+ Reply to Thread
Page 643 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 1435435936336416426436446456536937431143 ... LastLast
Results 6,421 to 6,430 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Martin.

I don't get this thing about not watching black and white films. All of Bogart's best films are in black and white. And Cagney's. 'The Hill' is in B&W even though it was made well into the colour era. Then you've got 'Raging Bull', 'I Was a Fugitive From A Chain Gang', 'Scarface', 'Seven Samurai', 'Throne Of Blood'...it's a long list.

You're going to deny yourself the pleasure of those films which are all way better than the tat made today just because of the lack of colour? That's daft. After a bit you forget that there's no colour anyway.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yeah I know where you're coming from, and you're right. Don't get me wrong, I'd still watch those old films (and indeed have done in the past) and enjoy them, if I was forced to but these days that's not what really floats my boat.

It's a bit like playing a great piece of music, which has been recorded badly, through a revealing hi-fi system... Yes, the music's still great, but the overall listening experience is rather disappointing. That's how I feel with watching old movies on a modern home-cinema system.

Do you see what I mean?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

I do but I still don't get it. Would I not listen to Sam and Dave just because they don't have a slick modern production? I don't think so! I just accept that aspect of it for what it is.

You'll get bored with the multi channel sound and all that business eventually, everyone does.
    Current Lash Up:

Who knows, but I suspect not, as there's more than enough suitable material to keep me occupied for the foreseeable future, especially as I don't watch films that often.

In any case, I didn't say that I wouldn't ever watch classic old films and not enjoy them, just that they aren't my 'go to' genre... Perhaps to appreciate them properly, what I need to do is set up a new system with an old CRT television and VCR, find the films in question on VHS tape, and enjoy them all in glorious mono!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

I still have all the equipment and the videotapes to do that! Sony Trinitron monitor too, none of yer rubbish.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol, I like the sound of that, too! I need plenty of ACTION in a film, to hold my interest [shootings, crazy car chases, BIG explosions, special effects and shit], and lots of stuff happening, preferably some downright nastiness and violence...
    Best I don't recommend 'Waiting For Godot' then.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I still have all the equipment and the videotapes to do that! Sony Trinitron monitor too, none of yer rubbish.
    Now *that* would be cool, your gaff being 70s retro and all that... Just DO it, dude

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Best I don't recommend 'Waiting For Godot' then.
    Never heard of it.

Is that some evil shit, then? Or do you mean a pretentious bore fest that purports to be 'arty' or intellectual, for film snobs with no lives?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Never heard of it.

Is that some evil shit, then? Or do you mean a pretentious bore fest that purports to be 'arty' or intellectual, for movie snobs with no lives?

Marco.
    The latter I think.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Default Nerds Unite...

Tristan has watched it many times with his friends who read The Guardian, and marvels at its high-brow complexity...

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread