+ Reply to Thread
Page 1272 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 27277211721222126212701271127212731274128213221372 ... LastLast
Results 12,711 to 12,720 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Just watched the full version of Lawrence of Arabia

The 37 minutes cut from the cinema release, were discovered and have now been reinstated; making the run time 217 minutes (3 hours 37 mins) long.

I'm a great fan of David Lean's cinema epics, but this one is a hard slog.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_of_Arabia_(film)
    great film.. not sure if mine has the extra time in it or not tho

edit.. just checked and mine is 3h 47m so looks like it has
    Last edited by struth; 28-11-2022 at 12:04.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Lone Ranger, 2013..

In an interview,
    Johnny Depp thanked his stunt horse, Scout, for saving his life after a violent fall during filming. After Scout dragged Depp 25 feet, Scout jumped over him to avoid stepping on him. A clip of the fall shows the horse clearly jumping over Depp, and detaching him from the saddle. Depp suffered only minor bruises and scrapes, but says it could have been a lot worse if the horse had stepped on him.

In an interview with Vulture Magazine, Jerry Bruckheimer said, "I think it is going to be looked back on as a brave, wonderful film. I've been though this a lot with journalists. We made a movie years ago called Flashdance (1983), and I remember one journalist just giving us the worst review ever. Then, about five years later, we get this kind of love letter - that he totally "missed" it. That he loved the movie, and it's kind of the same with you that, any time it's on, you have to watch it. It happens, you know."
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Red, 2010...

Irresistible fun
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

3 Godfathers, 1948...

This is a remake of the silent film
    The Three Godfathers (1916), which starred Ford's long-time friend Harry Carey. When Carey died in 1947, Ford decided to remake the story in Technicolor and dedicate the film to his memory. Carey's son, Harry Carey Jr., plays one of the three, "The Abilene Kid". The film Three Godfathers (1936) is based on the same source, so this film is, in some sense, a remake of that film as well. John Ford had previously directed a silent film version of the same story, called Marked Men (1919). No prints of this films are known to be in existence.

For the scene where Deputy Curly (Hank Worden) has trouble pulling a mule aboard a train, director John Ford rigged the reins to pull backwards whenever Worden pulled forward.

Pedro Armendariz, who plays the character of Pedro, commits suicide by gunshot in this film. 15 years later, Armendariz would take his own life by gunshot, after being diagnosed with terminal cancer.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

classic xmas time redemption film that... shame it wasn't actually released at xmas time..needless to say the duke comes out of it better than he went in ....

thats it for tonight folks lol
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Red, 2010...

Irresistible fun
    It's not a bad film - but neither is it a great film. I think "irresistible fun" sums it up nicely (as well as applies to the sequel).
    Last edited by Barry; 29-11-2022 at 18:09. Reason: spelling
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Jeremiah Johnson, 1972.. super film this.

Based upon a real-life trapper named John Johnston, nicknamed "Crow Killer" and "Liver Eater Johnston" for his penchant for cutting out and eating the livers of Crow Indians he had killed (several Crows had murdered his wife and he swore vengeance against the entire tribe).

According to the book "Crow Killer," the Crazy Woman was a real person who had settled in the Wolf Tail Valley. After her children were killed and her husband taken captive, she remained in her cabin. Liver Eatin' Johnson, Del Gue and Anton Sepulveda were among the mountain men who "avenged" her. One popular story was that the mountain man known as "Hatchet Jack" was actually her husband who had gone insane after being scalped and tortured by the Blackfoot Indians when they took him away. It was known that Hatchet Jack had been scalped at some point in his life and that he was mentally unbalanced. Johnson refers to this when he tells the Crazy Woman that he cannot find any sign of her husband, but that he might return if he escaped from the Indians.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Three Days of the Condor, 1975...

The Bell System switching station is a noisy place. As this was in the mid-1970s before the phone company could ramp up to digital, all of the switching was done mechanically using tiny servos to physically move electronic contacts. One can see the earliest stages of this transition as both touch-tone and dial phones (the stolen handset) are used for the same phone system.

When Mr. Wabash (John Houseman) says of his WWII OSS service, "I sailed the Adriatic with a movie star at the helm." he is speaking of actual events which really happened. While Mr. Houseman was not involved, the movie star in question was Sterling Hayden. Hayden played New York Police Captain McCluskey in "The Godfather" (1972) who brutally punches Michael Corleone in the face and whom Michael Corleone later assassinates along with Sollozzo. During World War Two Hayden captained a fishing boat in the Adriatic Sea running the German naval blockade to smuggle guns and other supplies to resistance fighters in Yugoslavia ambushing and sabotaging the Nazi German occupiers. He was decorated with the Silver Star for heroism.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Devil and Miss Jones, 1941...

Frank Ross and Norman Krasna decided to produce a movie together starring Jean Arthur (Ross' wife) based on a story by Krasna. The three formed a partnership and borrowed $600,000 from a bank to finance the film.

The script was written in ten weeks and then Sam Wood came on board as director. Krasna described the experience of making the film as one of the best in his career.

RKO agreed to distribute the film. It was Arthur's first film at RKO since The Ex-Mrs. Bradford. Robert Cummings was signed to play the male lead; he was shooting a film at MGM concurrently.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Three Days of the Condor, 1975...

The Bell System switching station is a noisy place. As this was in the mid-1970s before the phone company could ramp up to digital, all of the switching was done mechanically using tiny servos to physically move electronic contacts. One can see the earliest stages of this transition as both touch-tone and dial phones (the stolen handset) are used for the same phone system.

When Mr. Wabash (John Houseman) says of his WWII OSS service, "I sailed the Adriatic with a movie star at the helm." he is speaking of actual events which really happened. While Mr. Houseman was not involved, the movie star in question was Sterling Hayden. Hayden played New York Police Captain McCluskey in "The Godfather" (1972) who brutally punches Michael Corleone in the face and whom Michael Corleone later assassinates along with Sollozzo. During World War Two Hayden captained a fishing boat in the Adriatic Sea running the German naval blockade to smuggle guns and other supplies to resistance fighters in Yugoslavia ambushing and sabotaging the Nazi German occupiers. He was decorated with the Silver Star for heroism.
    Not a bad film, based on the book 'Six Days of the Condor'. Does this mean you only get half of the story, or did they only have half the money needed to make the full version?
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread