+ Reply to Thread
Page 1075 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 755759751025106510731074107510761077108511251175 ... LastLast
Results 10,741 to 10,750 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Another good film there Grant.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Total recall, 1990.

Streamed upstairs
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Being There, 1979. directed by Hal Ashby and stars Peter Sellers and Shirley MacLaine, and features Jack Warden, Melvyn Douglas, Richard Dysart, and Richard Basehart.

The film holds a score of 95% on Rotten Tomatoes based on 55 reviews, with an average rating of 8.56/10. The critical consensus reads: "Smart, sophisticated, and refreshingly subtle, Being There soars behind sensitive direction from Hal Ashby and a stellar Peter Sellers performance." In 2003 The New York Times placed the film on its Best 1000 Movies Ever list.

According to MacLaine, "(Peter) believed he was Chauncey. He never had lunch with me... He was Chauncey Gardiner the whole shoot, but believing he was having a love affair with me."

This is the Criterion remastered Bluray.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth
    "Smart, sophisticated, and refreshingly subtle"
    The emphasis is on subtle. I know several fans of Peter Seller films who just don't get it.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Being There, 1979
    It's a bit special.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The emphasis is on subtle. I know several fans of Peter Seller films who just don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It's a bit special.
    yes its a vey good, yet strange film i guess. either you get it on not. Thought Shirley Maclaine was outstanding.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Starman, 1984. directed by John Carpenter and stars Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen.

Jeff Bridges was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor, making Starman the only film by John Carpenter to receive an Academy Award nomination.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Starman, 1984. directed by John Carpenter and stars Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen
    I loved that film and have the DVD. Not watched it for years though.

(actually, it reminds me of 'K-PAX', which I also haven't seen for ages)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

The Odessa File, 1974, adapted from the 1972 novel of the same name by Frederick Forsyth. It stars Jon Voight, Mary Tamm, Maximilian Schell and Maria Schell and was directed by Ronald Neame.

Not the best Forsyth adaption but its ok.

The film's title song, "Christmas Dream", written by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice, was sung by Perry Como and the London Boy Singers.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

An old fav now, Throw Momma from the Train, 1987. Great performance from Anne Ramsey as 'Momma', with Billy Crystal and Danny Devito, who also directed.

Branford Marsalis and Kate Mulgrew both have roles as well

Good fun film...
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread