+ Reply to Thread
Page 1037 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 37537937987102710351036103710381039104710871137 ... LastLast
Results 10,361 to 10,370 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

The Comancheros, 1961. Directed by Michael Curtiz. John Wayne, Stuart Whitman and Lee Marvin star.

Bosley Crowther called the film "so studiously wild and woolly it turns out to be good fun"; according to Crowther, "[t]here's not a moment of seriousness in it, not a detail that isn't performed with a surge of exaggeration, not a character that is credible."

as he says, GOOD FUN!!
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    The Comancheros, 1961. Directed by Michael Curtiz. John Wayne, Stuart Whitman and Lee Marvin star.
    I like that movie. Saw it again not long ago. John Wayne just played John Wayne as usual, but Whitman and Marvin were excellent.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I like that movie. Saw it again not long ago. John Wayne just played John Wayne as usual, but Whitman and Marvin were excellent.
    Yes it's a good film. Nothing too serious but keeps the interest even tho you've seen it 10 times
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Ballad of Cable Hogue, 1970. directed by Sam Peckinpah and starring Jason Robards, Stella Stevens and David Warner.

this is the bluray i picked up.. top film.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

A little known neo noir now. The Naked Kiss, 1964. Directed by Samuel Fuller and starring Constance Towers, Anthony Eisley, Michael Dante, and Virginia Grey.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Privates Progress, 1956. Directed and produced by John and Roy Boulting, and stars Ian Carmichael, Richard Attenborough, Dennis Price and Terry-Thomas.

The War Office refused all requests for cooperation, even after the ending of the film was changed to show the guilty being caught. The producers inserted a title card depicting three officers in the See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil stance with the words "the producers gratefully acknowledge the official cooperation of absolutely nobody".

It was the first in a series of successful satirical comedies made by the Boulting brothers for their production company Charter Films. Their 1959 comedy, I'm All Right Jack, featured many of the same actors and characters. A number of references are made to the events of Private's Progress
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

an even older oldie now. Cottage To Let, 1941. directed by Anthony Asquith starring Leslie Banks, Alastair Sim and John Mills. It also includes the first appearance of George Cole, superbly confident as a cocky young evacuee.

A very well made film considering it was during the toughest period of war.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Another oldie now with The Cat and the Canary, 1939. Directed by Elliott Nugent starring Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard.

The New York Times wrote that Elliott Nugent "has directed it smartly, taking full advantage of the standard chiller devices for frightening the susceptible of his audience but never losing sight of his main objective—comedy...the objective is carried briskly and to our complete satisfaction. Good show."

Variety wrote that the movie retained "the basic spooky atmosphere and chiller situations" of the original play and "will amply satisfy the mystery fans, and provide spine-chilling thrills for audiences generally."
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Asphalt Jungle, 1950. Is directed by John Huston and stars Sterling Hayden, Louis Calhern and Jean Hagen, and features James Whitmore, Sam Jaffe, and John McIntire. Marilyn Monroe also appears, in one of her earliest roles.

The covers changed with Monroe's improved status later on like this lol

On the review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 97% based on 35 reviews, with an average rating of 8.4/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "The Asphalt Jungle is an expertly told crime story with attention paid to the crime and characters in equal measure."

The Criterion Collection critic Peter Heath Becker admired Huston's technique:

Through his experience as a painter, [Huston] learned to frame an image, and throughout the film, he uses one shot where other directors might have needed three. He dispenses with editing flourishes and over-dramatic lighting and opts instead for sustained, well-composed shots. By balancing elements in the foreground and background of his images, Huston frames events and responses at once, without cutting between them.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Colditz, 1972 (tv series). All star cast for this major bbc production, when the beeb were masters of the drama series.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread