+ Reply to Thread
Page 1203 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 20370311031153119312011202120312041205121312531303 ... LastLast
Results 12,021 to 12,030 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Mash, 1970
    I haven't seen that for maybe the best part of forty years, I remember loving it though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I have the film as well as several DVDs of the TV series.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Small Time Crooks, 2000. Woody Allen claims he cast Tracey Ullman because she's one of the few comedians that makes him laugh.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

My Favorite Brunette, 1947. . Baby photographer Ronnie Jackson, on death row in San Quentin, tells reporters how he got there: taking care of his private-eye neighbor's office, Ronnie is asked by the irresistible Baroness Montay to find the missing Baron.

As Bob Hope attempts to hide the record in the chandelier, he finds a bottle of champagne. His remark, "Ray Milland was here!" is a reference to the latter's portrayal of an alcoholic in The Lost Weekend (1945).

This was the second of three comedies Bob Hope made for Paramount that featured "My Favorite..." in their titles. The first was My Favorite Blonde (1942), and the third was My Favorite Spy (1951). All three paired Hope with sexy females, had fast-paced plots, and were peppered with cameos by major stars. All three were also among Hope's biggest box-office hits.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Foreign Correspondent, 1940.. Criterion Bluray remaster....

Shooting was completed on May 29, 1940, after which director Alfred Hitchcock made a visit to England. He returned on July 3 with the word that the Germans were expected to start bombing at any time. Ben Hecht was hurriedly called in and wrote the tacked-on final scene set at a London radio station. It was filmed on July 5, and the real-life bombing started on July 10, 1940.

When the plane crash sequence was shot, a special tub within the studio tank had to be built for Herbert Marshall, who couldn't swim because he only had one leg (he'd lost a leg in combat in World War I).

In a 1972 interview on The Dick Cavett Show (1968), Alfred Hitchcock revealed that the plane crash scene was filmed by using footage shot from a stunt plane diving on the ocean, rear projected on rice paper in front of a cockpit set. Also, behind the rice paper were two chutes aimed at the cockpit's windshield connected to large tanks of water. With the press of a button at the right moment, water came crashing through the rice paper, into the plane simulating the plane crashing into the sea from the cockpit view.

When this movie was made, America was not part of World War II. At this time, several Hollywood studios were pro-American involvement in the war. This movie is one of several movies made during the late 1930s and early 1940s that represented pro-American intervention in the war. These movies include Confessions of a Nazi Spy (1939), The Mortal Storm (1940), A Yank in the R.A.F. (1941), Man Hunt (1941), and Sergeant York (1941).
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

High Sierra, 1941...

In addition to Hal B. Wallis, Humphrey Bogart also sent several telegrams to studio head Jack L. Warner, begging to be cast as Roy Earle. After Paul Muni left Warner Bros. in a contract dispute and George Raft turned down the role, Warner called Bogart and told him the part was his . . . on the condition that Bogart stop sending him telegrams.

John Huston would later remark on Humphrey Bogart's unique appeal in the role of Roy Earle: "Bogie was a medium-sized man, not particularly impressive off-screen, but something happened when he was playing the right part. Those lights and shadows composed themselves into another, nobler personality: heroic, as in 'High Sierra'. I swear the camera has a way of looking into a person and perceiving things that the naked eye doesn't register."

Raoul Walsh says in his biography that Humphrey Bogart always complained about anything or everything: food given for lunch, settings, conditions of shooting - everything.

interesting fact. mount whitney is mentioned as being 14,501ft, but now 81 yrs on its grown by 4 ft
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

North by Northwest, 1959...

While filming Vertigo (1958), Sir Alfred Hitchcock described some of the plot of this project to frequent Hitchcock leading man and "Vertigo" star James Stewart, who naturally assumed that Hitchcock meant to cast him in the Roger Thornhill role, and was eager to play it. Actually, Hitchcock wanted Cary Grant to play the role. By the time Hitchcock realized the misunderstanding, Stewart was so anxious to play Thornhill that rejecting him would have caused a great deal of disappointment. So Hitchcock delayed production on this movie until Stewart was already safely committed to filming Otto Preminger's "Anatomy of a Murder (1959)" before "officially" offering him the role in this movie. Stewart had no choice but to turn down the offer, allowing Hitchcock to cast Grant, the actor he had wanted all along.

This movie has been referred to as "the first James Bond film" due to its similarities with splashily colorful settings, secret agents, and an elegant, daring, wisecracking leading man opposite a sinister yet strangely charming villain. The crop duster scene inspired the helicopter chase in From Russia with Love (1963). And another Bond nod to this film is the person in a couchette scene, used in a slightly different way in the 1973 007 film "Live and Let Die."
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Lady Vanishes, 1938... Criterion bluray remastered..

The set on which the movie was shot was only 90 feet (27.4 meters) long.

The British Board of Film Censors, to avoid political controversy, would not allow the foreign villains to be specifically identified in the script as Germans.

Gilbert says he once drove "a miniature engine on the Dymchurch line". The Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway is a real-life miniature (1/3 normal size) railway in southeast England, which as of 2003 still uses steam locomotives, and carries passengers over 13 miles (21 kilometers) of the route.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Crossed Swords, 1977...Kino Lorber Bluray remaster. (aka The Prince And The Pauper)

Although playing a nine-year-old, Mark Lester was actually eighteen at the time of filming. A drunken Oliver Reed brought a prostitute as a gift for Mark Lester to celebrate his birthday on July 11, 1976.

The film takes place from January 26 to February 20, 1547.

Charlton Heston, Raquel Welch, Oliver Reed, and Sybil Danning also appeared together in two previous Alexander Salkind and Ilya Salkind productions, The Three Musketeers (1973) and The Four Musketeers (1974). All three films were also written by George MacDonald Fraser, and produced by Pierre Spengler.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    North by Northwest, 1959...

Great film - one of my favourites, including the 'Freudian' ending!
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread