+ Reply to Thread
Page 1236 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 23673611361186122612341235123612371238124612861336 ... LastLast
Results 12,351 to 12,360 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

Murder on the Orient Express, 2017...

Michelle Pfeiffer sings "Never Forget" over the closing credits of this movie; the song was co-written by composer Patrick Doyle and director Sir Kenneth Branagh.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Bank Job, 2008..

Based on the true story about
    Princess Margaret's sexual affairs with Jamaican men in the 1970s, and of her pictures being caught and saved in a highly secured unknown bank.

Roger Donaldson said one of the most difficult days of filming was when he filmed the brothel scene. The scene called for the women to be walking around wearing only garters. However, Donaldson said that when he went to film the scene he discovered that most of the women shaved their genitals, which would have been anachronistic for 1971. So the actresses had to wear pubic wigs called "merkins." This caused a problem because the merkins were hard to secure in place and kept slipping, causing Donaldson much aggravation.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Grapes of Wrath, 1940..

John Steinbeck loved the movie and said that Henry Fonda as Tom Joad made him "believe my own words".

Prior to filming, producer Darryl F. Zanuck sent undercover investigators out to the migrant camps to see if John Steinbeck had been exaggerating about the squalor and unfair treatment meted out there. He was horrified to discover that, if anything, Steinbeck had actually downplayed what went on in the camps.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Murder, My Sweet, 1944..

For the scene in which Marlowe is drugged, Edward Dmytryk showed Dick Powell falling through a sea of faces. He borrowed a trick from "Saboteur (1942)" by having the camera pull back from the actor to make it seem like he was falling. He also had the camera accelerate as it pulled back, to intensify the horror.

In order to make Mike Mazurki more threatening(he was already 6'5"), Edward Dmytryk had the sets built with slanted ceilings to force the perspective. As Mazurki walked closer to the camera, he seemed almost to grow.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Notting Hill, 1999.... a guilty secret, but does have an excellent version of SHE.

During the birthday dinner scene, Anna Scott is asked how much she made on her last film, and her reply is $15 million. This is the amount Julia Roberts was paid for her role in this movie.

The long shot where William Thacker walks through Notting Hill during summer, fall, winter, and spring was actually four different shots, all filmed the same day. Computer technology morphed Hugh Grant seamlessly from one shot to the next.

The bit where Anna Scott tells off the diners in the restaurant was not in the script.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

great film that... i watch it every anniversary

The Pure Hell of St Trinian's, 1960..

Directed by Frank Launder and written by him and Sidney Gilliat.. covers and art work by the great Ronald Searle..
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quigley Down Under, 1990..

Sharps Rifles are now so inseparably related to this film that they are commonly nicknamed "Quigley guns." Sales for such weapons increased by over 1000% following the film's release, especially in the United States and Australia, and continue through 2013.
    Three Sharps rifles were built for the film: one for shooting, one as a club in the fight scenes, and a back-up weapon in case one was damaged. Tom Selleck requested to keep the 3 rifles built for the film. He had two of them reconditioned to remove scratches and straighten and tighten some of the moving parts. Years later, he signed and auctioned 2 of them as part of a fundraiser for the National Rifle Association, of which he is a national board member. Selleck donated the third rifle, with its fringed leather scabbard, and belt knife to the Brownell's Family Museum.

In the scene where Quigley demonstrates the rifle, he mentions that the bullet is paper patched, which might sound like some Hollywood mumbo jumbo. However, it's an actual technique common in the mid- to late-1800's to maximize accuracy/ precision. A thin layer of paper is placed around the bullet which is then used by the barrel rifling to spin the bullet fast enough to stabilize it during flight.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Vertigo, 1958..

A coda to the film was shot that showed Midge at her apartment, listening to a radio report (voiced by San Francisco TV reporter Dave McElhatton) describing the pursuit of Gavin Elster across Europe. Midge switches the radio off when Scottie enters the room. They then share a drink and look out of the window in silence. Contrary to reports that this scene was filmed to meet foreign censorship needs, this tag ending had originally been demanded by Geoffrey Shurlock of the U.S. Production Code Administration, who had noted: "It will, of course, be most important that the indication that Elster will be brought back for trial is sufficiently emphasized."

Hitchcock finally succeeded in fending off most of Shurlock's demands (which included toning down erotic allusions) and had the alternative ending dropped. The footage was discovered in Los Angeles in May 1993, and was added as an alternative ending on the LaserDisc release, and later on DVD and Blu-ray releases.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Vertigo.
    Thought that was the stuff that makes copper go green?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread