+ Reply to Thread
Page 1027 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 27527927977101710251026102710281029103710771127 ... LastLast
Results 10,261 to 10,270 of 14855

Thread: Now Screening - What Are You Watching Right Now?

I'm Grant.

Heaven Can Wait, 1978. Co-directed by Warren Beatty and Buck Henry, and stars Beatty, Julie Christie, and Jack Warden. The film was nominated for nine Academy Awards, winning 2.

On Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval "Certified Fresh" rating of 88% based on 42 reviews, with an average rating of 7.5/10. The site's critical consensus reads "A throwback to the high-gloss screwball comedies of the 1940s, Heaven Can Wait beguiles with seamless production values and great comic relief from Charles Grodin and Dyan Cannon." Metacritic gave the film a weighted average score of 72 out of 100 based on 10 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews"
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Heaven Can Wait, 1943. Directed by Ernst Lubitsch and stars Gene Tierney, Don Ameche, and Charles Coburn.

Nominated for 3 Academy Awards, although won none.

The last film i watched had the same name as this, but was a remake of Here Comes Mr Jordan(1941) so no-one gets mixed up lol.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Tora! Tora! Tora!, 1970. Directed by Richard Fleischer, Toshio Masuda and Kinji Fukasaku, and stars an ensemble cast including Martin Balsam, Joseph Cotten, So Yamamura, E.G. Marshall, James Whitmore, Tatsuya Mihashi, Takahiro Tamura, Wesley Addy, and Jason Robards.

Richard Fleischer said of Akira Kurosawa's role in the project:

Well, I always thought that even though Kurosawa was a genius at film-making and indeed he was, I sincerely believe that he was miscast for this film, this was not his type of film to make, he never made anything like it and it just wasn't his style. I felt he was not only uncomfortable directing this kind of movie but also he wasn't used to having somebody tell him how he should make his film. He always had complete autonomy, and nobody would dare make a suggestion to Kurosawa about the budget, or shooting schedule, or anything like that. And then here he was, with Darryl Zanuck on his back and Richard Zanuck on him and Elmo Williams and the production managers, and it was all stuff that he never had run into before, because he was always untouchable. I think he was getting more and more nervous and more insecure about how he was going to work on this film. And of course, the press got a hold of a lot of this unrest on the set and they made a lot out of that in Japan, and it was more pressure on him, and he wasn't used to that kind of pressure.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Uninvited, 1944. directed by Lewis Allen and stars Ray Milland, Ruth Hussey, Gail Russell and Donald Crisp.

This was thought at time to be a well made and scary picture for grown ups.

This is the remastered Bluray version from Criterion.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

The Man with Two Brains, 1983. directed by Carl Reiner and starring Steve Martin and Kathleen Turner.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

One of the few screwball comedies of Steve Martin that I like.

Love the way the David Warner character has his appartement decorated to look like Frankenstein's castle.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

School for Scoundrels, 1960. Directed by Robert Hamer stars Ian Carmichael, Alistair Sim, Janette Scott and Terry-Thomas.

Film did quite well at box office but was disliked by critics. Much better thought of nowadays.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    School for Scoundrels, 1960. Directed by Robert Hamer stars Ian Carmichael, Alistair Sim, Janette Scott and Terry-Thomas.
    I always liked that, Alastair Sim was the master of wry comic acting.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

RED, 2010. Directed by Robert Schwentke and stars Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren, Karl Urban and Mary-Louise Parker, alongside Rebecca Pidgeon, Brian Cox, Richard Dreyfuss, Julian McMahon, Ernest Borgnine, and James Remar.

The film did well at box office again, but was not liked much by critics.(what do they know)
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    RED, 2010. Directed by Robert Schwentke and stars Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren, Karl Urban and Mary-Louise Parker, alongside Rebecca Pidgeon, Brian Cox, Richard Dreyfuss, Julian McMahon, Ernest Borgnine, and James Remar.

The film did well at box office again, but was not liked much by critics.(what do they know)
    Much like 'Ryan's Daughter' - slated by the critics, loved by cinema goers.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread