something and the film was nominated for quite a few too. 1965 I think, Jane Fonda was gorgeous too

    You want a sexy Jane Fonda? Then check out Roger Vadim's film: 'Barbarella'. Typically stylish French take on sci-fi; maybe a bit dated now, but has some interesting concepts - and IMO, Anita Pallenberg as the Black Queen is even sexier.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbarella_(film)
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

    Barry

+ Reply to Thread



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •