+ Reply to Thread
Page 1045 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 45545945995103510431044104510461047105510951145 ... LastLast
Results 10,441 to 10,450 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

Blast from the Past, 1999. directed by Hugh Wilson and starring Brendan Fraser, Alicia Silverstone, Christopher Walken, Sissy Spacek, and Dave Foley.

Film recieved mixed reviews and just made a profit. I like this; I think Walken and Spacek steal the show tho
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Film time, and Hitchcock's The Lady Vanishes, 1938. starring Margaret Lockwood and Michael Redgrave, and support from May Whitty, Cecil Parker, Googie Withers and the pairing of Naunton Wayne and Basil Radford playing Charter and Caldicott. This is the Criterion Region A bluray.

The story is blessed by great characters and many witty and imaginative touches, in particular the conceit by which the passengers are each given selfish motives for refusing to verify Iris' story. As well as the chemistry between the two leads, the film has some of Hitchcock's best character parts, with Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne particularly good value as the cricket obsessed Charters and Caldicott.

The American film critic and historian Leonard Maltin gave the film four out of four stars in his Movie Guide and included the film in his list of 100 Must-See Films of the 20th Century. The Guardian called the film "one of the greatest train movies from the genre's golden era", and a contender for the "title of best comedy thriller ever made".
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Carry On Girls, 1973. regulars Sid James, Barbara Windsor, Joan Sims, Kenneth Connor, Patsy Rowlands, June Whitfield, Bernard Bresslaw and Peter Butterworth all star.

The film marked a slightly more risqué treatment of the topic with more nudity and openly sexual jokes than previous films. Discreet cuts by the BBFC (mainly to saucy dialogue and the hotel fight sequence between bikini-clad contestants played by Barbara Windsor and Margaret Nolan) enabled the film to gain the more commercially acceptable A certificate (open to families) than the more restrictive AA certificate, barring entry to the under-fourteens.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest , 2006.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Going from the sublime to the ridiculous there Grant

Apropos 'The Lady Vanishes' being deemed by The Guardian to be "one of the greatest train movies from the genre's golden era", I would reserve that accolade for the Albert Finney version of 'Murder on the Orient Express'.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Carry On Girls, 1973. regulars Sid James, Barbara Windsor, Joan Sims, Kenneth Connor, Patsy Rowlands, June Whitfield, Bernard Bresslaw and Peter Butterworth all star.

The film marked a slightly more risqué treatment of the topic with more nudity and openly sexual jokes than previous films. Discreet cuts by the BBFC (mainly to saucy dialogue and the hotel fight sequence between bikini-clad contestants played by Barbara Windsor and Margaret Nolan) enabled the film to gain the more commercially acceptable A certificate (open to families) than the more restrictive AA certificate, barring entry to the under-fourteens.
    June Whitfield as Augusta Prodworthy. Margret Nolan as Dawn Breaks. Angela Grant as Miss Bangor. Sid James as Sidney Fiddler.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Been binging this weekend Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" TV series on Apple TV.

Haven't read the books, but aware of them, and was interested when I heard they made a TV series.
    Quite Game of Thrones-ey in scale,
    Pretty epic stuff.

Visually gorgeous, real AV demo stuff.
    6 episodes in its... intriguing.

Squid Game up next after this.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Squid Game up next after this.
    We succumbed to the hype - I enjoyed it, thought I would hate the dubbing but in the end you hardly notice as it is synced very well, although some of the voices were a bit annoying. Enjoy!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Been binging this weekend Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" TV series on Apple TV.
    Not heard of that, but I have read the books.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I just started watching that last night but only got about 20 minutes into it so far as I was falling asleep.

Based on the Enfield Poltergeist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enfield_poltergeist which is a fascinating case with a number of unresolved events.
    Finished watching this. Absolute shite. I got properly bored with about an hour to go so I just started looking for anachronisms. Note to Yank directors - if you're setting your film in 1970s London don't actually film it in London. London in the 1970s was run-down and filthy, it only got Disneyfied about 20 years ago.

Also poor people generally kept their houses clean even if they were a bit shabby. There's a difference between shabby and dirty.

Only a few wealthy people like doctors had big American-style 'fridges back then. Not single parents on benefits.

No 1930s semi-detached houses have huge American-style 'basements'. And even if they did they would be called 'cellars', not basements. And no-one in the UK keeps their automatic washing machine in the cellar. Even if they had a washing machine back in the 1970s which, if they were on the bones of their arses like the family in this film, I can guarantee they didn't.

That's enough for now.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread