+ Reply to Thread
Page 962 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 462862912952960961962963964972101210621462 ... LastLast
Results 9,611 to 9,620 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

See No Evil, Hear No Evil, 1989. Directed by Arthur Hiller, and stars Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder as the blind guy and the deaf guy.

The Film didnt do well with the critics but made a decent profit.

Joan Severance is the sexy gal in the red dress..

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Vertigo (1958)

Finally got round to watching this, it's rated as a classic.

James Stewart is an ex cop forced into retirement by his fear of heights. An old friend contacts him and asks him to keep an eye on his wife due to concerns about her mental health.

Great-looking film, you could make a still of pretty much any of the scenes into a painting. Hitchcock might have been an odd bloke but he knew his trade.

Like a lot of films from the 1950s the pacing is a bit slow but I did make it through to the end. One big problem is that Stewart was fifty years old at the time of filming, and looks it, and Kim Novak only 25. This makes it a bit hard to believe in their passionate romance on which the plot depends.

Lots of twists and turns, you never really know where it's going to go, which kept me watching despite the slow bits.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Are You Being Served (1977)

Film version of the 1970s sitcom. As is traditional with any 1970s British sit-com movie spin off, it follows the characters as they go on a foreign holiday (to the Costa Plonka).

Never bodes well when the titles for the big screen version look cheaper than the titles for the TV show. And it gets worse from there. The players are good, they're all veteran comedy actors, but they've got nothing to work with here. The humour is along the same lines as the 'Carry On' films but makes them look like comic genius by comparison.

Totally lame, I couldn't even make it all the way through.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I wouldn't have started! Martin you must have too much time on your hands.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I wouldn't have even started to watch that film; especially after have watched the classic 'Vertigo'! Martin you must have too much time on your hands.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Billy Wilder's Five Graves To Cairo, 1943. Starring Franchot Tone, Erich von Stroheim and Anne Baxter.

Eureka's newest remastered 4k transfer bluray.

Sourced from a brand new 4K master, newer even then the one used for Eureka’s recent release, Kino’s transfer is simply stunning, with a consistently sharp, richly detailed image that’s free of all signs of debris. Ample and evenly distributed grain helps preserve the original film-like texture of the 35mm print, while the high contrast ratio produces inky blacks and an impressive range of grays, which go a long way to highlighting John F. Seitz’s moody cinematography. The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is well balanced, capturing the full depth of Miklós Rózsa’s rousing score and sporting perfectly clean dialogue.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Are You Being Served (1977)
    I wouldn't even admit to watching that (even though I have ).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I wouldn't have even started to watch that film; especially after have watched the classic 'Vertigo'! Martin you must have too much time on your hands.
    I watched (actually a better word is 'attempted') 'Are You Being Served' first then, went on to 'Vertigo.'

It's true that if I am not working my time is completely free, on the other hand after staring at spread sheets all day I'm not good for much of anything other than watching low-brow seventies sit coms and similar tat. Even listening to music seems to require too much mental energy.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Another Hitchcock classic. Lifeboat, 1944, from a story by John Steinbeck. It stars Tallulah Bankhead and William Bendix, alongside Walter Slezak, Mary Anderson, John Hodiak, Henry Hull, Heather Angel, Hume Cronyn and Canada Lee. The film is set entirely on a lifeboat launched from a passenger vessel torpedoed and sunk by a Nazi U-boat.

One of Hitch's oddest and most controversial films.. also one of his best imo.

John Steinbeck wrote the screenplay but wasnt happy about its treatment and wanted his name removed....He was unsuccessful.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Another Hitchcock classic. Lifeboat, 1944
    Don't know it, but William Bendix was one of my favourite actors and Steinbeck was a great writer.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread