+ Reply to Thread
Page 1202 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 20270211021152119212001201120212031204121212521302 ... LastLast
Results 12,011 to 12,020 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Koyaanisqatsi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koyaanisqatsi

The title is a Hopi native North American word for "life out of balance", and is just as valid today as it was when it was made in 1982.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Good film - I have it on DVD.
    its a film i really like on various levels barry... i have a copy on 4k on order actually so will rewatch on the higher def soon. its such a superb film as a story(you couldnt make it up and be believed), as a spectacle with some of the shots you or I will never see, and as an emotional drain, with a glorious finale too. The fact that its 95% true is irrelevant i think initially but its a 'sucker punch'.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I saw this at my film club and couldn't make head nor tail of it - and I'm not sure if I can be bothered to watch it again.
    its basically a dream for the first 2/3s and then reality at end. obviously its super complex and i dont get it all either, but its so beautiful i enjoy trying to eke out a bit more on every watch. the 4k version is stunning
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Powaqqatsi (1988)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powaqqatsi

The title is a Hopi word for "life in transition" (or "a parasitic way of life"). It is the second film in the '-qatsi' trilogy.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

A Beautiful Mind, 2001...

John Nash visited the set, and Russell Crowe said later that he had been fascinated by the way he moved his hands, and he had tried to do the same thing in the movie. He thought it would help him get into the character.

The film was shot in sequence in order to help Russell Crowe develop a consistently progressive manner of behavior.

John and Alicia Nash were killed in a car accident on May 23, 2015, when the driver of a taxi they were riding in lost control of the car and collided with a guard rail and a second car on the New Jersey Turnpike. The New York Times said that although the two drivers suffered only minor injures, the Nashes were "ejected from the cab and pronounced dead at the scene." John was 86 and Alicia was 82.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Monuments Men, 2014.. The "Monuments Men," were a group of approximately 345 men and women from thirteen nations, most of whom volunteered for service in the newly created MFAA section during World War II. Many had expertise as museum directors, curators, art historians, artists, architects, and educators. Their job description was simple: to protect cultural treasures so far as war allowed.

The German vehicle (A "Kubelwagen") commandeered by Epstein and Stokes is eventually adorned with a hand-painted star in a circle on its side, redesignating it as a U.S. military vehicle. This is a recreation of an actual photograph taken during the war of a member of the Monuments Men driving the exact same model vehicle, complete with a hand-painted circled star on the side door. The recreation in the film is perfect, right down to the American military trailer it pulls behind it.

When Frank and James meet Donald Jefferies at the airfield, they walk past a B-17, with the serial number, 124485 on the tail. That plane is the Memphis Belle.

The cast includes six Oscar winners: George Clooney, Matt Damon, Cate Blanchett, Alexander Desplat, Jean Dujardin and Grant Heslov; and two nominees: Bill Murray and Bob Balaban.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    The Monuments Men, 2014
    Not seen that, supposed to be a good movie I believe.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    yes, its very good. i saw it a good few years ago tho so dunno what it will be like on second viewing. so for i dont remember too much tho.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It's watchable but I thought it was a lot about nothing really.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It's watchable but I thought it was a lot about nothing really.
    european heritage over last 1000yrs nothing? lol

i thought it a well worth watching film. guess like most films with all superstar casts, it doesnt do them justice, or them it. strangely they rarely work as well as you'd think.

anyhoo...lol

Mash, 1970.

The first take of the shot where Hot Lips is revealed in the shower didn't work because Sally Kellerman anticipated the reveal, and was already lying on the floor when the tent flap went up. To distract her, Robert Altman and Gary Burghoff entered the shower tent and dropped their trousers while the shot was rolling outside. While Kellerman was staring at them, the tent flap was raised, resulting in her genuine surprise and shock when she realized what had happened. In the Special Edition double disc DVD, they say that Radar (portrayed by Gary Burghoff) had been standing naked beside the camera, and that's the reason why Sally Kellerman looks so surprised when the flap was raised.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread